Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Vocational jobs in the next 10+ years

BetterCallSaul

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm seeing that some members get asked about their profession by our younger members on the forum; I've had that happen too. I'd prefer not to say specifically what I do, but it's essentially white collar type work, the usual office job just sitting at a desk in front of a computer dealing with whatever comes my way. I've been doing this stuff for 20 years (yes the math is correct) and I'm reasonably well off right now.

But one thing I've seen over the years is that my work by no means is immune to downsizing. Really there's not a lot that is. It occurred to me a number of years ago that I should try to think of some other field that I could work in in the event I got laid off or just due to the general economy, my field became overly saturated similar to how we're seeing a huge number of lawyers in the field today.

I have personally witnessed the slow (ok, maybe abrupt) death of vocational studies offered in most typical public high schools, and I'm not that old. My older brothers went to the same high school I did and I remember when they were in they had specific, good quality vocational programs available for teens ranging from automotive repair to drafting to welding and I think some carpentry. When I was attending, these same programs were still available but it didn't seem like there were as many kids attending these classes. I myself didn't at the time either.

Over the years I've realized this trend was occurring all over the place as teachers and guidance counselors, administrators and dam near everyone was pushing the whole mantra of "everyone needs to go to college". The fact remains college isn't for everyone and even though I went too, I really got sick of school after I finished high school. I've always been pretty handy at fixing things. My dad was mechanically inclined with a lot of things and when I was in my early 20s I surprised even myself at just how much stuck with me all those years, all the details of what I remembered or how to tackle a certain task. And I'm not talking simple junk like changing out an a/c filter or running a leaf blower to clean up outside. I'm talking about complete engine breakdowns and overhauls, transmission swaps, building an entire garage and barn from NOTHING to replumbing part of the water lines for the house within the lovely confines of a 1 foot high crawl space. I'm sure I'm leaving out a bunch of others but that gives you an idea.

Vocational jobs are, in my opinion, going to be in serious demand within the next 10+ years specifically because all those people telling kids they had to go to college will come back to bite them in the a$$. Not enough kids are coming out of high school with interests in vocational trades to help fill the demand in those industries, yet the demand for those services will still be there. Older guys in the trades will eventually retire and who will fill the spots?

Vocational trades have often gotten a bad reputation for being poor paying fields or work for the uneducated or slackers or whatever. But the bottom line is that our world, every single day, relies on the services and skills of people in trades like plumbing, electrical, pipefitting, carpentry, welding, construction, etc. Will you get rich being an employee doing this work? Honestly, probably not, unless you open your own business and are good at running it. But it is able to provide an income that can usually sustain you and a family.

I decided to get licensed in one trade a number of years ago just as insurance against a downturn in my industry. I probably would not necessarily want to transition if I could find another desk job, but change can be hard especially if forced on you and I know that if I showed interest in learning and determination I should be able to find work pretty easily being apprenticed by someone.

One last thing that's usually not talked about with regard to trades is that you don't really see any women working in the field. I personally have never seen any. There are 2 main benefits here, the first being that not having to work around many women generally cuts out a lot of BS that comes with them being around. Men can joke with one another like men. The second benefit is that this truly can be embraced as a man's work and to a lot of women out there, that's incredibly sexy. Some women get turned on by calloused hands for example.

I wonder if there are any in the trades here who might be able to offer some input?

100percent

Reaction score
I work as a union electrician in the sf Bay Area . Being in the trades you are correct in not getting rich . There is opportunity to make good money and have a good retirement . The current wage per hour in sf bay are ranges from 49.50 to 56.00 per hour for a journeyman depending on what county you are working in . . General Foreman are 125% and Foreman are 112 1/2 % journeyman rate . I know of journeyman making 150k per year and general foreman making 190k per year .

Desdinova

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The way I see it, Health Care is a fantastic field to get into right now (which is where I am). The baby boomers are hitting age 60-70, and there's going to be more demand to take care of them. We'll need more nurses, more doctors, more pharmacists, more clinics. We're also going to need more 65+ buildings and more personal care homes. The decline will start to hit when I'm ready for retirement, so there's a pretty good guarantee that my job will be secure.

Look at the graphs:

http://users.rcn.com/jkimball.ma.ultranet/BiologyPages/B/BabyBoom75.gif

http://i1-news.softpedia-static.com/images/news2/How-Baby-Boomers-Affect-Retirement-Plans-2.jpg