Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Order of exercises for tri's and chest? Please critique

Escude

Don Juan
Reaction score
I got a few questions as to what order to do the exercises
on my workouts. I usually do tri's and chest the same day. I'm pretty busy with work so I do these groups together. Anyways... I tend to alternate between chest and tricep exercises, starting with chest..

My chest exercises are flat bench (bar), incline press (dumbell), flat (dumbell), cable crossover from low-high and high-low

My tricep exercises are skullcrusher, cable pulldown, dumbbell extensions (one handed).

I usually finish off the session with a few sets of dips. Here are my questions

1) would you do these in any order? As of now I go in the order I typed them in, again, alternating chest and tri exercises.

2) Do I need to incorporate some sort of decline press either dumbell or bar?

My goal is to gain strength and mass which I am doing but don't want to plateau in a few months. Oh yeah I'm also eating right, lots of protein. I'm an ectomorph now with low body fat, kinda project myself as a Bruce Lee type look from Enter the Dragon... I'm a lot skinnier than that now though LOL.

Escude

Don Juan
Reaction score
Also, would changing the order of the exercises periodically make a big difference?

Soshyopathe

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
1)The dumbell benching should come before the flat benching, your tri excersizes are in good order as you listed them.

2)Yes, you should incorporate decline press. If you're dumbell pressing, there is little reason to be flat benching as well. DB benching is more complete an excersize.

3)As a general rule, you want to start out with your compound excersizes and finish with your simple excersizes. It's really a pain in the ass to try to do skullcrushers after tri extensions. It takes away your skullcrushing power, and extensions are supposed to be a burnout excersize. For the same reason, you wouldn't start on leg extensions, then go squat, because it would F with your squat, and you wouldn't hit a deep failure on your extensions anyway.
You should find other ways to shock the muscles when the time comes. Like dropsets, change excersizes, or simple weight increase.

DIESEL

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'd throw in Close Grip Bench for the Tris.. do them before Skulls...

Also alternate the order between your incline and Flat work for the chest. For example.. do two weeks of Incline first then follow it with two weeks of Flat first... you can also use this rationale to alternate between barbell and dumbbell work as well.

However, always lift heavy no matter if you choose barbell or dumbbell..

D

Templeton

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Definately agree with doing close grip benches - the best tricep movement IMHO - especially when done heavy for 8 reps or less. I like to go real close - 6 inches or so - perhaps even less on occasion. Use a 5ft bar (straight or EZ, I like them both) if you find balance a problem. This movement has the added benefit of really hitting the inner chest - yes, I know that physiology says you shouldn't be able to isolate the inner pecs but from experience I would beg to differ.