Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Andrews Bulking Thread

Lost

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hey, this will be my progress thread for bulking.

Stats
i just took some pictures with my digital camera. i will post the pictures, but i dont know how, can someone explain?

Today is January 12th, 2005 Wednesday. I am not a beginner to bodybuilding.. i did it for about 20 months, but i havent done it for 6 months now, and im getting back into it.

Im 18 years old, freshman in college.
Im only about 5'6 or 5'5 or so.

Nutritional :
Im an ectomorph and have a tough time gaining weight (stay in the 120 range), so igotta eat a lottttt this time.
I will basically eat scrambled eggs,oatmeal,canned tuna, cottage cheese, milk, water, and whey protein. Add in random other foods for extra calories.

I will post my weight once i find it out and i will post those pictures once someone tells me how.

I have started getting into the habit of eating every 2 and a half hours and i am returning to college this coming tuesday, january the 18th 2005. and i will start my new routine then.

Workout Routine:
Here is my routine that i will do, Centaurion helped me a lot with this and picked it out:

Day 1 : Chest and Back

Chest

Flat Barbell Bench Press : 2 x 6-8 reps
Low Incline Dumbbell Press : 2 x 6-8 reps
Dips : 2 x 6-8 reps

Back

Chin ups : 2 x 6-8 reps
Deadlifts : 2 x 6-8 reps
Barbell Rows : 2 x 6-8 reps
Shrugs : 1 x 10 reps

Day 2 : OFF

Day 3 : Legs

Squats : 2 x 6-8 reps
Hack Squats : 2 x 6-8 reps
Leg Curls : 2 x 6-8 reps
Straight Legged Deadlifts : 2 x 6-8 reps
Standing Calve Raises : 4 x 10 reps

Day 4 : OFF

Day 5 : Shoulders, Triceps and Biceps

Shoulders

Military Press in Rack : 2 x 6-8 reps
Seated Dumbbell Press : 2 x 6-8 reps
Standing Lateral Raises : 2 x 10 reps

Triceps :

Narrow Grip bench Press : 2 x 6-8 reps
French Press : 2 x 6-8 reps

Biceps :

Barbell Curls : 2 x 6-8 reps
Hammer Curls : 1 x 6-8 reps

Day 6 : OFF

Day 7 : OFF

Abs to be done on any training day of personal choice. [I will do them on legs day and see how it goes. some exercises may change(be substituted) if i cant do them at my college gym

Crunches : 4 x 8-10 reps

Lookin forward to some gains!

Pfeile

Don Juan
Reaction score
You are like an exact double of me lol! My name is Andrew, I'm 18, I'll be starting my first year of university (college) soon, I'm 5'4, I even look a little like you! :D But you weigh more, as I'm only 49kg (108lb).

I want to start bulking up this year too, and I've been doing research for the past few days on how I'm going to go about doing so. I'm thinking of getting the program from skinnyguy.net but I'm not so keen on buying stuff online.

Good luck with your bulking, I might join you in the not too distant future. :)

MrFitness880

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I have to say that looks like a really good routine. Youve got all the major lifts as your focus. Good volume, and nice rep range. impressive :)

Few thoughts though.

Id personally put deadlifts ahead of pullups. Its just a more taxing exercise and i like to do them fresh to hit the most weight and make sure i have enough energy to not have to worry about losing form

Dont be afraid to change up rep ranges some. youve got a good routine there, but a lot of people find that different ranges work for different areas of the body

that said, again, you have a really solid routine. that will do you a lot of good

assuming...

you have the diet to match! Make sure youre eating a lot of food. not just enough protein, but healhty carbs and fats too. you need those in your diet just as much as protein. and at this point try to stick to real food as much as you can...that tho is part of my own personal bias.

try writing down a normal days intake of food for you, and let us take a look at it and see if we can suggest anything

Lost

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
So you think the order should go:
Deadlifts
Chinups
Barbell Row
Shrugs

?

