Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Anyone else do 20 rep squats

JDiddy

Don Juan
Reaction score
Amazing said:
are you sure overtraining won't happen though? doing this 2-3 times a week for a month? I am not doing upper body like I said, so my legs are going to get huge, what will happen to my upper body?
To avoid overtraining during this program:

1. Do NOT go to work/school. This will distract you from eating and sleeping
2. No going out late and/or drinking
3. 4lts of milk a day
4. In bed at a decent time and only get up when you are feeling well rested. Throw your alarm clock away
5. Eat everything on site
6: Dont allow anything outside the gym to worry you/cause stress.

Do that, you'll last the full 6 weeks. You'll have abit of a 'milk gut' but that'll dissapear fast when you go off the GOMAD

Keep in mind this program is one of the most brutal things you can do in a gym.

I dunno what will happen to your upperbody if you dont intend to train it. I reckon you should at least throw in Military press and Bench

Stud

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
i just started my third week.

began the program at 236lbs. right now at 242 so a gain of 7lbs in two weeks.

the program i follow looks something like this:

1x10 135lbs warmup squat
1x20 squat (started at 135, up to 190 now)
1x20 straight legged dead
1x15 bench press
1x15 concentration curl
1x10 power clean
1x15 shoulder press
1x15 pullup
1x15 dip

like i said, i'm about 1/2 way thru the program. realistically, i will end the program around 250. i would like to cut down my weight again immediately after i'm done. for you guys who have finished the program, what program do you follow to get whatever milk fat you have put on?

Mex

Don Juan
Reaction score
I just tried 20 reppers yesterday and they feel much different. I have always done 3x5. My max was 3x5x215 (lbs), and now I did 20x145. I thought 145 would be cake, but after about 13 reps or so it just feels completely different. My legs are sore today, as if I was starting out again. I was surprised since I was doing 200+ for 3x5 and not getting any soreness before. I am not worried about it since it is just a new type of training. Also, I was more gassed after the set than I expected, and more so than say 3x5x200. The stamina requirements are something you don't notice when doing lower reps. I can only imagine what it feels like to do 20 reps at 200+ lbs...haha...although I am sure I wont be laughing attempt to do such a thing. I am looking forward to suffering with the folks here over the next few weeks!

Stud

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
just started my fifth week...did 225lbs 20 times last workout. what an ass kicker!!

i am up to about 247lbs so about 11lbs put on so far. i am really going to look to burn off some of the fat put on once this program is over, but when you are doing it you cant help but eat everything in sight!!

Jitterbug

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Good to see new names in this!

I have a couple more weeks with heavy weights low reps, then I'll rejoin you all!

My last best was 105kg (~235lbs) x20 at 82kg (183lbs) bodyweight. Currently I'm about 80kg and my goal for the next 20 rep run (as well as my goal for 2010) is to get to 120kg (267lbs) x20 i.e 1.5BW x20.

RMM

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Doing a journal, but heck, I should post in this thread too :D

Just finished my 4th week, 92.5 kg x20 (203 pounds), 96 kg bodyweight. Still two weeks (at least!) to go, if I manage I should end up at ~235 pounds x20. That'd be pretty good I'd say!

undunk

Reaction score
Due to stuff that happens over 50 years or so I take a hiatus from squats from time to time. Usually due low back stuff. But it seems that I cant make any progress or even maintain any level of muscle mass unless I squat. My knees hurt eventually when I lay off of them and my upper body just seems to fade away even when Im doing my normal workout without them and it gets very difficult to maintain my weight. They also are better than cardio at helping me manage my blood sugar. Leg presses arent the same. Any one else have the same experience?

Fuglydude

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Jitterbug said:
Good to see new names in this!

I have a couple more weeks with heavy weights low reps, then I'll rejoin you all!

My last best was 105kg (~235lbs) x20 at 82kg (183lbs) bodyweight. Currently I'm about 80kg and my goal for the next 20 rep run (as well as my goal for 2010) is to get to 120kg (267lbs) x20 i.e 1.5BW x20.
1.5 BW x 20 for squats would be crazy! I'm getting nauseous and uneasy just thinking about it! I can barely do BW x 20. You gotta post a video of it once you get to that stage!

backbreaker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Fuglydude said:
1.5 BW x 20 for squats would be crazy! I'm getting nauseous and uneasy just thinking about it! I can barely do BW x 20. You gotta post a video of it once you get to that stage!
that's about what I do. it's called a superset.

