Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

TV Commercials (your opinion?)

Black Widow Void

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It's been over half my life since I voluntarily watched commercial television. While visiting family or on dates, I'm subjected, but it's not by choice.

Last night, due to an important event (which will remain nameless because I don't want certain mods to froth over my posting) I watched 6 hours worth of network TV.

I noticed two things that have changed over past decades.

1. Most commercials now seem to have several images per second. Let's say that it's a 30 second spot. This means that we are seeing an average of 60 to 100 images in a half a minute.

Is this healthy for our brain? I think not, but welcome your views.

2. Nearly all commercials seemed to portray a certain gender of a specific race as being the klutz or fall guy.

Considering that a majority of us put our trust behind two figures (last night) that represent this gender and specific race, I find this 'theme' of commercials to be a bit ironic.

Your thoughts?

Who Dares Win

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Regarding the images I believe its just that the attention span of people nowadays is so low that in order to keep it they need to overload our perception, also since people attention is demanded basically everywhere, people is no longer willing to grant it easily.

Regarding point 2 not really sure what you meant, can you define the klutz concept better?

Black Widow Void

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Regarding point 2 not really sure what you meant, can you define the klutz concept better?
Seems like most of the commercials in the U.S. project a particular image about a certain gender (of a certain race) . This person is usually seen in commercials as clumsy or inferior or weak and usually the punch line of a joke.

If the above descriptives were equally distributed to both sex's and every ethnicity, I wouldn't give it much thought. Unfortunately, this is not the case.

Who Dares Win

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Seems like most of the commercials in the U.S. project a particular image about a certain gender (of a certain race) . This person is usually seen in commercials as clumsy or inferior or weak and usually the punch line of a joke.

If the above descriptives were equally distributed to both sex's and every ethnicity, I wouldn't give it much thought. Unfortunately, this is not the case.
Well we talked about it many times, its impossible to deny and they keep showing such model even when it backfires as if their main goal was not profit but culturing ideas within people's head.

NiceBarn

Don Juan
Reaction score
Also, people fast forward commercials with their DVRs. So, if the audio message is missed maybe a catchy still frame will capture their attention and they’ll stop to investigate. No idea if they actually do this but they have to try something to combat this option.

After the bombardment of, “now more than ever” messages over quarantine, I’ve stopped watching TV for a few months. I have since caved to watch only my local football team. I’ve tried skipping them with the DVR but that gets too tedious.

Instead, I mute every commercial break halftime update, and any type of advertisement. It’s actually pretty easy to do. They give you so many audio cues and intro theme music throughout the game to find the remote in time to mute. I kinda wish I tried this years ago.

Serenity

Reaction score
Can't remember the last time I watched TV commercials actually. I remember they were annoying as hell, with very few exceptions that were actually funny.

I have a PC hooked up to my TV, I can play games, watch movies and series, browse the internet and best of all, block ads. I don't pay for any channels, all I need is my PC and internet. Paying for regular TV is throwing money out of the window.

zekko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I like commercials sometimes if they're funny (like some Geico commercials) or if they have a hot chick (like the AT&T girl).

SW15

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Also, people fast forward commercials with their DVRs. So, if the audio message is missed maybe a catchy still frame will capture their attention and they’ll stop to investigate. No idea if they actually do this but they have to try something to combat this option.

After the bombardment of, “now more than ever” messages over quarantine, I’ve stopped watching TV for a few months. I have since caved to watch only my local football team. I’ve tried skipping them with the DVR but that gets too tedious.

Instead, I mute every commercial break halftime update, and any type of advertisement. It’s actually pretty easy to do. They give you so many audio cues and intro theme music throughout the game to find the remote in time to mute. I kinda wish I tried this years ago.
The DVR is a fading device. DVRs are most popular with Gen X'ers (1965-1980/1981 births). With Millennials, the DVR isn't an essential device, and Millennials are more opt to stream. Streaming is the big source of content for Millennials.

Linear TV (watching TV stations as they are broadcast) is becoming a less common way to watch TV.

In the first decade or so after DVRs came out, there was some research about their effectiveness in ad recall. There were indications that having a DVR actually made someone more attuned to ads and processing them out, because they needed to know where to stop the fast forwarding. It's been about 10 years since I last saw research on that.