Important Question:
Also what should i eat while im at the university. im there from 9-12 basically.. and i will go to the gym afterwards.

but if you think about it, i wake up at like 6 or 7 am.... ill have breakfast and go to school. so say i have breakfast at 7:30 am...... and i go to class.. that means its 12 before i have any free time. thats 5 freakin hours. i could get 2 meals in there, but thers 10 minutes between classes and i have to walk to each, so what can i eat while walking that is good for bulking????

Also, should i just put whey protein in a bottle for post workout, and then fill it up with water from the fountain? I heard that it denatures very quickly and you need to take it right after you mix it with water. What do you think??

Update: Someone just suggested This - http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/nutri.html

Yes i will do that with the posting my information (diet,lifts)

The First Week i will post my lifts for the 3 days, and i will post what i ate.

After That im not sure, should i keep posting the info for every day? Or just every few weeks?

Do any of you guys have AIM (aol Instant Messenger)? [My sn is Refrusloi]

Last edited:

Cloud-uk

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Nice workout, though you gotta post up what you gonna eat! Little tip- I ound out that just cramming food isn't sustainable this week. my weight has actually gone DOWN! I'm a little bit heavier than you, but I've done a hell of a lot of reearch at my college library this week and I've come up with a pretty nice, SUSTAINABLE meal plan to follow everyday.

You'll have to chop and change bits of it I don't doubt to fit in with your schedule and food preferences, but you may aswell save yourself the trouble and use mine as a base. Check it out on my bulking thread.

Good idea about the pics though, you'll feel great when you see how far you've come!

Lost

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
i think ill do this monday

6:10 am (wake up 6 am go downstairs and make the shake) - 1 scoop Optimum Nutrition Chocolate Whey Protein Shake in Water

7:30 - Oatmeal and Scrambled Eggs and an Orange?

9:50 - cut up pieces of chicken breast/tuna in whole wheat bread or 9boiled eggs w/ 9 white and 1 yellow

10:50 - cut up pieces of chicken breast/tuna in whole wheat bread or 9boiled eggs w/ 9 white and 1 yellow

12 - Natural Peanut Butter in Whole Wheat Bread Sandwhich

12:50 - Workout

2:00 (or directly after whenever workout is finished) - 1 Scoop Optimum Nutrition Chocolate Whey Protein Shake in Water. Banana (not in the shake).

3:00 - Meal my mom cooks[make sure there are some vegetables here]?

5:30 - Oatmeal?

8:00 - Cottage Cheese and Almonds?

10:00 - Cottage Cheese. 1 Cup Milk.

Cloud-uk

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Mate, that sounds violent. Are you sure you can physically eat that much, let alone maintain that kind of diet?! You weigh less than me, but what you are suggesting sounds like it would make me throw up!

9 boiled eggs? In one sitting? Damn!

If you think you can manage it, great! But can I suggest:

1) Sleep! You need to be in bed by 9 if you are going to rise at 6. Also all that food before you go to sleep will screw up you sleep no end.

Breakfast: The oatmeal, scrabled eggs and fruit will suffice

Break: Chicken or tuna sandwitch sounds great, eggs sound scary

10:50: if you can manage another sandwich go for it!

12: Ok, here is where i draw the line, at your bodyweight i cannot see how you can eat yet another sandwitch and still enjoy a full meal. Re concider this, actually reconcider the 10:50 one too.

Anothing thing, don't touch food an hour before your workout, with the possible exception of a protien shake.

3: Take the protien shake with the meal, and have the banana with some cream or icecream as desert by the way is this lunch or dinner or what? 3:00 sounds like lunch to me.

After 3: Where did dinner go?!?! You can have a rest and a chill after lunch, but at about 6/7 you want to be having another big ish meal, say pasta or something. Have you snack of cottage cheese at 8 and then wind down so that you can sleep.

Remember, this isn't supposed to be horrificly unpleasant. In bulking up, half to game is getting a diet you can adhere to EVERYDAY. What do you think?

Lost

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
we'll see. ill go less portions at first.

ie.... half sandwhich instead of full. maybe 5 or 6 eggs instead of 8 or 10.

i could just never gain weight before. in fact im not even sure if i will with what i have shown below :p...er...above.

