Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

You Think You Have Had It Tough?

DJDamage

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051210/ap_on_re_us/trying_times

ALBANY, N.Y. - Terrorist attacks, a war in Iraq and natural disasters aren't so bad compared to other tough times in America's past, from the Revolutionary War to the Cold War, history professors say.

Asked to compare eight difficult periods of the nation's history, 46 percent of the 354 professors who responded to a nationwide survey agreed the current era was the least trying. The Civil War, 55 percent said, was the toughest.

Researchers at the Siena Research Institute of Siena College came up with the survey after hearing students comment they felt today's era was one of the most trying in America's history.

"It's an issue of perspective," said Thomas Kelly, a professor emeritus of history and American studies at Siena who helped conduct the survey, which was released Thursday.

"With very few exceptions most generations have confronted enormous kinds of problems and have to greater or lesser degrees coped," he said.

Next to the Civil War — which threatened the nation's very existence and cost the lives of more than 600,000 people — the poll found the Revolutionary War and the Great Depression to be the most trying, followed by Vietnam and the Cultural Revolution, World War II, the Cold War, World War I and today.

Kristina Hicks, 20, a Siena junior, said that while it's true most of today's Americans have not had to sacrifice like previous generations did, she disagrees with the poll's findings.

"I definitely think today is one of most trying times," she said. "When I read about things like 9/11 and the war in Iraq in textbooks, it doesn't actually portray the whole picture of what happened."

Dan Reisner, a 21-year-old Siena senior, ranks the current era in the middle, saying the destruction of the World Trade Center changed his world view.

"I never thought we were under threat until I saw 9/11," he said. "It was very shocking. Times are definitely more dangerous now. Terrorism is constantly getting worse."

Kelly said the shock of the 2001 terrorist attacks was felt especially hard by today's college students, who were in their early or middle teenage years at the time.

"For young people, life is very visual," Kelly said. "There are few things as visual as the twin towers falling."

The survey was mailed to each of the roughly 2,500 American colleges and universities with a history department, Kelly said.

Young People :confused: They don't know how lucky they have it living in this time in their country (U.S.A) more then any other time in history.

DjDamage

Julian

Banned
Reaction score
no ****. that dumb b1tch is like "oh boo hoo they dont show the whoel picture" when in the 30's muther fvckers were scroungin for crumbs of bread in the streets livin in shanty towns.

wavejams007

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by DJDamage
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051210/ap_on_re_us/trying_times

Young People :confused: They don't know how lucky they have it living in this time in their country (U.S.A) more then any other time in history.

DjDamage
The war on Terror is a new kind of war, so it is hard to judge us just yet, and the best people to judge us are the next generations, but more then likely the best t ojudge will come a couple hundred years into the future.

seanchai

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yeah, the Civil War was a little more trying, I'd say. But at least the Confederacy didn't hate our way of life - we hated theirs. :p

Scrumtulescence

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Who in the hell thinks we have it tougher than the Depression-era or Civil War-era people. War on terror? Oh dear, run for the hills! :rolleyes:

DJDamage

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
How sad is that the majority of the people who said we are living in the toughest era probably witnessed 9/11 from watching it on T.V from the coziness of their own home. Same thing with Katrina and the war on Iraq. You watch the stuff on T.V when you are not even there and it doesn't directly affect you and yet you claim this is the toughest era?? Change the channel sweetie and watch your beloved Paris Hilton, you are living in a bubble.

DjDamage

Last edited:

diplomatic_lies

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Pfft, this is the cushiest period we've ever lived in (at least in the western world).

Let's see...

Medieval times - War, genocide, religous cleansing, crusades, no laws
Renaissance - War, plague, famine
Early 20th century - Carpet bombings, war, famine, genocide

Today - War 10,000 miles away, lawful society (no revolutions or civil wars), stable economy (no famine or plagues), peace.

Yep, we're living in tough times. On no, I just broke a nail!

al77

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

They don't. Why? They listen too much to what they say on TV. Because there somebody is saying The War on Terrorism is a very hard, tough and important. Sure kids would believe without much thinking.

And at the same the very same people are constantly ignite the war and saying that the threat can be prevented by putting paper over your windows (recommendation on TV againt a bio attack)

Sure kids got only the first part, where the war is a "tough thing" and very important. They sure failed to notice the second part, about the reasons behind the war and the means to prevent it.

I guess people should have the right to vote after at least 25 in US, otherwise we'll end up in paper houses.

wavejams007

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
How sad is that the majority of the people who said we are living in the toughest era probably witnessed 9/11 from watching it on T.V from the coziness of their own home. Same thing with Katrina and the war on Iraq. You watch the stuff on T.V when you are not even there and it doesn't directly affect you and yet you claim this is the toughest era?? Change the channel sweetie and watch your beloved Paris Hilton, you are living in a bubble.

DjDamage
Dude, you don't now Sh*t about me. I don't live in a bubble. I have a house in Florida that was damaged by hurricanes, and my hometown was hurt badly ,Melbourne beach. I live in Ecuador, where last year we went through a civil revolution, and are constantly under the tension of another revolution, as well as a possible war farther South. I constantly have to watch out for gangs, muggers, and hijackers down here. I can almost garantee I live in more danger then you do. So please get off your comfy couches or desk chairs, get off this site sometimes, and take a look around.Wihle we may not feel the effects of terrorism directly, that may not last forever. One of my friends and a substitute teacher lost a brother and a father in 9/11, so to say that I just see it on TV is BS. Why don't you ask the families of the servicemen over in Afganistan and Iraq how cozy their servicemen family are? Or ask some of our ally troops?

