Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

How to stand out...

Do you currently consider yourself chic?

• Brad Pitt takes style tips from me!

Votes: 22 57.9%
  • What does chic mean?

Votes: 16 42.1%

• Total voters

Mr. Mystery

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Alright, we all know its important to take care of yourself and look good to be a successful DJ right?

This is in regard to how you dress, and it is universal to all styles.

I would best explain my style as GQ mag type guy minus the tie. I wear mostly slacks, nice shoes, fitted T-shirts or stretch button ups (with the top two buttons undone). The number one compliment I get is one how well I dress.

The thing that separates me from the other "well dressed" GQ types is that I take risks in what I wear. I know what looks good regardless of what the current trend is, and usually I was wearing the current trend a month or two back.

I used to go to very upscale places on occasion and would be suprised at how well I dressed compared to others there. Now I am even more confident in what I wear, and I push the limit even further and pull it off. I am seemingly ahead of the trends.

About two years ago I dressed kinda thugged out, its from where I grew up and I still got a little bit of hip hop dialect, I take pride in my background and I think it compliments my style very well. But me being white, this gave me the "wigger" stereotype to people that didn't know me. I got interested in fashion, and I was lucky enough to have two friends that were pretty well dressed already so I asked for their help in rebuilding my wardrobe. They gladly helped and I got some of the basics over the period of two months.

The problem with making such a drastic change in style is that you kinda have to do it all at once, you can't be thug one day and GQ the next. So I built up about a weeks rotation of decent clothes over about a two month period of shopping without wearing the new clothing, and then started sporting a new style one day out of the clear blue sky it seemed.

After I had the basics I kept on building the wardrobe and learning as I went and I started gaining confidence in my own style and started getting stuff even my well dressed friends said they wouldn't wear.

I wear pink, and lavender shirts (the ladies LOVE the pink shirts) I like pastel colored shirts and I started wearing multi stripe shirts a few months before they were "cool". I ignored the rules and went with what I considered cool. I started to develop my own style.

I took risks in how I dressed and they have payed off very well. I stand out even among other well dressed men, because I have the balls to wear things that aren't really accepted yet and wear it with confidence.

Women open up conversations with me constantly on how well I dress, I have had one instance however in which a girl said I dressed too well and that a guy shouldn't care too much about what he's wearing, and there are women out there that feel this way but they are outnumbered by the women that get wet at the mere thought of a well dressed man.

Men used to hate on my style. I think it was because at this point in my life I wasn't too secure or confident and people could see that and it appeared that I was trying to get attention with my clothing and not my personality or something of the sorts. Now I hear, "I wish I could pull of wearing pimp sh!t like you can." I asked a few male coworker of mine if they thought I was gay by the way I dressed when they first met me, and to my surprise, they thought I was a ladies man from the get-go. When I asked a few female coworkers the same thing one said she thought at first site that I might be gay because I was so clean cut but after her first convo with me I destroyed that thought (whew!).

I don't think I'm anything special, anyone with a little time can learn how to dress well, but it takes confidence to really make an outfit. Take risks in how you present yourself, no matter what style you dress in, if combined with confidence you will be beating off the women.

Mr. Mystery

Ashlee Angel

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Good post I think once you have good self confidence you don't care what others say.

I am black and I wear abercrombie and fitch. Some people ask me why am I trying to be white. I like the clothes and I am just being me.

Luscious

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
When I need some new additions to my wardrobe, I get together with some of my 'female friends' (either ones that I'm stringing along or those that KNOW we're just friends) and we go shopping.

It's almost frightening how quickly they can pick you out an amazingly good outfit from a store. Plus, bring along at least two chicks so you get a committee effect going...one chick might have crappy taste ;).

Remember to give them a cost limit or else they'll sink your wallet like a lead balloon, though :D

Letting chicks dress you is usually the safest way to go, I've found.

Donjuanpablo

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Good tip Mystery.

When I was in high school, I used to think that fashion was just beyond me and I invariably ended up wearing exactly what other people wore. However, all it took was a bit of effort and a bit of smart intuition to work out exactly what suited me and what was ahead of the trends. The thing is, anybody can do it.

voodoolover

Don Juan
Reaction score
Dress sense is one of the best ways of conveying personality to strangers.

A well-dressed man not only looks great, but feels great too.

It amazes me when people play down the importance of fashion.

Sisko

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Heh i just take my sister...
She has the best thaste in fashion from all people I know :D

Mr. Mystery

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
originally posted by voodoolover

Voodoolover,

Dressing well certainly can make you feel better about yourself and convey a little of you personality, its important not to depend on your looks or fashion sense.