Why no eating an hour before workout? I heard you just gotta wait 1-2 hours before workout. But i thought that 10:50 would be too early for a post workout... so i figured id just eat 1 pb sandwhich at 12.. and start liftin by 12:50. i dont think that sandwhch will make me throw up.

Eggs seem a lot easier to down than tuna. And 9 eggs, i dont know why ppl think thats a lot. eggs are really small.

but i may have to change something in that diet to make it a lil more pleasing lol (like not cottage cheese for 2 meals or somethin.)

Lost

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Ill move biceps and triceps to monday and back to friday if my lifts dont go up.

Here are Common Foods i will be eating.
Some of them i will eat daily, some of them anywhere from once a week to once every 8 weeks.

I looked up the info for the ones i had in my house, and on fitday.com for the ones i didnt ... but a few i was either unsure about or couldnt find anything about, so i will post those first in the list:

1. Sweet Potatoes= ?

2. BBQ Ribs= ?

3. Spaghetti= ?

4. Steak= ?

5. Almonds(not sure if this is correct.. seems a little ****in high)= 855 calories, 36g protein, 40g carbs, 72g fat[7saturated], serving size 1cup(144g)?

6. Oranges= 81 calories, 2g protein, 21g protein, 0g fat, 14g sugar, serving size 165g(1 large orange)

7. Bananas=105 calories, 1g protein, 27g carbs, 0g fat, 14g sugar, serving size 7"-7&7/8" (118g)

8. Optimum Nutrition Double Rich Chocolate 10Lb black bag. 100percent Whey Protein= 110 calories, 23g protein, 3g carbs, 1.5g fat[0.5saturated], 1g sugar , serving size 1 scoop (29.4g), serving per container 155

9. Quaker Oats 100percent Whole Grain. 100percent Natural Oatmeal= 150 calories, 5g protein, 27g Carbs, 2.5g fat[0.5g saturated], 1g sugar, serving size 1/2 cup(40g), Servings per container 102

10. Egg White= 16.43 calories, 3.46g protein, 0.339g carbs, 0g fat, sugar?, serving size 1 white

11. Egg Yolk= 60.62 calories, 2.84g protein, 0.301g carbs, 5.23g fat[1.62g saturated], sugar?, serving size 1 yolk

12. Easy Mac= 240 calories, 7g protein, 40g carbs, 6g fat[2.5g saturated], 8g sugar, serving size 1 pouch(61g), servings per container 18

13. Smuckers Natural Peanut Butter. Creamy.= 210 calories, 8g protein, 6g carbs, 16g fat[2.5g saturated], 1g sugar, serving size 2Tbsp(32g), servings per container 14

14. Kroger Fat Free Cottage Cheese= 70 calories, 13g protein, 5g carbs, 0g fat, 3g sugar, serving size 1/2 cup(113g), servings per container 6

15. Kroger LowFat Cottage Cheese= 90 calories, 12g protein, 5g carbs, 2gfat[1g saturated], 3g sugar, serving size 1/2 cup(113g), servings per container 4

16. Del Monte Raisins= 130 calories, 1g protein, 31g carbs, 0g fat,29g sugar, serving size 1 box[theyre small]

17. Nature Valley 100percent Natural Crunchy Granola Bars= 180 calories, 4g protein, 29g carbs, 6g fat[0.5g saturated], 11g sugar, serving size 2 bars, servings per container 35

18. Splenda= 0 calories, 0g protein, less than 1g carbs, 0g fat, less than 1g sugar, serving size 1 packet

19. StarKist Chunk Light Tuna in Water= 70 calories, 15g protein, 0g carbs, 1g fat[0g saturated], 0g sugar, serving size 2oz drained(56g-about 1/4 cup), servings per container 2.5

20. StarKist Chunk Light Tuna in Water= 60 calories, 13g protein, 0g carbs, 0.5g fat[0g saturated], 0g sugar, serving size 2oz drained(56g- about 1/4cup), servings per container 2.5