My max is close to 500 pounds. 480 on a good day. What I do is 1. a warm up set of like 10 at 300 pounds. Then I do a set of 10 at 475. I rest for about 2-4 minutes, then I do a superset. I go to ten.. by then you want to quit. then you just hold the weight and take it 1 at a time from there. it's not like you can jsut go down and do another 10 just like you did the first ten. this **** will kill you but this is how you grow and how you pack on the muscle, and whY i have a perfectly formed back. damn near 3 times my body weight actually. Squatting when you do it right you can add the weight, faster than deadlifts and faster than bench pressing. Actually that damn near right at 3x my body weight, i'm 170 on a really good day.

that 3x5 is pure BS IMHO.

if you want to get the most effective workout you don't need more than 2 sets and a good warmup set.

I have found at least for me if I can honestly do more than 2 sets, i'm really not trying hard enough when I'm in the gym. By the time i'm done squatting i have to rest for about 5 mintues before moving on.

Fuglydude

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Backbreaker, thats' some sick squatting numbers at 170 lb bodyweight!!! How tall are ya? Why aren't you competing???? If you're doing 3x bodyweight raw, you'd blow away most of your competition at the regional area easily! Your deads should be at least 550ish I'd guess.

You gotta get some vids up to see your form... would love to pilfer/assimilate any tricks that you do w/ your form.

My squats are totally lagging. I think its because I simply haven't done the ground work that I have done w/ other stuff. Now that I'm not training as hard for aesthetics, I'm hoping I can bring these up.

Keep it man, those are some insane numbers and give me something to strive for.

backbreaker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
5'8 and 3/4ths

i've been lifting weigths for almost 6 years straight now, not like i picked them up a year ago or anything

my stats are squat, 475, dead 405, bench 265

mainly rest.. don't over work yourself, focus on one part, give that body part 2 solid days rest and eat a lot of protein. my bench should be higher. want to get it to 300. other than that i'm pretty damn content where I am, not a professional bodybuilder or anything

when i started lifting weghts i was (seriously) benching 95 pounds, squating about 105 and dead lifting about 75 pounds. just get in the gym and work. it will come

honestly if I took my diet more seriously it would be there. i eat clean but cheat alot now and honestly really don't care. my BF is really the only thing I care about, as long as it's under 10% i'm good

Jitterbug

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
bb, did I read that right? You're doing 20 rep squat at 475 lbs??? I've seen some huge guys doing it, but that's farking incredible for a 170lbs fella. Not even similar sized Olympic lifters or powerlifters could do it.

Unless that number's a typo, please upload a video!

I could imagine someone your size squatting 475lbs for 1RM, as that's what the elite lifters could do, but 475lbs x20 is a huge claim borderline on impossibility, so please excuse my skepticism, no offense meant. :)

If you seriously could squat 475lbs x20, then your squat 1RM must be way into the 500s and your deadlift should be much higher than a mere 405lbs. Literally you could just squat that deadlift weight all the way up to where you just need a simple lockout.

backbreaker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
backbreaker said:
you know there was alot i was going to say.. but i'm not. if you thinking i am lying makes you sleep better at night you think that. no skin off my back
I'll just say what I said in that thread and you never responded to:

Your true squat should not be 120 lbs heavier than your deadlift. Assuming we're talking unequipped numbers, if you can squat 550 lbs to full depth (top of thigh at hip joint below top of knee), you can deadlift well over 600 lbs. Unless you have some kind of hand injury that prevents you from holding onto anything heavier than 430, you aren't squatting to full depth and you're just stroking your ego (and probably ****ing your knees up).

It's aggravating as **** when guys come on here and make ridiculous claims of how much they can lift, and they're clearly lying or just stroking their egos, when there are guys on here working hard and lifting correctly. You're either lying about your numbers, or you are stronger than elite weightlifters and powerlifters and just have a hand injury or something that affects your grip :rolleyes:

ATP

Don Juan
Reaction score
20 rep @ 475 would mean a squat into the 600s, probably around 650 lbs. At your bodyweight it would pretty much tangent the record lift in my country for that weight. Or is it just a typo? A 375 lbs squat for 20 I could see, it would mean a 1 RM around 500+ and would still be very impressive.

Jitterbug

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Don't know why he's defensive all of a sudden. When you make huge claims, of course you'll be questioned.

Maybe he can truly lift 475lbs for 20 reps but can't lift his ego for 1RM.