As I said before, I relied too much on my fashion sense and people could see right through me.

One of the biggest DJ's I know dresses like sh!t, and gets tons of girls because, like Ashlee, he doesn't care.

Dressing well can add to the man you are, but it can't make the man.

I ain't there yet, but I hope to be able to have the same level of confidence I have with or without wearing nice clothes. My point is you shouldn't depend on nice clothes to boost your confidence, it should be there regardless.

Mr. Mystery

PENZILLA

Don Juan
Reaction score
The color of your shirt

Dude!

Wearing "PINK" or "LAVANDER" is GAY!!

even "Pastel Colors"

It's either your "stuck in the 80's" or you know what!

==============

sonick182

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yeah, i find myself more fashion conscious now as well... No more baggy jeans, or baggy shirts or baggy anything...

I bought some boot-cut/'relaxed' fit jeans, the 'faded' kind (yes they're still in). Some tighter fitting T's after i've been workin out :D

Im currently trying to get a good price on a casual striped dress shirt... I saw one at gap, looks nice on me, but not on sale... :(

The thing with lookin 'chic' is that you can't pinch your pennies anymore... Stylin' is expensive...

And ohyeah:
"Its not pink, its SALMON" :D

alboh

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
One thing that's popular now here in Montreal are "newsboy" hats. I got one at the Bay for $30 and it makes me stand out in a crowd, since I have the sort of sharp jawline helps me pull a hat like that off.

Anyway I don't have a lot of money for fashion right now but my general rule is dress like the sort of woman you want to attract...in my case it's a bit thriftier, with an emphasis on tailored stuff (long jacket, white and khaki shirts) mixed with standard jeans, and hopefully soon a nice pair of white sneakers.

Mr. Mystery

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Re: The color of your shirt

Originally posted by PENZILLA
Dude!

Wearing "PINK" or "LAVANDER" is GAY!!

even "Pastel Colors"

It's either your "stuck in the 80's" or you know what!

==============
Like I said, its all in how you wear it.

I used to get the gay comments when I first started wearing "salmon" ;) but after awhile the haters started accepting it because the ladies really do love it.

Unfortunately pink on men is starting to blow up, I watched the Grammies and quite a few guys were wearing pink. I don't want to lose my edge, I hope it doesn't go mainstream.

Mr. Mystery

voodoolover

Don Juan
Reaction score
Dressing well can add to the man you are, but it can't make the man.
Mr. Mystery, I agree wholeheartedly.

It seems you've misunderstood my post. Let me elaborate.

Dress sense is one of the best ways of conveying personality to strangers.
For example: he who wears a suit will likely convey the image of a businessman - well educated, intelligent and financially secure. Agreed?

Likewise, a man wearing a t-shirt and jeans gives off a different, more casual set of signals.

And to involve your own personal taste - a man wearing a lavender shirt will no doubt come across as a flamboyant character.

A well-dressed man not only looks great, but feels great too.
Self-explanatory. If you dress well, you feel good.

It's a common belief that a well-dressed man is considered as such as a result of the acceptance and admiration of others.

Dressing well, in my opinion, denotes wearing clothes that you believe you look good in. And if you believe you look good, why wouldn't you feel good about the way you look?

Notice I picked the word "fashion". Had I said "It amazes me when people play down the importance of looking good to others", I'd have left myself open to criticism.

On a personal level: if I like the way I look, I feel great. As a result, I strive to like the way I look one hundred per cent of the time.

My point is you shouldn't depend on nice clothes to boost your confidence, it should be there regardless.
Again, I agree. Although I'm lost as to where you figure I introduced confidence to the equation. For me, "confidence" and "feeling good" are different factors. Personally, I can be confident without the need to feel on top of the world. However, as we all know - it helps.

sonick182:

"Its not pink, its SALMON"
Reminds me of the school ties we used to wear! Each kid was placed into a "house" when they joined the school. There'd be house football, house rugby, house cross country etc. every year.

Anyway, you'd wear a navy blue tie with a coloured diagonal stripe - the colour being that of your house. Being immature adolescents at the time (indeed some of us still are), the kids in the house with the salmon stripe received copious amounts of stick.

The problem was, that stripe was about as far from salmon as George Bush is from a second term in the White House!

Mr. Mystery

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Voodoo,

I had a feeling you understood what I was saying, I just wanted to clear it up so that anyone else reading wouldn't get confused. :)

Mr. Mystery