Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

What intermediate program should I do after StrongLifts 5x5?

mellow_yellow

Don Juan
Reaction score
Today is the 5 month anniversary of my modified StrongLifts 3x5 program (w/ pull-ups) program that I began on April 3rd. I started most of the exercises with an empty barbell and progressed to today's stats below.

I DMed EyeBRollin, but looks like he hasn't logged in for a while. He told me that after I end up deloading twice for 2 different exercises (squats and overhead press for me) I'll be ready to move onto an intermediate program.

Should I move over to Madcow 5x5, Wendler 5/3/1, or something else?

My Stats
  • squats. 235 lb x 3 sets x 3 reps
    • I failed at 235 lb about 2 weeks ago. Had to deload squats for the 2nd time to 210 lb. Worked my way back up and got 235 on Weds.
  • bench press. 171 lb x 3 x 5/4/3
    • Pressed 169 x 3 x 5 about 2 weeks ago. Failed at 171 for 3 workouts in a row. Deloading to 150 lb for the 1st time and switching to 3x3.
  • pendlay barbell row. 180 lb x 3 x 5
    • I got the row up to 200 lb, but I wasn't getting full range of motion (FROM). So I decided to deload (for the 1st time) by 15% on purpose so I can work on getting FROM. Deloaded to 175 and I got FROM for that, but at 180 I began to struggle getting clean reps again. I'm going to say somewhere between 170-180 lb is my limit for FROM barbell rows.
  • overhead press. 116 lb x 3 x 3/2/2
    • Failed at 116 lb for 3rd workout in a row. Deloaded my OHP for the 2nd time. SL app recommends I deload to 100 lb and switch to 1x3. 1x3 sounds like too little volume so keeping it at 3x3.
  • deadlift. 255 lb x 1 x 5
    • I got 250 at the beginning of August, then failed at 255 lb for 3 workouts in a row. Deloaded for the 1st time down to 225 lb and working my way back up. I'm at 235 x 1 x 5 since Weds.
  • pull-ups. BW x 3 x 6/5/3
    • I switched to chin-ups on June 7th after struggling to do pull-ups. I got my chin-ups to BW+20 lb using a dip belt then I got stuck for a few workouts. I switched back to pull-ups in early August and trying to do 3 sets x 10 reps. I started getting between 4-9 reps however last week, I decided to focus on quality. For 3 sets, my best FROM reps are 6 / 5 / 3 reps.

• My best guess on why I can't do more reps is because I'm too heavy and need to lose more fat. I think my upper back is done with its beginner gains which is why it's hard to get stronger.

• I read through all of the recent posts/recs in my pull-up thread. Will implement methods to shock my back into growing again.