Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

protein intake limit

nibun

Don Juan
Reaction score
I heard somewhere that the body can only absorb about 30 grams of protein in one meal. Can anybody confirm this? If it's true, I'm gonna have to adjust my diet

K-Daddy

Don Juan
Reaction score
That's a myth. It's impossible to say that any individual human body can only absorb X amount of protein in one sitting. Besides, what is one sitting? And wouldn't this depend on bodyweight? Anyway, you can see that there are way too many variables to put a tag on exactly what is the maximum amount of protein that your body will use.

Your body's going to do SOMETHING with every bit of protein you eat, just as it will with carbs and fat. Don't use this as a license to get all your daily protein requirements in one or two meals, though. You need a constant supply of protein throughout the day to maintain a positive nitrogen balance in your body. You can play with it how you like, but try to make sure that, if you're doing a simple 6 small meals a day sort of diet breakdown, you're dividing up your protein intake reasonably among your meals. If you have to put significantly more protein in one meal than another, try to use slower-releasing protein like casein (in milk and dairy and stuff like that) and egg (do I have to tell you where this is found? :) ) so your body won't immediately digest it.

daman01

Don Juan
Reaction score
K-daddy you are wrong. According Arnold's book of bodybuilding, certain types of protein can't digest fully into the body because they don't have the complete amino acids. Others can like eggs and tuna.

Lets say you eat a 2 pound steak, there is no way your body can absorb all that protein in one sitting. That is why you should eat 5 to 6 meals a day. Depending on if you want to cut up or bulk. That way you can absorb everything up.

K-Daddy

Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm wrong because I stated that you can't put a tag on exactly how much protein can be absorbed in one sitting? Wow, imagine that. I can't remember the last time someone was wrong for saying one bodily process involving many individual processes varies from person to person.

And I didn't say that all the protein would be absorbed. Yes, there is a certain limit that is individual to each person as to how much protein can be absorbed for muscle-building or muscle-preserving purposes. What I was saying is that 30g is not necessarily the limit. And whatever protein your body does not absorbed will be likely used for fuel. That's what I was addressing when I was saying why it's important to space it out so your body won't have to make immediate use of the protein. Take casein for example; you can take in a whole lot of it at one type and reap the benefits of it better than you could something like whey. Casein forms into a solid ball and is then digested/used I think for the next 6 hours. Whey is digested almost immediately, so in consuming large amounts of whey at one time you run the risk of burning too much of it for energy and not maintaining a positive nitrogen balance.

I think the incomplete proteins you're referring to are those found in beans, which includes soy which, even isolated, is still incomplete I believe (though I could be wrong). They're still gonna absorb, but they aren't optimal for muscle-building or muscle-preserving purposes.

Templeton

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
This has long been a contentious issue but I am not aware of any research that conclusively proves your body can only assimilate 30g of protein. From where does this figure derive? Also this was touted from around 20 odd years ago - maybe longer and more recent nutritional approaches dont give it much credence.

Surely if, as Arnold says, only certain protein sources can be fully absorbed then any amount (within reason) of such a particular source can and will be absorbed. It is certainly a good idea to consume a much higher amount than 30g for your first meal of the day and also post workout - some would suggest up to 100g immediately following a workout. Perhaps 50g (preferably whey due to the speed of absorbtion) immediately and another 50 an hour later would be a better approach - along with a good amount of complex and simple carbs to maximize insulin response and shuttle the protein to where it is needed.