Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

How to survive without airconditioner in summer

MindOverMatter

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Kcman
umm , grab some ice , lots of ice , put it in the bath tub , graba couple tables , a tv , mini fridge or whatnot , and just chill out in ur bath tub till the sun goes down ??? , i dunno lol i have central air and its soooo quiet and soooo cold :D
isn't that what the zombie marines in Universal Soldier used to do???

diplomatic_lies

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Do it the Asian way. Get a straw mattress (don't know if its called that, its basically a mattress made of straw/bamboo), they're cooler. Wear less clothes (strip naked if you live alone). Get a fan and circulate the air from the bathroom (the cool part of the house).

If you're still hot, get a huge box of ice ($3 from the supermarket), and put it in front of the fan. That worked really well for me.

al77

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by PRMoon
First off lemmie just say that 110 degrees with no humidity is still VERY hot. If I go out to my car in the afternoon and it's not in a shaded area the handle will be HOT to the touch (not enough to burn you but it's not a pleasent experience) when I get into my car sometimes the steering whee (Black) is so hot to the touch that I have trouble driving.
Well.. not a big difference: here, on a good summer day my steering wheel is too hot to drive unless I put a cover on it.

I think air chiller is a strange concept - it cools the air, yes,
but it inceases humidity to the point when you are totally wet.. it is not the best feeling when it is very hot outside.

What is the optimal use of a fan?
a) put next to a window so it can suck air in the room
b) same as a but to suck teh air out
c) just use the direct air flow, i.e. driect the fan at me.

Any thoughts?

PRMoon

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by al77
Well.. not a big difference: here, on a good summer day my steering wheel is too hot to drive unless I put a cover on it.

I think air chiller is a strange concept - it cools the air, yes,
but it inceases humidity to the point when you are totally wet.. it is not the best feeling when it is very hot outside.

What is the optimal use of a fan?
a) put next to a window so it can suck air in the room
b) same as a but to suck teh air out
c) just use the direct air flow, i.e. driect the fan at me.

Any thoughts?
see you said a good summer day. It's bee 100degrees or more since late May here so every day you can expect to have problems with the heat inside of your car. No matter though i get the point it's hot where you are as well.

Maybe an air chiller isn't the thing for you concidering the humidity level where you are. BTW I originally lived in Maryland on the eastern shore so I know a thing or two about 90% humidity and what thats like as well. Hot muggy days and all, but the dry heat of vegas is just as intolorable.

I just put my fan in the corner and hope for the best really. I mean the whole purpose of it is to keep the air moving around the room. In the afernoons around 4 or 5 when the sun has beat down on my roof quite a bit I have to switch to the AC because by that time the fan is just blowing hot air at me like a blow dryer
but other then those couple of hours I dont' use it much. I NEVER use the fan next to an open window. In fact I never open the window unless it's night time because the air outside is super heated and the air inside is shaded so it's not. I use the ocelator for the fan so the air goes all around the room not just on me.

al77

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by PRMoon
see you said a good summer day. It's bee 100degrees or more since late May here so every day you can expect to have problems with the heat inside of your car. No matter though i get the point it's hot where you are as well.

Maybe an air chiller isn't the thing for you concidering the humidity level where you are. BTW I originally lived in Maryland on the eastern shore so I know a thing or two about 90% humidity and what thats like as well. Hot muggy days and all, but the dry heat of vegas is just as intolorable.

I just put my fan in the corner and hope for the best really. I mean the whole purpose of it is to keep the air moving around the room. In the afernoons around 4 or 5 when the sun has beat down on my roof quite a bit I have to switch to the AC because by that time the fan is just blowing hot air at me like a blow dryer
but other then those couple of hours I dont' use it much. I NEVER use the fan next to an open window. In fact I never open the window unless it's night time because the air outside is super heated and the air inside is shaded so it's not. I use the ocelator for the fan so the air goes all around the room not just on me.
I have never experienced a hot weather without much humidity - I have alwayd lived and travelled only to places with rivers or seas...most of the time I blamed humidity though, not heat.

Anyway, I managed to overdone that. I got a huge, but simple fan, put it directly at me..and almost fall asleep...next day I could not move. The weather is not hot already, but I feel very sick just cuz of the fan. Conclusion: it is working, and working fine....

I am curiosu about AZ: is there any concepts how to deal with heat? I heard a) thick brick walls of the house might help to have cooler air in teh house. b) semibasement with windows is much cooler than just regular rooms upstairs c) north directed part of a house is usually cooller than the south part.
Do people use some other concepts?

Ricky

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I;m living in an apartment without central air for the first and last time.

It sucks.

Only bright side is that Boston probably only has 2 really hot weeks a year.

The weather sucks here, the cost of living blows but I love my job.

al77

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Ricky
I;m living in an apartment without central air for the first and last time.

It sucks.

Only bright side is that Boston probably only has 2 really hot weeks a year.

The weather sucks here, the cost of living blows but I love my job.
Ricky,

In my opinion Boston is one of the best large cities in US... including pickup: people walk there a lot and walk relatively slow...Did you see this as advatange?
Thats why you have to pay more for living there: decent weather,
nice looking city, large city, lots of attractions, people are quite relaxed...Where I am people do walk - you cannot even see them walking, unless it is from a car to a store.

I am not so sure about only 2 hot week.. it is damn humid in Boston in summer. Do you have a fan? It is very effective, I just figured that out, sometimes it is overly effective....