Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

My workout journal.

gtownjuan

Don Juan
Reaction score
Background

I've been reading the board for almost 2 years. Changed alot since the beginning but still need more work to be done.

Here's my current routine:

I usually do 3 sets of one exercise @ 4 - 8 reps
I try to do the heavyest i can with the most reps.

Day 1 - Tricepts & Back & Callves

Tris:
variation dips (2 sets)
Pressdwns (3 sets)
close grip bech (2 sets)

Back:
seated rows (2 sets)
pull ups (2 sets)
pulldowns w/ variations of close, wide n medium grip pulling weights down in front of chest and down behind the neck. (6 sets)

Calves
seated raises (4 sets)

Day 2 - Shoulders & arms & calves

Delts
behind the nect press (3 sets)
military press (3 sets)

Traps
shrugs (4 sets)

Bicepts:
dumbell curls (2 sets)
concentrate curls (2 sets)

Calves:
seated raises (4 sets)

Day 3 - Chest & legs

chest:
bench press (2 sets)
pullovers (2 sets)
flyes (2 sets)
chect machine (3 sets) dont really know its name but its where you do like a fly but youre seated n on a mchine.

Legs:
half squat (3 sets)
stiff leg deads (3 sets)
leg press (3 sets)

Been wondering about forarms n abs.
Planning on adding a seperate day for them.

Quagmire911

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I am sorry to say, but I don't know who's posts you were reading on the board.

A couple of unnecessary exercises in there and the routine doesn't look very structured on the whole. And half squats??? Come on...

What are your current stats? What do you lift on the big three? What has your progress been in the last 12 months?

I think it would do you well to try out one of the routines in here:

http://www.sosuave.net/forum/showthread.php?t=125444

Good luck,

Quagmire

I-tallionStallion

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
What's your diet? A good routine is nothing without a really good diet. Losing weight? Gaining weight?

Why are you using chest machines?

For forearms - Deadlifts should be enough - go to Quagmire's link and start that workout instead

For Abs - Do weighted situps - and i'm not talking 5 lbs - make'em heavy for 2 sets of 10

And let me reiterate - HALF SQUATS!?

cuzza

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Good luck mate!

I've gotta say, there's far too much dogma on this site. Weight training isn't an exact science, there's many ways of progressing, and what works best for one doesn't for others. Plus there's different goals, etc.

Quagmire911

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
cuzza said:
Good luck mate!

I've gotta say, there's far too much dogma on this site. Weight training isn't an exact science, there's many ways of progressing, and what works best for one doesn't for others. Plus there's different goals, etc.
Correct, its just that beginners have no idea how to properly progress and that is why there is a "Where to Start" thread. Covers the vast majority of people and gets them started. Everyone should be doing something similar to that in the beginning. Main emphasis on compounds done in a low rep range.

gtownjuan

Don Juan
Reaction score
let's clear things up.

I'm not exactly a beginner, I've trained for like 3 months. I was trying to follow the DIESEL post on BULKING UP.

Quagmire911
I trying to gain mass cause i weigh like 120lbs now. I can do deads-70lbs*8,
half squat100lbs*8 n leg press-170lbs*8

I usually progress like by 5lbs+ on average in a week per exercise in routine.
Every week i usually change the order for variation.

I eat 4 times a day.
breakfast - high carb, low protein
lunch - medium carb n medium protein
pre dinner - medium protein
dinner - high protein, little to no carb

Could you specify the exercises which are unnecessary. I wanna restructure my routine for max mass gains. Any other help will be appreciated.

Quagmire911

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You have been training for 3 months and weigh a buck twenty, you...are...a...beginner.

Your weights are still really low, 70lbsx8 on deads...half squat 100lbsx8? Come on...I am not putting you down in any way, you just need to realize that you still have a long way to go.

You need to do completely scrap the routine you had, and go with the "Where to Start" thread.

Whilst doing that eat like this:

http://www.sosuave.net/forum/showthread.php?t=134782

Shakes are two scoops of whey+3raw eggs+a little water, for the moment.

Please listen for your own good, I am giving you the advice that you need to take. Doing the above workout and eating the way outlined in the thread above will give you very good gains in strength and mass, as long as you stick with it. Also as long as you don't have physical problems and really crap genetics.

DO NOT question the routine, just do it. Give it 12 weeks. Check out ItallionStallion's log, JohhnyIrish's log, and my own. See the results for yourself.