A lot of brand advertisers are finding TV isn't as effective as it once was for their product/service promotion efforts. In the advertising world, for 360 days per year, TV is basically not well regarded. Then for the rougly 5-7 days around the Super Bowl, TV advertising becomes well regarded.

There are fewer advertisers who have the capability of doing well on TV as compared to 25-30 years ago, which was a time when cable was mature (albeit with fewer channels), the internet was in its infancy, and that was still the pre-DVR era.

Tip: Adblock Plus extension for Chrome and Firefox blocks YouTube ads in videos along with all other ads. Been using it for years, it's free, no BS and it just works.
AdBlock is awesome. YouTube is much better with AdBlock in place.

samspade

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Your thoughts?
They're just trying to create a hole in your life so they can fill it with their stupid product or service. They need to be clever and/or controversial to get our attention.

I'm not against advertising per se. I just find it pathetic the way commercials treat their widgets like the be-all, end-all. More pathetic is that consumers seem to buy into it. Then we wonder why so many Americans are fat or depressed or violent or whatever. Maybe because the beer or car they bought didn't bring the bikini girls or the inner happiness as promised.

I've caught a few commercials during ball games, and COVID has really shown just how lame advertisers are. Sure, we're all in this together, you, me, and Arby's.

Last edited:

Alvafe

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
meh I live by things I know it work and the cheaper its avaiable at that moment, so I never really go for brand, plus annoying ads tend me to avoid said product.

I know they do so to try and bait people, but I don't understand how people fall for it

redskinsfan92

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Tip: Adblock Plus extension for Chrome and Firefox blocks YouTube ads in videos along with all other ads. Been using it for years, it's free, no BS and it just works.
I have tried it before
1. Had too many issues with it. Sites detecting it and such
2. I mostly watch Youtube on my phone

It's been years since I tried though. I'll try out their mobile browser for a while

SW15

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
They're just trying to create a hole in your life so they can fill it with their stupid product or service. They need to be clever and/or controversial to get our attention.

I'm not against advertising per se. I just find it pathetic the way commercials treat their widgets like the be-all, end-all. More pathetic is that consumers seem to buy into it. Then we wonder why so many Americans are fat or depressed or violent or whatever. Maybe because the beer or car they bought didn't bring the bikini girls or the inner happiness as promised.

I've caught a few commercials during ball games, and COVID has really shown just how lame advertisers are. Sure, we're all in this together, you, me, and Arby's.
That is pretty much the point of advertising. Advertising creates urgency. Advertising reaches deep into your psyche and brings to light your deep unmet needs. The other elements of the marketing mix (Price, Product, and Distribution Channels) are supposed to work in conjunction with the advertising efforts to induce the purchase. A product purchase is meant to solve a perceived need.

Car advertisers appeal to men in trying to think that their car is going to get them laid by attractive, young women.

In a recession, a lot of companies pull back on their marketing spend. Inferior goods often ramp up marketing spend as consumers trade down into them. Natural Light beer had some of its best years ever in 2008-09 during the worst of the financial crisis. Right now, alcohol spending is up (true of all recessions) and it is likely led by some of the worst beer and liquor brands.

Serenity

Reaction score
I have tried it before
1. Had too many issues with it. Sites detecting it and such
2. I mostly watch Youtube on my phone

It's been years since I tried though. I'll try out their mobile browser for a while
1. Yeah, that's extremely annoying. I don't get that often though.
2. Only premium can save you from the ads there.

Alvafe

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
That is pretty much the point of advertising. Advertising creates urgency. Advertising reaches deep into your psyche and brings to light your deep unmet needs. The other elements of the marketing mix (Price, Product, and Distribution Channels) are supposed to work in conjunction with the advertising efforts to induce the purchase. A product purchase is meant to solve a perceived need.

Car advertisers appeal to men in trying to think that their car is going to get them laid by attractive, young women.

In a recession, a lot of companies pull back on their marketing spend. Inferior goods often ramp up marketing spend as consumers trade down into them. Natural Light beer had some of its best years ever in 2008-09 during the worst of the financial crisis. Right now, alcohol spending is up (true of all recessions) and it is likely led by some of the worst beer and liquor brands.
about the cars, they work as a lay tool, works better for young without a car girls, its the whole what the guy can offer