Why TV Will FuVk You Up (without you even knowing)

Cheiradawg

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The things that have the the most influence on us are those things we are least aware of.

There has been alot of talk about the media and I would like to add something to it. Thinking about the media more systematically sheds light on the fact that the media as just a pawn of MCC.

The TV and the entire entertainment industry (including video games) does not exist for entertainment purposes. It exists to deliver targeted adversiting audiences to courporations.

MCC has to grow or die;this is its nature. There has to be ever increasing production and ever increasing consumption for capitalism to substain itself.These two things 1) more output and 2) more consumption are not necesarly goods things.

First lets talk about the demand side, ever increasing consumption. Human needs are very modest and are furfilled for more most of the population so MCC has to employ the media/advertising to create more needs. They create more needs in horriable ways. Most advertisements now focus on what once was considered the worst traits of human beings. They promote pride, envy, vanity, short term fulfillment, self-gradification, lust, emotions overiding rational thought, and insecurity to name a few.

I turned on the TV and in 3 minutes I observed the following commercials.
1) The new Dodge Carivan with "Stow and Go" seating. Now they are making cars expecially designed to store all the other crap they need people to buy.
2) A pregnancy test with a clear digital readout. The ending line was "if only everything in life was this clear." Well thank you pregnancy test you are the shining beacon into my life of utter confusion. This once focuses on general incecurities people have in their lives.
3) The AT&T cell phone. They say "bringing people together...AT&T." It subtlely claims that it can make you more friends or put you back in touch with old ones or family members.

Basically they use the worst characteristics of humans to create more "need" in society for products, then turn around and say their products will correct these bad charactersitics in people.

So basically when you watch tv you get hammered with ads that highlight your shortcommings. Actually you are taught that what once was considered to be vices by society is now somewhat "in."

Secondly in short, MCC must produce more output. To produce more output (individual profit) in a captialist economy one must acquire the following characteristics: individualism, selfishness, and self-furfillment.
Again these values are traditional "vices."

Back to advertisting. Skews individuals in another way-- by altering ones concept of reality.

I used to watch Firends. These people in their mid-twenties who always seem to be out of a job live in this fancy NY appartment that is huge. OK

(incert any number of AFC's on TV here)

This is an example of how the media misassociates products with lifestyles. These also misassociate products with happiness, products with relationship, products with sex, and products with the devine.

So what is the point?
The things that have the the most influence on us are those things we are least aware of.

Don't watch TV it will fuvk you up. A man is only as strong as his knowledge of how reality really works. Media distors how reality really works.

Reaction score
Read books that make you think!!!!

Jvesti

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
TV is a reflection of human society itself. stow and go seating isn't some big conspiracy stop smoking crack. It is because people have a bunch of "crap" as you call it and no place to store it. Along comes dodge to solve that problem for people with their van.

That's how capitalism works, it responds to people's needs.

although i definitely do agree, TV is bad for you.

TV, video games, fantasy books are like a drug. They take you to a false reality. It is fine every once in a while (and i honestly don't really bother) The average person spends 6 hours a day watching tv instead of using that 6 hours to better himself.

Start making your own reality and excitement, face your current reality and improve it.

Rallfus

Don Juan
Reaction score
ugh, then what are we all doing on the internet, with g0atse, tubgirl, jap scat and rotten .com?

We're all going to hell.

Cheiradawg

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
This thread wasn't complaining about TV for me personally. I sold mine a year ago.

Jevesti:
That's how capitalism works, it responds to people's needs.
I say the Dodge caravan is an example of how capitalism creates a need then creates a product to solve it. Hence expanding the ever increasing cycle of compusmtion.

People have all this extra crap that they don't need but have accumulated because advertising has said they did "need" it or that having this thing would solve their problems. In fact having these things in itself caused more problems so much so that capitalism now gets to reinvent the minivan to solve the problem of too much crap that it created. lol

This is not good. The end result is that people end of chasing their tail in a circle. At the end of the chasing nothing is solved and the person is just tired.

Become a hippy and "Simplify Man!"

Dirtheart

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Actually this is an area I've been studying from a linguistic point of view and I completely agree with Cheiradawg. Sitcoms, drama, sci-fi and even the news all have hidden agendas and influences.

In fact, these are among the main causes of embedding precepts and preconceptions in our minds that restrict our thinking. Like, for example, the notion that women want "nice guys" or that only the good looking people in the world succeed. And that's before you even start to consider advertising and fashion.

The average person spends 6 hours a day watching tv instead of using that 6 hours to better himself.
This is a very good point too! A lot can be achieved in 6 hours a day.

Crank_It_Up

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
oh my freakin god, now you're afraid you'll be fvcked up by watching an ad on TV? If you are that weak, I feel sorry for you, and by all means don't watch it. Lock yourself in your room and stay in bed with the covers over your head. The world is such a dangerous place for you. A nice clean diaper and some warm milk and you'll be back to your old self again.

Austin Allegro

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
MCC over here stands for 'Marylebone Cricket Club' but I'm assuming you mean 'modern capitalist culture'.

Yep, advertising creates a need and commercial television exists to serve advertisers.

So I agree, break out and don't swallow the lies. Read books, surf the net (selectively) or watch non-commercial tv (I think you call it PBS in the US).

Jvesti

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
social prestige and to have highest you can be is part of human culture to the cave days. It is not some capitalist invention. The caveman with the most sheepskins and dead animals hunted will be envied and looked up to. The market is merely a reaction to this phenomenon. People think buying extra crap make them happy. Because most people care about others perception of them. If they have nothing to show such as their toys and gismos they are looked down upon.

That is the majority of society because regardless of how even you try to make it appear people will always have a sense of inferiority to the next man. This of course is the beta crowd which is a majority of people.

I personally, haven't shopped for clothes for like 2 years. I look at the caravan commercial and think I have no need for all that room, I don't care to buy extra crap. That's just me. I buy no gismo's and gadgets and don't give two ****s what anyone thinks of me. There will be a time when I will have extra money to blow on toys to play with. But I own the money, I don't let the money own me. And when I can comfortably afford large screen tvs without flinching you bet your ass I will buy them but on my terms not to go on a ****in payment plan on my credit card to look more prestigious than I am. And i still could care less if anyone finds out about my tv, i buy it for me. I think its great when people buy toys on their own terms and for themselves not for other reasons.

The whole culture of maxing your credit out to stock your house full of **** is on an inferiority complex. Making your social standing appear greater than what it is to impress others. Trying to get as much as you can without expecting to work for it. Being dishonest with yourself. I see a bunch of supplicating betas that will always be throughout society.

No matter if you got communism, feudalism, capitalism. You will always have this phenomenon, it is human nature. No matter what system is dealt to you people with the majority of them will always attempt to find ways to create false realities of social standing to try and impress others.