Anyone else do 20 rep squats

Fuglydude

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
That's a pretty crazy endurance regimen to do! My stage shows (when I do them) are like 15-20 minutes and I'm gassed afterwards! Even stagettes, which can go longer at times, are tiring. I find although my heart/lungs can deal w/ most things, my muscular endurance is in the pits. I don't really have the motivation to work on this either, as I know it doesn't really fit my natural body type.

I'm definitely not an endurance guy... my athletic background (at the university level) is in track (60 m sprint) and bobsleigh. So, you give it everything you have for ~7 seconds, then cut the power and hang on! I tried a little bit of endurance stuff in junior high school, but sucked bad!

I'm trying a 3 x 3 combined w/ a 1 x 20 regimen, and it seems to be working reasonably well. I'd love to put some serious mass on my legs, as they are only 24-25" right now. I'm 5'8-180 at around 10% bf, and could definitely use more mass in my legs.

synergy1

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Its about your active recovery system, and athletes tend to require it in order to do a full match - that's why I asked if he played any sports. I bet according to that calculator that my 1 rep max is over 400, but its closer to 340 and that is pushing it.

fugly you want mass on your legs, go play some pickup hockey. You are in canada so it should be easy to find some pickup. I have been playing for god knows how many years, and it has greatly affected my leg size and strength when compared to my upper body (the upper body lags behind for sure).

JDiddy

Don Juan
Reaction score
The calculator dosnt work with 20 rep breathing squats (we ARE talking about breathing squats here arnt we?)

Your 20rep breathing squat is probably the same weight as your 10-12 rep regular squat

Jitterbug

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
JDiddy said:
Your 20rep breathing squat is probably the same weight as your 10-12 rep regular squat
This.

20 rep breathing squat is about taking a weight you can do for 10 and do it for 20, with plenty of breathing and do-what-Jesus-tells-you inbetween reps.

amoka

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I have to join this ship. I have been the same weight of 184 (plus and minus 6 lbs) for the last 4 years. My goal is to reach about 220lbs but all my efforts of going to the gym 5-7 times per week proved to be futile. I NEVER performed squats but can do about 225lbs @ 7 rep of bench press. Any suggestions on the easier way to go about starting this 20 rep of squats because I have the feeling it is the ticket to achieving my goals. Can someone post his daily workout routine?

synergy1

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
amoka said:
I have to join this ship. I have been the same weight of 184 (plus and minus 6 lbs) for the last 4 years. My goal is to reach about 220lbs but all my efforts of going to the gym 5-7 times per week proved to be futile. I NEVER performed squats but can do about 225lbs @ 7 rep of bench press. Any suggestions on the easier way to go about starting this 20 rep of squats because I have the feeling it is the ticket to achieving my goals. Can someone post his daily workout routine?
http://www.crossfit.com/

nothing has worked better in order to improve overall athletic ability. I don't really do these day in and day out, but throw them in when I can. Very difficult to do them as prescribed. E.g don't try throwing in 20 rep squats and a full CF workout.

Jitterbug

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
amoka, you should start squatting first and get to the point where your form is decent and you're confident with it, and you're squatting at least 100kg (220lbs) for a few reps. This is because 20 rep breathing squat starts at much lower weights than your max, and towards the higher reps, your form is prone to breaking down badly.

As for routine, each person has one that works for him at a certain stage in his training. The general idea is:

- 3 weight sessions plus up to 2 cardio sessions a week.
- In every weight session: squat, pick something heavy off the ground, put something heavy overhead (i.e squat, push and pull), plus some assistant exercises if needed.
- In cardio sessions: it's better to do short ones that require muscular effort, not just boring long, low intensity activities (like running on the treadmill). e.g: Tabata thrusters, DB/KB swings, burpees etc.

Also remember that SIZE (or fat loss / muscle gain) is built at the dinner table and NOT at the gym. You have to match your efforts during those few hours at the gym with equal discipline for the other 160 hours of your week. What you're doing at the gym is to shock your body into making changes.

I squat 3 times a week. My weight sessions are Tue, Thu and Sat. Tue & Sat are my 20 rep squats OR heavy weight low rep squats (I do about 4 weeks of each then swap). Mixing the two is not recommended as it can be too much for your body to take, resulting in lousy performance in both. Thu is front squat OR overhead squat for me.

Each session I also do a pressing exercise, like Overhead Press (alt b/w Military or Push Press) or Bench Press (alt b/w heavy and speed BP) and a pulling exercise (Power cleans or Barbell bent over rows - once a month I deadlift).

