Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Is Dune any Good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

typical

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Reading and comparison is obviously not your strong suit. I never said that the movie should have all white actors. I said that Hollywood made it a movie about white people oppressing black people, which has nothing to do with the original source material. I have no idea how you managed to make that leap of logic.

No you're unhappy that I easily refuted your bias.

The story is about the oppression of the Fremen people by the other houses of the Imperium.
The Fremen people are based upon the culture of MENA (Middle East and North African people) I"ll leave you to search up Herberts Writing's on this matter.
The story has a hidden political message of how modern society has treated people of colour, it's just masked behind a brilliant sci-fi setting again you can read Herberts Commentary.

Being able to draw comparison between what has happened to the Fremen culture in Dune and how we have treated people of colour in our society isn't a leap of faith its called cognitive thinking ability which is apparent from your lack of contextual thinking.

So yes having people of colour in the movie and acknowledging the oppression of the Fremens regardless (and having correlation to the oppression of coloured people) of whether you believe is "woke" or not, is infact a step into the direction the Author originally wanted.

And the fact also remains that this new movement of casting people of colour and tackling issues such as racial oppression seems to trigger mostly racist "White Americans" the most .... I wonder why that is.

Bokanovsky

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
So yes having people of colour in the movie and acknowledging the oppression of the Fremens regardless (and having correlation to the oppression of coloured people) of whether you believe is "woke" or not, is infact a step into the direction the Author originally wanted.

And the fact also remains that this new movement of casting people of colour and tackling issues such as racial oppression seems to trigger mostly racist "White Americans" the most .... I wonder why that is.
Sounds like typical liberal B.S. (pun intended)

Raasay

Don Juan
Reaction score
The first books are really good, the older movies are garbage afaik and I heard people saying the new movie is good but I for my part don't care for movies to books as books are always better than the movie.

Lippy

Banned
Reaction score
I didn't like it at all. It was too boring unfortunately.

zekko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I didn't like it at all. It was too boring unfortunately.
It did seem rather slow.
I'm sure the book is better. Books are always better. Except with Forrest Gump.

Zimbabwe

Banned
Reaction score
Having read the novels and seeing the movie, No it is not woke.

The Freman are supposed to be based on Arabs/Persians that's why they use persian words like Padishah to describe the empower. The movie for some reason puts black actors to play Arabs/Persians?

Also the holy war in the novel was called Jihad. I also noticed the movie only covers like half the first novel before Paul declares the Jihad.

Sardaukar are based on Turko-Mongol people but in the movie they are dressed as crusaders for some reason.

corrector

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I have this impression that Dune has a very good reputation as a sci fi novel, but I've never read it. I did watch the original movie and then later I saw the mini-series. I have to say that I found none of it memorable, I couldn't get into it any point. But I have HBO Max and the opportunity to watch the new Dune movie, so I was thinking of giving it another chance. Is Dune actually a good book/movie/franchise, or is it just garbage?
Yeah, same director as Bladerunner 2049. Like Bladerunner 2049 it has shots vast, the picture breathes when its on a large screen and the characters have presence. Its a cinematic experience that you could say is like a Star Wars desert planet and an evil empire lurching around.

Status
Not open for further replies.