Boner da Stoner

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Olly Crap

The worst that happens to me is having to beat the crapout of women beaters and child molestors. Than there's depression, which leads me to walking into the next room and seeing blood splattered all over the wall na da shotty to where my friends jaw used to be.

Today it's only mental stress people go through, very very subtle mental stress, people go through nervous breakdowns and crisis, because there is nothing better to go through :p

wavejams007

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Boner da Stoner
Olly Crap

The worst that happens to me is having to beat the crapout of women beaters and child molestors. Than there's depression, which leads me to walking into the next room and seeing blood splattered all over the wall na da shotty to where my friends jaw used to be.

Today it's only mental stress people go through, very very subtle mental stress, people go through nervous breakdowns and crisis, because there is nothing better to go through :p
R U a police officer?

Julian

Banned
Reaction score
wavejams chill the **** out you turd.

Jay-X

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by wavejams007
Dude, you don't now Sh*t about me. I don't live in a bubble. I have a house in Florida that was damaged by hurricanes, and my hometown was hurt badly ,Melbourne beach. I live in Ecuador, where last year we went through a civil revolution, and are constantly under the tension of another revolution, as well as a possible war farther South. I constantly have to watch out for gangs, muggers, and hijackers down here. I can almost garantee I live in more danger then you do. So please get off your comfy couches or desk chairs, get off this site sometimes, and take a look around.Wihle we may not feel the effects of terrorism directly, that may not last forever. One of my friends and a substitute teacher lost a brother and a father in 9/11, so to say that I just see it on TV is BS. Why don't you ask the families of the servicemen over in Afganistan and Iraq how cozy their servicemen family are? Or ask some of our ally troops?

your post doesn't make sense, since the article was about USA... the only 2 things related to the article that happened to you are the damaging of 2 houses of yours. ok, you have been unlucky. but what if you had been unlucky during the civil war? do you think people who lost a house during the war were unlucky? no, the unlucky people lost all of their family when they were 9-yrs-old

i'm not saying you are lucky, i'm just saying that the stuff you posted does not relate to the thread

Boner da Stoner

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by wavejams007
R U a police officer?
Nope, nothing to do with being a police officer, being a police officer all you've got to farkin worry about are the things that people bring to the surface. Not the guys who drive cabs and wait for the drunk slvts to get out of the bar, the guys who save the 5 dollar charge for a 15 yo to give him head, than a month later a family member hears a story about one of these guys and does in the wrong mofo, the guy who spends his spare time doing public readings at the library as a service to the community. A PO can't even comprehend that as a subject he has to pay attention to, because there is no evidence unless the kid is tapped, and the guy who's wearing the belaclav and run of the mill jacket won't get caught for messing the guys face up either if it's snowing outside. Cops have it easy, tahts why they can get away with extortion and are allowed to turn their heads.

LOL 24% of kids I grow up with have FAS because of the circumstances they grew up in, and having rap as the greatest inspiration to their daily lives, the day to day operations of this town are on the level of kids beating up other kids for lunch money, in front of their parents... lol, those kids out there that have to go to boot camp are all ****ing tards, they have it so easy they believe they can do and get away with anything. Why don't the pent up people who have all the anger inside of them and decide to go postal get shoved into the camps? make a shy guy cry and he's likely to write a nasty letter to you, or peg you onto his book as a mean guy who should be killed, well as far as some people are concerned.

This is almost a regular basis thing to me, all low-cut down to earth stuff. We have it pretty easy, us regular folk, but there are people living in america that have it far worse than the average man on the street. Even bums and crackheads have it easy, 100 years ago if you lived your life that way you would have to work for your crack and pick pockets and

I can look back on history and see that even in the 19th century and know that they had it worse, technology is our problem these days, there is so much to focus on and so little mental energy being put towards it. LOL just think what it would be like if more guys who were complete tards with women stopped to think about it for a second, they'd get people like pook floating in their brains as the little men on their shoulder. I am now a medi-vac dispatcher so I get to meet schizophrenics and brand new bible thumpers having visions on a regular basis. None of these people have it hard, they're brains are what causes the problem.

Boner da Stoner

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Jay-X
your post doesn't make sense, since the article was about USA... the only 2 things related to the article that happened to you are the damaging of 2 houses of yours. ok, you have been unlucky. but what if you had been unlucky during the civil war? do you think people who lost a house during the war were unlucky? no, the unlucky people lost all of their family when they were 9-yrs-old

i'm not saying you are lucky, i'm just saying that the stuff you posted does not relate to the thread
depends on WHO you think of in the old times of USA, sure half the people had it easy, the other half could be taken away at any time, there were massive bully's. LOL slave labour is why it seems so easy back than, nobody was really forced to do anything, indians were the ones that truly suffered, than slaves, than the inscripted, than the general public(who were shafted and givin an education in return for their families services), than the politicians... the only way politicians had it bad back than was if they disagreed with the whole. The ease of attack back than was there, but not many would go through with it because of the mass lynchings as was said.

Today though, nobody gets inscripted, we've got drugs to cure diseases that were prescribed leeches, we've got foodstamps for those who are lazy but are willing to do the basics and admit to their 'problems'.

**** we have it easy these days, it doesn;t take a lard ass to show that to us. ****, It's genetic is the solution to that, thses days we have a helluva lot more retarted people than we did back than.

I think this thread should be closed, it is so controversial and without EVERY SINGLE ****ING PIECE OF EVIDENCE ON THE TABLE nobody is going to agree with what is to be said. This is going to turn into a flame war, and my life is worse than yours.

What is the word again?

Oh yeah, pathetic.