Other exercises: chin-ups, pull-ups, dips, abs (I've been doing hanging leg raises but getting the ab wheels).

amoka

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Jitterbug said:
amoka, you should start squatting first and get to the point where your form is decent and you're confident with it, and you're squatting at least 100kg (220lbs) for a few reps. This is because 20 rep breathing squat starts at much lower weights than your max, and towards the higher reps, your form is prone to breaking down badly.

As for routine, each person has one that works for him at a certain stage in his training. The general idea is:

- 3 weight sessions plus up to 2 cardio sessions a week.
- In every weight session: squat, pick something heavy off the ground, put something heavy overhead (i.e squat, push and pull), plus some assistant exercises if needed.
- In cardio sessions: it's better to do short ones that require muscular effort, not just boring long, low intensity activities (like running on the treadmill). e.g: Tabata thrusters, DB/KB swings, burpees etc.

Also remember that SIZE (or fat loss / muscle gain) is built at the dinner table and NOT at the gym. You have to match your efforts during those few hours at the gym with equal discipline for the other 160 hours of your week. What you're doing at the gym is to shock your body into making changes.

I squat 3 times a week. My weight sessions are Tue, Thu and Sat. Tue & Sat are my 20 rep squats OR heavy weight low rep squats (I do about 4 weeks of each then swap). Mixing the two is not recommended as it can be too much for your body to take, resulting in lousy performance in both. Thu is front squat OR overhead squat for me.

Each session I also do a pressing exercise, like Overhead Press (alt b/w Military or Push Press) or Bench Press (alt b/w heavy and speed BP) and a pulling exercise (Power cleans or Barbell bent over rows - once a month I deadlift).

Other exercises: chin-ups, pull-ups, dips, abs (I've been doing hanging leg raises but getting the ab wheels).
This is just what I am looking for. Thanks bro.

Amazing

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
so today after not squatting for awhile i went and did 3 sets on leg press

then worked up to 235 x 3

and did 135x20 = is that like normal/good? at 174lbs?

Jitterbug

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Normal is bodyweight x20.

Good is 1.5x bodyweight x20.

20 rep breathing squat isn't something you do for one session. It's for at least 4~6 weeks (up to 8 if you could take it), 2-3 times a week, increasing weights every session.

Amazing

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Jitterbug said:
Normal is bodyweight x20.

Good is 1.5x bodyweight x20.

20 rep breathing squat isn't something you do for one session. It's for at least 4~6 weeks (up to 8 if you could take it), 2-3 times a week, increasing weights every session.

Thanks, so what does it accomplish? 20 rep is more for muscle endurance than strenght (4-6) or size (8-12), right?

Jitterbug

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The King of gaining size and strength. Used to be called the squat and milk program.

Google it and read. It's been around for a long long time.

JDiddy

Don Juan
Reaction score
Amazing said:
Thanks, so what does it accomplish? 20 rep is more for muscle endurance than strenght (4-6) or size (8-12), right?
if it was 20 streight non breathing reps then maybe

20rep breathing squats are more like 1x5, then 15x1, but all the time your entire upper body, back, core muscles are being constantly hammered just by holding onto the bar for 3 minutes. It might be safe to say 20rep squat hit every muscle under the bar

I usually walk (stagger) away feeling like ive done a grueling forearm, shoulder, upper/lower back, upper leg, calf excercise all at the same time

20rep squats are probably the cheapest anabolic steroid for overall muscular growth

RMM

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
One other thing about 20 rep squats.

You're going to walk around more upright than you have ever done while you're doing these. At least that's what's happening to me :D

Jitterbug

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Nothing makes you prouder once you've conquered The 20 rep squat Beast!

Amazing

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
gonna give it a go.

i think i messed up my shoulder and can't do much upper body. Will do these and see what happens.

amoka

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Squat is something I have not done before so I'm on a slow start. I did 20 squats with 115lb on Monday. Today, I increased it to 135lb. I tried doing 225lb of squats but was only able to to push 3. I give respect to those that push 1.5 times their weight on squat... particularly 20.

Amazing

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
well well well

I did it the proper way today - the whole take a breath and go down.

Loaded up 165, good news is I was able to keep it going, had the burning sensation in the calves and a bit of arms and traps, but I only ended up pushing out about 15.

I did another set after, and I'd say ended with 13-14.

Sure does make you feel pretty pumped. Did some iso work on leg ext and ham curls after.

Jitterbug

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Take some weights off and do the full 20.

You don't want to rush on this. You're meant to squat 2-3 times a week for at least a month while increasing weights between 5~10lbs every session, so take your time, because the weight gets heavy & hard very quickly.

Amazing

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
are you sure overtraining won't happen though? doing this 2-3 times a week for a month? I am not doing upper body like I said, so my legs are going to get huge, what will happen to my upper body?

Top Bottom