Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Not eating before lifting

swigue

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I usually don't eat before my mornign lifting. I get up at 6am and don't want to wait around for it to digest.

I just read something saying that this is bad b/c my body is catabolic??? Is this true?? Should I downa shake before going? I have done this a few times and always feel sort of sluggish in the gym.

I'm not in BBing terrain yet, so if there is no major difference, I don't care too much. Is there a difference in muscle gain?

bman

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
this is a terrible thing to do if you are trying to gain weight. your body burns all your food when you sleep. its always important to eat in the morning. thats the first thing i do when i get up. try just eating some cereal and some fruit in the morning before you work out. eat right when u get up then get ready. you shouldnt feel sluggish. i alway drink a ton of water when i get up too becuase i get dehydrated in the morning.

swigue

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
hmmm. What about if I am trying to cut? Is it still bad?

Unbridled_1

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
in the morning your body is in a catabolic state and will start to take protein from your own muscles if you do not give it some protein. I suggest about 10g of whey protein when you first get up, then wait ATLEAST a half hour to work out.

If your are doing heavy lifting, then have a bigger meal that also includes low-glycemic complex carbs, and increase the protein amount.

Templeton

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Big breakfast. Your body needs and can handle a lot of food at this time. Good time for even simple carbs - as is post workout. As for protein - 10g? Screw that. Try 50g - your body is crying out for protein first thing. Then wait longer before you train. If it means getting up earlier then so be it.

This is aimed at someone trying to gain muscle tissue of course. If trying to drop weight then you could exercise on an empty stomach (aerobic exercise) but hitting the weights hard without plenty of nutrients in me is not something I care for no matter what my goals. Others may have had more positive experiences of doing so.

Oxide

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
uhhh, where do i get 50g of protein? i drink milk and eat stuff like yogurts and nutri bars, and eat a lot of other stuff, but not many of them got over 2-5g of protein

Templeton

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Oxide
uhhh, where do i get 50g of protein? i drink milk and eat stuff like yogurts and nutri bars, and eat a lot of other stuff, but not many of them got over 2-5g of protein
4 whole eggs = approx 24g protein - make an omelette - it is breakfast after all, enjoy it! Porridge oats with milk - about 20g protein in a pint of skimmed milk. Protein powders. Protein bars - Muscletech, Nitrotech bars very good and 35g whey protein - better absorbed than other bars. So how about some kinds of combinations of the above? A fave of mine is scrambled egg with salmon mixed in (mouth is watering now:O). Chuck in veg with the scrambled eggs and omelettes - mushrooms - bell peppers.

C'mon its easy - get too it!

Oxide

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
ok, ok. thanks, i enjoy omlettes too, in fact ill think ill go make one. is there a list or something with the stuff that is good for u? id love to read it. plus im hoping to sign up for this skinnyguy.net thing today or tommorrow.

swigue

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm still not quite clear on this. Sorry.

I understand it is better to eat b4 lifting (for energy etc.), but is it true that it severely inhibits muscle growth to lift on an empty stomach?

It seems to me that as long as I eat right after, my body wouldn't be catabolic for long.

Maybe I wasn't clear. I usually go to the gym at 6am and then eat a 40g/60g, protein/carb meal afterwards.

I didn't mean skipping breakfast all together.

Eating before working out would require me getting up at 5am, something that is unlikely to happen. That's why I was wondering.

-Swigue