Before the mods move this to off-topic, this post isn't about whether or not I should dye my hair. It's about reframing the reactions that people have to sudden change.
So I dyed my hair last night. Understand that I live in a small, hicksville sort of town, so there's a real unspoken conformity to the way people dress, speak, and act. Los Angeles, this is not.
I'm naturally a red-head (not bright at all, dark auburn), and last night I dyed my hair black. When I was at the store holding the bottle of hair dye, I asked myself if this was congruent with who I was. The answer I came up with was "Yes."
I had always wanted to change my hair color simply because being red-headed makes you stand out and I didn't like the attention. Reason #2 is that I was afraid of what my family might think if I changed my hair color...so I wanted to face that fear. Reason #3 is that I didn't want to limit myself to people's preconceived notions of what I should look and act like. It's my choice, not theirs. Reason #4 is that I liked the new color.
So I get home (I'm 18 and going to college in a month), my mom sees my hair and initially she can't even tell that I dyed it. I'm like, "Yeah I woke up today and something was a little bit different about me."
And she's like, "What??" I point to my hair. She goes, "Did you get it cut again?" I go, "No, I died it." And then she starts freaking out and has been for a good half hour.
She called the new color ugly, saying it doesn't go with my skintone, that she'd wash it out as fast as possible, etc, and generally just trying to make me feel like shyt.
Basically, she took it as a personal offense to her. Just because I dyed my hair, she thinks:
A) I have low self-esteem
B) I am very susceptible to peer-pressure
C) I want to be non-unique
D) I'm effeminate
That's horse-shyt. One of the reasons I did this is because I wanted to do it (duh) and I knew that if I didn't, then I'd be supplicating to my parents and other close relatives--caving in to what they thought I should be.
It's just really hard to make a change like this and have people accept it...does anyone have a way to reframe things like this? The fact that I died with my hair is totally congruent with who I have become and totally incongruent with the AFC that my parents raised me to be.
Did anyone else feel this kind of sheer resistance whenever they made a change in their lives?
Thanks guys, I really want to hear some responses.
So I dyed my hair last night. Understand that I live in a small, hicksville sort of town, so there's a real unspoken conformity to the way people dress, speak, and act. Los Angeles, this is not.
I'm naturally a red-head (not bright at all, dark auburn), and last night I dyed my hair black. When I was at the store holding the bottle of hair dye, I asked myself if this was congruent with who I was. The answer I came up with was "Yes."
I had always wanted to change my hair color simply because being red-headed makes you stand out and I didn't like the attention. Reason #2 is that I was afraid of what my family might think if I changed my hair color...so I wanted to face that fear. Reason #3 is that I didn't want to limit myself to people's preconceived notions of what I should look and act like. It's my choice, not theirs. Reason #4 is that I liked the new color.
So I get home (I'm 18 and going to college in a month), my mom sees my hair and initially she can't even tell that I dyed it. I'm like, "Yeah I woke up today and something was a little bit different about me."
And she's like, "What??" I point to my hair. She goes, "Did you get it cut again?" I go, "No, I died it." And then she starts freaking out and has been for a good half hour.
She called the new color ugly, saying it doesn't go with my skintone, that she'd wash it out as fast as possible, etc, and generally just trying to make me feel like shyt.
Basically, she took it as a personal offense to her. Just because I dyed my hair, she thinks:
A) I have low self-esteem
B) I am very susceptible to peer-pressure
C) I want to be non-unique
D) I'm effeminate
That's horse-shyt. One of the reasons I did this is because I wanted to do it (duh) and I knew that if I didn't, then I'd be supplicating to my parents and other close relatives--caving in to what they thought I should be.
It's just really hard to make a change like this and have people accept it...does anyone have a way to reframe things like this? The fact that I died with my hair is totally congruent with who I have become and totally incongruent with the AFC that my parents raised me to be.
Did anyone else feel this kind of sheer resistance whenever they made a change in their lives?
Thanks guys, I really want to hear some responses.