I have done all I can.

Quagmire

gtownjuan

Don Juan
Reaction score
Well im going n train in about 10 mins. Tnx for the help in gonna go try one of the routines in the "where to start" post. + I'm uping my diet, its just that i can really measure the food in grams n stuff. Most of my food is home cooked from the local market n they dont have have labels. So how do u measure that stuff?

Quagmire911

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
gtownjuan said:
Well im going n train in about 10 mins. Tnx for the help in gonna go try one of the routines in the "where to start" post. + I'm uping my diet, its just that i can really measure the food in grams n stuff. Most of my food is home cooked from the local market n they dont have have labels. So how do u measure that stuff?
Good man, stick with it for 12 weeks and log it on here so we can help you out.

As for the food, you need to try and get in 200-250g of protein a day which shouldn't be too hard. Roughly 40g of protein a meal. The egg shakes above will be about 40-50g of protein.

For the other meals just eat a large serving of beef and then fill up on green veggies. Beef can be anything, meatballs, chilli, bolanaise etc. One of the other meals you could have chicken/turkey whatever just for some change.

I don't think at your weight it is especially important to measure stuff out. Take your exact weight tomorrow morning after you have been to the toilet and before you eat breakfast. Then measure it again in two weeks and see where you are at.

It would be good if you could log your diet for a few days as well, so we can get an idea of what you are eating and make some suggestions.

After 12 weeks you will hopefully be over the 130 mark :) What height are you btw?

And squats are done ass to grass, ALL the way down. NO half squats.

Quagmire

Quiksilver

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
cuzza said:
I'll agree that there is a lot of dogma on this board, but it isn't unjustified at all. Those workout plans and good solid high protein/high fat/low-moderate carb diets is a great first step for any aspiring lifter.

When you think of what is preached around here--deep squats, deadlifts, incline bench--compare that to what most kids would end up doing in the gym without any guidance... They'd be into the pec-deck, preacher curls, bench press, and dumbbell kickbacks all day. If they'd ever make it over to doing squats, it'd be in the smith machine and stopping several inches above parallel.

Sure it's impossible to cookie-cutter every guy into the same mould and expect great results, but to find what workout method works best for you you have to try different workouts, and I really believe the best first step is a program like the ones in the link.

Heck the only reason that workout might not be enough is because some guys might have specific weak bodyparts that need to be addressed. But the truth is you won't really know your true weak points until you've been lifting for a few years steady. Finding your inherent weaknesses in the first two years is silly because really... Your whole body is weak.

Quagmire911

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Quiksilver said:
I'll agree that there is a lot of dogma on this board, but it isn't unjustified at all. Those workout plans and good solid high protein/high fat/low-moderate carb diets is a great first step for any aspiring lifter.

When you think of what is preached around here--deep squats, deadlifts, incline bench--compare that to what most kids would end up doing in the gym without any guidance... They'd be into the pec-deck, preacher curls, bench press, and dumbbell kickbacks all day. If they'd ever make it over to doing squats, it'd be in the smith machine and stopping several inches above parallel.

Sure it's impossible to cookie-cutter every guy into the same mould and expect great results, but to find what workout method works best for you you have to try different workouts, and I really believe the best first step is a program like the ones in the link.

Heck the only reason that workout might not be enough is because some guys might have specific weak bodyparts that need to be addressed. But the truth is you won't really know your true weak points until you've been lifting for a few years steady. Finding your inherent weaknesses in the first two years is silly because really... Your whole body is weak.
:whistle:

gtownjuan

Don Juan
Reaction score
Routine
Week 1:

Monday - Workout A
Wednesday -Workout B
Friday - Workout A

Week 2:

Monday - Workout B
Wednesday - Workout A
Friday - Workout B

Workout A
3x5 Squat
3x5 Bench Press
1x5 Deadlift
**2x8 Dips (if you cant do these or no assist machine then do Decline Dumbbell Bench Press with your hands Facing each other)

