Transition from opening to fluff?

Hoppy

Don Juan
Reaction score
First off I apologize in advance for asking a dumb question but I’m having a hard time in this area. I can open up girls fairly easily now but I can’t seem to transition into the fluff so that I can number close.

I’ll give you a couple examples of what I’m talking about from this weekend.

Example 1: I get behind a hb8 in the checkout line at Wal-Mart. I notice a pair of tap shoes in her cart.
Me: You’re a tap dancer?
Hb8 looks at me, smiles then looks away.
Hb8: Yep.
I wait for her to look back so I can make eye contact to judge her interest level, she never looks back again. Uncomfortable silence for 5mins while were in line.

Example2: In another checkout line, this time Target. Two cuties are in line ahead of me. The cashier is having troubles with their check and is making a call about it.
Me: Aww, you broke the register (accusing tone).
Both girls give me big smiles but say nothing. At this point I have no idea what to do I start to choke.
Me: must be a new check book, right?
Grl1: No, I think it’s because I already spent, like $600 here this weekend.
At this point Grl1 is giving me a vibe like she doesn’t want to continue the conversation but grl2 is eyeing me like she’s into me. Unfortunately I choke. I can’t think of anyway to transition to the second girl.

I would really appreciate any input you guys can give me. What you would say at the points where I quit, better openers that are easier to follow up on. Anything really at this point.

It’s taken me two months to get to the point where I can even talk to women I find attractive. I know I’m progressing at a snail’s pace but I’m not giving up until I’m a DJ, damnit!

Dapper Swindler

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
At least your posting conversations that are believable and relatable here. I can actually see this happening to me.

It sounds like you're doing great, just don't get discouraged if this kind of reaction happens a lot. Instead of feeling bad that there wasn't a great reaction, feel good that you are making the effort.

In Example One, without thinking first, I would have asked, "how long have you been tap dancing" Not a great line, but that is what would have come into my head. The thing to remember is to not worry if you're lines are not great. ANYTHING is infinitely better than NOTHING. So say anything.

In Example Two, without thinking first, I would have asked, "Wow, what did you spend $600 on?!" She might take that as an insult, like I'm implying she is throwing away money. But by her saying that, I think the question is begged. Either way, again, ANYTHING is better than NOTHING.

Hoppy

Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks dude. Your exampes are helpful. Should just keep bouncing questions off of them until i hit on something they want to/are willing to talk about?

Breadwinner

Reaction score
LOL...i've had that happen to me before in the checkout line too. I'm really upbeat so I don't get discouraged much but it was kind of awkward. I agree with Dapper but I wouldn't suggest bouncing lots of questions at them, you might seem kind of pushy. I'd suggest asking open ended questions like "Why do you like tap dancing?."

Hoppy

Don Juan
Reaction score
Wouldn't asking "Why do you like taping?" come off as prying though?