"The Coffee Shop Girl You Never Spoke To"

You've replayed it a hundred times. She stood three feet away, scrolling her phone. You had an opening. You composed the perfect line — after she was gone.

For all you know, she's married now. To some guy who said something. Anything.

Openers are cheap. Almost any sentence works when it's delivered within three seconds. The expensive part is the standing there, drafting and deleting, while the window quietly closes.

The "22 Rules" stripped out my hesitation. What to open with, how to keep it alive, and the one habit that costs guys more women than anything else: waiting for perfect.

Read more...

Talk on the phone or NOT?

Maximus_Decimus

Don Juan
Joined
Feb 10, 2003
Messages
183
Reaction score
5
I've seen ample threads lately involving phone conversations. Many DJs here regard calling your GF to just talk as okay. Thus, you are instigating the call. My take on this at the moment is the same as Anti-Dump. Call her to set up the next date:

Originally posted by Anti-Dump:
THE PERFECT DON JUAN
...

He never talks over an hour with a women on the phone. EVER. Twenty minutes is tops. He avoids contact with her. With e-mails and messages, etc. between dates. He calls once to arrange the next date.
The original thread by Anti-Dump is posted here:

http://www.sosuave.net/forum/showthread.php?threadid=16851&highlight=phone

By calling her, you are not following Anti-Dump's advice: "He avoids contact with her."

Maximus_Decimus
 
Last edited:

"I just moved here from Florida."

That sentence contains at least five follow-up questions she WANTS you to ask. Where in Florida? What brought you here? How long have you been in the area? What do you miss? How does it compare to here?

She handed them to you on a silver platter. And you said, "Oh cool. I come here every week. I love this band. Ummm... pretty crowded tonight."

She smiled politely. Nodded. And never texted you back.

I was that guy for years. Talking too much. Listening too little. Panicking about my next sentence while she was literally feeding me the answers.

Then I found 22 rules that fixed the whole thing. Rule number one: shut up and listen. She'll tell you exactly what to say.

Read more...

Dirtheart

Master Don Juan
Joined
Mar 18, 2004
Messages
952
Reaction score
1
Age
49
Location
UK
I figure it's better to use your initiative than stick to such "rules". In my experience, it all depends on the woman, your relationship and whether you have the ability to keep a good conversation going.

If conversation is strained, then it's best not to exhaust conversation on the phone. If your relationship is just physical then talking on the phone is pointless. Otherwise I don't see any harm. I talk to my girlfriend regularly on the phone and we are much closer as a result of it, BUT conversation never dwindles between us.

Just don't talk too regularly, otherwise it will appear that you have nothing better to do.
 

PeeGee

Senior Don Juan
Joined
Apr 5, 2004
Messages
484
Reaction score
3
Age
46
Location
Ontario
I made the mistake of talking regularly. Now, I have a cell phone, so calls have to be fast or I'll make them fast.:D
 

Maximus_Decimus

Don Juan
Joined
Feb 10, 2003
Messages
183
Reaction score
5
I originally posted this thread because I was hoping for some discussion on this subject. Anti-Dump's idea on using the phone is definitely sound advice for an AFC. I can see a few problems with calling your GF on the phone:

- Your time is valuable because you are a DJ leading a busy life. How busy are you if you can spare lots of time to talk to your GF for long periods at a time?

- Too much talk time on the phone is anti-challenge and anti-mystery. Your GF should anticipate the next date with you. Why would she bother to date you in real life if you've already dated her on the telephone?

- Even if you are the most funny and best conversationalist in the world, anybody will get bored of you and your style of humor if they talk to you long enough. If you talk to the same person day, after day, after day, after day ... ... the most interesting person in the world can easily become dull.

Maximus_Decimus
 

DJD

Don Juan
Joined
Sep 24, 2004
Messages
75
Reaction score
0
Some great points in this thread! Even when conversations become extended, they should have some sort of 'direction' or clear point to them, they shouldn't be static, stagnant blabbing (especially when getting to know someone). Now, there is probably a little more latitude for this type of thing with a girlfriend, but a woman still probably expects to just blab with her girlfriends - and guys do the same with their friends too sometimes, but if you want to come across as a man with some direction in life you won't be sitting around engaging in idle chatter. Better to leave her wanting more than to overdo it. I really liked the point by Maximus on this type of behavior undermining one's ability to remain a challenge and a mystery - some female friends have told me that directly - that most women prefer a mysteryor a challenge to having a man be such an easily available 'open book' (especially too soon).
 
Last edited:

"Stop Asking Your Friends What to Text Her"

Your buddy Dave has been single for three years and thinks "hey u up" is a valid strategy. Your other buddy Mike just got dumped and told you to "just be yourself."

You showed them her text. You asked them to decode the emoji. You drafted four responses and sent the screenshot to the group chat for a vote.

She's been waiting forty minutes.

Put the phone down. Stop crowdsourcing your love life. Type something that sounds like you. Hit send. Then go do literally anything else with your evening.

Read more...

Top