Workout B
3x5 Squat
3x5 Standing military press
3x5 power cleans
**2x8 Chin-ups

Diet
7.00 Meal 1 – Shake (2 scoop whey) +Raw Eggs (2) + essence + oatmeal + fruit
8.30 Meal 2- Beef/veggies
9.45 Meal 3- Shake (2 scoop whey)+ Raw Eggs (2) + essence
11.00 Meal 4- Beef/Veggies
4.45 Meal 5- Shake (2 scoop whey)+ Raw Eggs (2) +essence
5.45 Meal 6- Pre workout
7.15 Meal 7- Post workout Shake (2 scoop whey) + Raw eggs (2) essence
8.30 Meal 8- Chicken / Tuna/ Fish Oil

gtownjuan

Don Juan
Reaction score
results

this first week is all about doing all the exercise in perfect form so i dropped all the weights to a minimum

NOTE i don't include the bar weight in these specs

day one
workout a
squats (i do them on the hawk squat machine)
30 @ 7 (forgot to stop at 5), 30 @ 5, 30 @ 5

flat Bench press
50 @ 5, 50 @ 5, 50 @ 5

almost forgot decline dumbell press
15 @ 5, 15 @ 5, 15 @ 5

deadlifts (just took the bar from the bench press)
50 @ 5, 50 @ 5, 50 @ 5

decline dumbell press
10 @ 5, 10 @ 5, 10 @ 5

day two
workout b
squats
30 @ 5, 30 @ 5, 30 @ 5

standing military press
40 @ 5, 40 @ 5, 40 @ 5

bent rows (confussed so did it like a militart press but starting with weight below the chest and raise to arms length above then dropped to chest and begun again)
40 @ 5, 40 @ 5, 40 @ 5

chin ups
bw@ 8, bw @ 8

crunches
bw @ 26, bw @ 24

day three
workout a
squats
40 @ 5, 40 @ 5, 40 @ 5

flat bench press (used a longer barbell)
40 @ 5, 40 @ 5, 40 @ 5

deadlifts (used to same long bar)
50 @ 5, 50 @ 5, 50 @ 5

gtownjuan

Don Juan
Reaction score
Today i confirmed my weight, :( 120lbs. My height is 5ft 8. I really wanna bulk up. Is my diet allowing max bulk????

Quagmire911

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
For squats use free weights if you can. No hack squat machine.

Also, include the bar weight in all of your working weights.

And the diet is fine, just stick to it 90%+ and aim too gain one pound a week and you will be doing fine. Most likely you will gain an extra 2-5 pounds in the first week or so though because of all the extra food.

Good job on starting out, keep it up.

Quagmire

J89

Don Juan
Reaction score
gtownjuan said:
Today i confirmed my weight, :( 120lbs. My height is 5ft 8. I really wanna bulk up. Is my diet allowing max bulk????

Bro just follow a routine consisting of compound movements, e.g. bench press, squats, deadifts, military/shoulder press etc

Work your large muscle groups chest/back/legs once a week.

For each meal try and get around 30-40grams of protein and at least 300 cals.

Give this a read:
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=3720211

Quagmire911

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
J89 said:
Bro just follow a routine consisting of compound movements, e.g. bench press, squats, deadifts, military/shoulder press etc

Work your large muscle groups chest/back/legs once a week.

For each meal try and get around 30-40grams of protein and at least 300 cals.

Give this a read:
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=3720211
He's been hooked up already :)

I-tallionStallion

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
How old are you btw?

At 120, you have a lot of growing to do, but if you do it right, you'll be amazing looking when you get bigger. I'm currently training my younger 15 year old brother. He started at 113, now is at 121 in two months. You need to follow what Quagmire suggests, its what my brothers doing as well. Stick with it, and if you gain 3-4 lbs a month in muscle, you can be 160 lbs by the end of the year. But dammit you have to eat, eat, EAT!!!

gtownjuan

Don Juan
Reaction score
<<<<17

I'm working on the eating thing. I never really ate much in my younger days so its hard to incorperate this stuff.

Oh and i also take a multivitamin, a super b complex dietary supplement and a flax seed oil 1g capsule(need to up to 3 a day).

gtownjuan

Don Juan
Reaction score
Monday - Day one - Workout B

Hack Squats (not strong enough in weights & technique to do barbell squats..well for now anyway.)
40 @ 5, 40 @ 5, 40 @ 5 + bar (dont know how much it weighs)

Standing Military Press
40 @ 5 40 @ 5, 40 @ 5 + Bar (longer barbell)

Power Cleans (i like these more than the bent rows)
20 @ 5, 20 @ 5, 20 @ 5 + Bar (medium sized barbell)

Chine ups
bw @ 8, bw @ 7, half way for 8 dammm