21. Bumble Bee Solid White Albacore in Water. Premium Tuna= 70 calories, 15g protein, 0g carbs, 1g fat[0g saturated], 0g sugar, serving size 2oz drained(56g-about 1/4 cup), servings per container 2.5

22. Lindsay Large Pitted Olives= 25 calries, 0g protein, 1g carbs, 2.5g fat[0g saturated], sugar?, serving size 4 olives, servings per container 11

23. Natures Own 100percent Whole Wheat Bread= 50 calories, 4g protein, 10g carbs, 1g fat[0g saturated], 1g sugar, serving size 1 slice(26g), servings per container 22

24. Tyson. Even Cook. Boneless. Skinless. Chicken breast fillets= 190 calories, 32g protein, 0g carbs, 6g fat[1.5g saturated], 0g sugar, serving size 1 piece(182g), servings per container 10

25. Nonfat Milk= 90 calories, 8g protein, 12g carbs, 0g fat, 11g sugar, serving size 1 cup(240mL)[this means the actual serving size 1 cup, not one glass, right?)

26. Mints = I dont know because i dont have them yet. I just know i will take them after eating tuna, not a problem correct? Wont Ruin the Protein?

27. Kraft Honey Hickory Smoke Barbeque Sauce= 60 calories, 0g protein, 14g carbs, 0g fat, sugar?[not listed], serving size 2Tbsp(36g), servings per container 14

28. Tony Roma's Carolina Honeys BBQ Sauce= 60 calories, 0g protein, 15g carbs, 0g fat, 14g sugar, serving size 2Tbsp(37g), servings per container 14

29. Atlantic Salmon Fillet[canned, like the tuna's]= 100 calories, 12g protein, 0g carbs, 15g fat[0g saturated], 0g sugar, Serving Size 2oz(58g), servings per container 2 per can

30. Baked Beans= Dont know because i dont have them yet.

31. Fool Beans= 130 calories, 10g protein, 21g carbs, 0.5g fat[0g saturated], 2g sugar, serving size 1/2 cup(125g), servings per container 2

32. Cooked Broccoli= 39.4 calories, 4.17g protein, 7.08g carbs, 0.49g fat[0.075g saturated], sugar?, serving size 1 small stalk(5" long)

33. Spaghetti= ?

34. Green Beans= ?

35. Tomato Soup= 90 calories, 2g protein, 20g carbs, 0g fat, 12g sugar, serving size 1/2cup(120mL), servings per container 2.5

36. Apple= 125.08 calories, 0.403g protein, 32.33g carbs, 0.763g fat, sugar?, serving size 1 large(3"-3&1/4")

37. Clementine= serving size 1 clementine. calories 69. fat 0.5g[0g saturated]. 15g carb. 1g protein. 12g sugar

38. Cooked Wheat= serving size 1 cup. 407 calories. 2.2g fat[0.2 saturated]. 87g carb. 16.4g protein

39. Chicken Thighs= serving size 1 thigh. calories 153. fat 10g[2.8g saturated]. 0g carbs. 15.8g protein.

40. Brown Rice= ?

41. Lima Beans= serving size 1 cup. calories 216. fat 0.7g. carbs 39.3. protein 15g

Last edited:

aolsuxs

Don Juan
Reaction score
With your shake in the morning try milk instead of water, not only will it taste better it has a lot more calories then water (0)

Lost

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Monday January 17th Workout [Chest/Back Day]

ok, first time bodybuilding in 6 months. first time lifting in.. prolly 2. Man i lost a lot of strength :p. Back was the most brutal, sheesh.

I noticed wearing 2 shirts is too hot... well during the back exercises atleast :p.
Also there is a water fountain so i dont have to worry about drinkin too much of the water i need for my whey protein shake. There is also a clock so i dont need to bring my watch prolly.

The workout took about 70 minutes. I usually did a set with no weight, to test out the form. Then a set with light weight as warmup, then 2 real sets.

The weights are just the poundages.. the plates i put on the bars.. they do not include the weight of the bar. Btw, they had like plastic plates instead of the metal ones im used to, this is not a problem correct?

