Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Is there a discreet way of asking if there is a drug test?

Maeisgood

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
1. How do I get this question answered without asking, "Is there a drug test," or "Can I smoke pot?"

I met the boss at another job of mine and we seemed to hit it off and got to talking about college and pot and our experiences with it. I want this job so much, that I'm afraid that he may not hire me because I said I smoked. Even if I don't get this job, I'll still want to know if there's a drug test.

2. Is there an official record of who failed drug tests when employers do background checks?

Deep Dish

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I have held about 20 jobs in the past decade and I've only been tested twice. The only time I've ever been drug tested were for positions which involved use of heavy machinery. Drug tests also tend to be done by big companies, not small firms, probably due to the cost of finding and hiring an employee is expensive enough. So, I would say, it's unlikely you will be tested or randomly tested. When in doubt, the best thing to do is abstain until after you're hired. And once you're hired you'd be able to figure out the possibility of random drug tests.

The US Supreme Court ruled the basis for the constitutionality of drug tests rests in the fact the results are not shared outside of the individual employer.

Hughman

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
As I understand it, they have to inform you in advance if they wish to test you. Don't take anything/smoke anything 3 weeks before urine samples (so if you're going for an important job, just cut the pot for a while). If they want hair samples, you're stuffed. If they don't ask about your habits, you don't tell them.

Maeisgood

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

If I simply ask them that almost is admission of smoking weed. It is a small business I think, so they may not even want to waste the money on testing employees. And for that reason, they may not have an official rule book saying if they test.

When I usually get a job, I work for small companies because they are usually friendlier and chiller and don't have corporate beaucracy and BS to go through the motions of. I'm about to leave college and enter the "real" world and am afraid of not being able to smoke until I retired, which may never happen...

Hughman

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Maeisgood said:
Thanks for the replies.

If I simply ask them that almost is admission of smoking weed. It is a small business I think, so they may not even want to waste the money on testing employees. And for that reason, they may not have an official rule book saying if they test.

When I usually get a job, I work for small companies because they are usually friendlier and chiller and don't have corporate beaucracy and BS to go through the motions of. I'm about to leave college and enter the "real" world and am afraid of not being able to smoke until I retired, which may never happen...
I take it you're American? What employers except the Government regularly test their employees? It's surely too unwieldy? And by the sounds of, you're a free-gun, so do you really want to be in a company that has no trust and dominates your private life?

Deep Dish

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hughman said:
I take it you're American? What employers except the Government regularly test their employees?
Actually, the American government cannot test its staff. In 1988, the US Supreme Court ruled random drug tests are unreasonable searches. (The Constitution doesn't apply to private industry.) The only times the government can test are job applicants, safety sensitive positions, and reasonable suspicion. I have been working for state government for three years and I have never been tested even when I applied.

horaholic

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I got it. Ask them if you're going to have to PAY for a drug test, as if you're only concerned with coming up with the money (last time I had to take one it was 35 bucks) Or you could lie and say that last job you had, made you pay 50 bucks out of your own pocket, and are wondering if theirs will be cheaper.

Most of the time it comes out of your own pocket. I've had one boss where you paid for the test, but when you come back negative, he reimburses you. I think thats very fair. Plus, if you were talking about smoking, he probably knows, and isnt too concerned with it. The only reason so many companies drug test, is because of their insurance companies make them sometimes. It's usually not even the companies policy. Just insurance companies trying to make more money.

Deep Dish

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
horaholic said:
The only reason so many companies drug test, is because of their insurance companies make them sometimes. It's usually not even the companies policy. Just insurance companies trying to make more money.
They're just trying to save money by saving you. People who do drugs are sick more often, take more sick days off work, are more likely to be hospitalized, and overall their health care is more expensive on average than people who don't do drugs. I'm no saint, I myself a happy stoner and am in relatively very good health for my age, but I do seem to get sicker somewhat more often. So, if random drug testing by employers, regardless of any monetary motivations by the insurance companies, reduces drug use frequency then you benefit from better health and greater society benefits by reducing health care premiums for everyone. It's the silver lining which should be seen. Although people do have the fundamental right to choose what they do to with their lives and their bodies, people make poor decisions and if they are smart they should be thankful when they benefit from preventive measures.

There is a phrase I coined, quoted in The Humanist's signature, cynicism doesn't equate with insight. The point is you should always strive for the deepest explanations; "greed" is a cynical response and I don't think it's the deepest explanation.

horaholic

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
While I wont argue you point, keep in mind that the two biggest health/safety risks (alcohol and cigarettes) hardly ever seem to be disqualifiers for jobs. How many sick days are taken due to hangovers? Also, smokers are often less productive, and I know from experience, as I've been smoke free for over six months now, and I know I get more done than than I used to. So, while your points are absolutely valid, I doubt they are the reason for drug testing. If I owned a company, the only drug use I'd be concerned about is excessive alcoholism, and meth, and you dont need a drug test to spot tweakers and drunks a mile away. I dont trust tweakers as far as I can throw them, and day-drinkers are a huge liability. It depends on the type of work being done, but hell, if they get shyt done fast and right, I dont give a rats ass if they shoot up drano up their ass, as long as they dont do it on the job, or at least I cant TELL that they are.

Also, it is always about money. Like I said, it is almost always the insurance companies that demand pre-employment screening, and all they are concerned about is workmans comp, and liability. This is strange, because if there were a work related accident, and the employee involved failed a drug test (by smoking pot a week earlier, mind you) the insurance company is basically free and clear, because it is always assumed that if drugs were in the system that they were the immediate CAUSE of the accident, which obviously isnt always the case. It is more often than not, a loophole for insurance companies to not pay.

Im surprised health insurance companies arent demanding drug tests these days as well.

alexny111

Banned
Reaction score
In most cases, nothing o worry about in case you don"t demonstrate any strange behaviour or work with heavy equipment (like on warehouse).
I don't think that's even legal to have such list.