I printed out The pictures and notes from exrx.net about each exercise.. cuz i was worried about my form, ive always been. ne ways i will have questions after many of the exercises, so here is how it went:

CHEST

Barbell Bench Press: 0x2, 5x4, 15x10, 20,10 (a lil bit sore)

Low Incline DumbBell Bench Press: 5x4, 15,10(easy), 25,10 [NOTE: Weird feeling on the right shoulder on its left side.. I used a 5 on the incline...ie how high up it is]

Chest Dips: 0x5, 0x5 [NOTE: I didnt feel LOWER CHESt.. felt more tight in triceps. Im not sure how to do this correctly... didnt seem like i could really do much bending over.]

BACK

Deadlift: 0x4, 5x4, 20x8, 20x7 [NOTE: I am unsure about form on this. Should both hands face the same direction? How far out should bar be? One of the sets seemed like it was hittin my knee... maybe i just needed to move my legs back. ALSO, it seemed like it worked out the back of my legs a lot... which worries me sincei workout legs on wednesday and it seems like i would overtrain it.]

Chinups(wide): 0x3, 0x3 [NOTE: WTF, i SUCK at these? Should i get assisted by someone??]

BarBell Rows: 5x7, 20x8, 20x7 [NOTE: It didnt seem like i could pull the bar up at that much of an angle.... it seems more like it just kinda goes straight up, whilst bent over a bit]

BarBell Shrugs: 10x7, 30x10 (somewhat hard)

Lost

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Monday January 17th Diet

Weight: 120

Weighed myself at 12:50 noon, and i was 119.
Weighed Self at 6:00pm, and i was 120.

Sleep the night before was bad. I fell asleep way after midnight. I just couldnt fall asleep. Woke up at 6am. Need to sleep w/warm clothes or warm clothes near so that i can get downstairs fast. Its very cold(tshirt+jacket isnt enough). Need to drink whey faster.

Should i write the time when i make the food, when i start eating it, or when i finish. Should i eat every 2 hours from when i finish a meal to when i start? or from when i start to when i start?

Nutritional facts(ie calories,protein) not 100 percent correct, but pretty accurate.

I dont know the nutritional facts for CLEMENTINE, COOKED WHEAT, LIMA BEANS, and CHICKEN THIGHS. If someone can tell me those i can calculate all the calories,carbs,protein,sugar, and fat for the day. Someone please help me out here.

Meal 1: 6:10am- 1 scoop Optimum Nutrition Whey Protein Shake in Water Taken
Total: Calories- 110 calories, Protein- 23g , Carbs- 3g , Fat- 1.5g

Meal 2: 6:45am- Oatmeal(1/2cup), made with milk(1cup). 6 Boiled egg whites and 1 yolk. 1 packet Splenda. 1 small banana(5inch). 1 clementine
Total: Calories- 573.2, Protein- 30.6g, Carbs- 71.334, Fat- 7.735g

Meal 3: 11:58am- Granolas(a packet of 2). Canned Salmon fillet. Box of Raisins. 2 Slices of Whole Wheat Bread. 2 Tbsp Natural Peanut Butter. 1 scoop Optimum Nutrition Whey Protein Shake in water.
Total: Calories- 930, Protein- 60g, Carbs- 89g, Fat- 55.5g

1:25pm - Pooped
2:00-3:07pm - Workout

Meal 4: 3:10pm - 1scoop Optimum Nutrition Whey Protein Shake in water. 1 small banana(5inch).
Total: Calories- 210, Protein- 24g, Carbs- 30g, Fat- 1.5g

Meal 5: 4:15pm - 1cup Lima Beans. 1 cup cooked wheat. 2 Chicken Thighs.
Total: Calories- 929, Protein- 63g, Carbs- 126.3, Fat- 22.9g

Meal 6: 6:15pm - Oatmeal(1/2 cup). Milk(1/2 cup). 2 packets splenda. Cottage Cheese(1cup)
Total: Calories- 375, Protein- 33g, Carbs- 43g, Fat- 6.5g

7:20pm - Hot Shower

Meal 7: 9:00pm - Cottage Cheese(1/2 cup)
Total: Calories- 90, Protein- 12g, Carbs- 5g, Fat- 2g

9:30pm - Go to bed.

DAILY TOTAL: 3217.2, Protein- 245.6, Carbs- 241.334, Fat- 98.035g

DAMN, recording that wasnt bad, but looking up the calories and **** for all of it ****ing sucked.

Last edited:

Lost

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Anways, can yall please reply to the stuff i put in bold on my workout reply?

my biceps felt sore today.. but they werent supposed to be worked. just chest and back. should i remove the chinups and do a lat specific exercisE?

also my legs still feel sore from the DEADLIFTS... and i hvae to do LEGS DAY TOMORROW. is this gonna be a problem?

what about the rest of my questions?

Last edited:

Centaurion

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I wouldn't put pullups/chins before DL, thats because the pullups/chins are a sort of warmup for the DL, which is a core exercise that puts alot of stress on your body. I would rather have a good warmup and be safe, then to try to hit max weight. If you are afraid of losing form, just got down on the weight.

Centaurion

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
And yes, your legs will be sore after DL since you practically use your entire body when doing them, and becasue this is your first workout in a while.

About the grip, I usually grip the bar a fist wide of of my knees when they are shoulder apart. And I use a reverse grip (i think its called, one palm out, one palm in). And yeah, its normal to bruise your shins and knees when doing DL, since it takes a while to get the form correct.

MrFitness880

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
The grip youre referring to is called a mixed grip.

my legs are never sore after DL, but i do them with a form pretty close to a SLDL. Thats just personal preference.

i assume you mean ham/glute area as sore not your quads.

yes, you may bruise your knees and shins a bit. but you want the bar as close to your body as possible, really dragging up your body. it shouldnt be out away from your body and bouncing off your body as you come in.

also i dont get your system for your workouts

what does 0x4 mean? conventionally that means you used no weight at all (not even a bar, NOTHING) for four reps, then 5x4 was exactly 5lbs for four reps. did i miss something?

Lost

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
i said i just count the weight put on the bar, i dont cought the bar. so i put 0 weight on the bar. i just lifted the bar for that first one.

Lost

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Tuesday January 18th Diet

I weighed myself at 6am i was 118.5
Weighed self around 3 and i was 118.5
Weighed self at 5:50 and i was 121

Woke up at 3am cuz i had to pee, wtf?

I already pooped twice today, once at 1pm, once at 3... looks like ill be doing it again. I dont think this is good for bulking. Isnt it wasting all my meals?????

6:10- ON Whey Shake in water
Total: Calories- 100, Protein- 23, Carbs- 3, Fat- 1.5

7:10- 6egg white, 1 yolk. 1 cup oatmeal. 1 cup milk. Orange.
Total: Calories- 630.2, Protein- 41, Carbs- 89.2, Fat- 7.73

10:20- 8 egg whites. 1/2 yolk. Pack of granolas.
Total: Calories- 342, Protein- 29.5, Carbs- 31.5, Fat- 8.5

11:30- 2 slice wholewheat bread. Chicken Breast.
Total: Calories- 290, Protein- 40, Carbs- 20, Fat- 8

1:40- 2 packs EasyMac. 1 and 1/4 cup Milk. 1 can StarKist ChunkLight Tuna
Total: Calories- 742.5, Protein- 56.5, Carbs- 95, Fat- 13.25

4:30- Banana. 4 slice whole wheat bread. 4Tbsp PeanutButter. 1/2 cup cooked wheat.
Total: Calories- 928, Protein- 41.2, Carbs- 122.5, Fat- 37.1

6:45- 1 and 1/2 cup brown rice. 2cup Chili.
Total: Calories- 1722, Protein- 56.4, Carbs- 295.8, Fat- 35.4 (that meal was really painful to eat. my stomach was still bloated hours afterwards.

DAILY TOTAL: Calories- 4754.7, Protein- 287.6, Carbs- 657, Fat- 111.48