Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

How often to wrok bodyparts?

mahon83050

Banned
Reaction score
Right now I am going to the gym about 4-5 times a week. I cover 6 body parts and do each one about once a week. Is this sufficient? Should I wait longer or increase it to 2X a week? Thanks

Ricky

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I would base all decisions on data. The data should be, am I lifting more on an exercise or am I doing more reps with a given weight?

As long as you increase the weights you are lifting, and or the number of reps up to a reasonable number like 12, then the frequency for you is correct.

If in doubt, train less frequently. The body is very adaptable to changing and getting stronger as long as it is given adequate rest and nutrition.

I have gotten stronger with even a two week layoff on a particular exercise. I don't believe the body loses strength very quickly if it gets proper rest and nutrition.

Ricky

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Oh and I guess to directly answer the question, I think 2X a week might be a bit much.

If you do want to experiment with that though, you could try a fullbody workout where you work all the body parts in one day.

Do this on a Monday and again on a Friday. In any event it is critical you keep a log. On your days between you could do some cardio, especially if you need to cut down the bodyfat % a bit.

NEWBIE101

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by mahon83050
Right now I am going to the gym about 4-5 times a week. I cover 6 body parts and do each one about once a week. Is this sufficient? Should I wait longer or increase it to 2X a week? Thanks
Each bodypart needs to be trained once per week. You can do abs twice per week though if you would like.

KiLLer

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Re: Re: How often to wrok bodyparts?

Originally posted by NEWBIE101
Each bodypart needs to be trained once per week. You can do abs twice per week though if you would like.
That's not true. There is no scientific fact(s) to back this up.
It all depends on how you live. Meaning how you eat, sleep, and work out.

Abdominal are the same as all muscles, do not mistreat them as a different kind, what makes muscle different from other muscle?

You can work out your body 2-3 times per week (or even day) if you can seriously handle it. This means you must go on perfect diet, sleep, and so on.

NEWBIE101

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Re: Re: Re: How often to wrok bodyparts?

Originally posted by KiLLer
That's not true. There is no scientific fact(s) to back this up.
It all depends on how you live. Meaning how you eat, sleep, and work out.

Abdominal are the same as all muscles, do not mistreat them as a different kind, what makes muscle different from other muscle?

You can work out your body 2-3 times per week (or even day) if you can seriously handle it. This means you must go on perfect diet, sleep, and so on.
But you must also take into consideration that you hit some muscles indirectly while working other muscles such as biceps with back, and triceps with chest and shoulders. It can take up to 5 days for muscles to repair if you are training them intensly enough.

As far as abs go, it's just an opinion of mine. To me, either are right.

KiLLer

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Re: Re: Re: Re: How often to wrok bodyparts?

But you must also take into consideration that you hit some muscles indirectly while working other muscles such as biceps with back, and triceps with chest and shoulders. It can take up to 5 days for muscles to repair if you are training them intensly enough.

As far as abs go, it's just an opinion of mine. To me, either are right.
Ever heard of creatines? Protein powders? Carbohydrate drinks?
These are products or should I say, supplements that help recover muscles. They increase the shortage of time for muscles needed to repair so you can work out in a shorter period of time.
I am assuming you mean one who doesn't take it. In that case, you will work out once or none.

NEWBIE101

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: How often to wrok bodyparts?

Originally posted by KiLLer
Ever heard of creatines? Protein powders? Carbohydrate drinks?
Yes, these products don't help speed up recovery. They just aid your muscles in building and give you energy. I've heard that Glutamine actually can help speed up recovery.

Maybe, with steroids though.

DIESEL

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Unless you are on roids...Once a week is plenty.

Abs and calves could probably handle 2-3x week.

Templeton

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: How often to wrok bodyparts?

Yes, these products don't help speed up recovery. They just aid your muscles in building and give you energy. I've heard that Glutamine actually can help speed up recovery.

Protein and carbs certainly DO help with recovery. A properly mixed post workout drink will do wonders to promote recovery and growth. A mix of protein and carbs is the minimum you should be taking post workout. As a general guideline, try a mix of 2:1 (carbs to protein) Eg, 80 of carbs - half dextrose or glucose and half maltodextrin and 40 grams of whey protein. Adding creatine will certainly help for some - personally I dont get too much out of creatine, 2.5grams of glutamine (half a teaspoon) will certainly help too.

Viroid

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Ok guys, LISTEN UP!

To end all this BS about how many times you can train a bodypart per week:

It dosent matter how many days per week you hit a bodypart. What matters is HOW MANY SETS PER WEEK PER BODYPART!! Shoot for 10-15 sets per bodypart per week. It dosent matter if you do that in 1 day or spread out over 3 days in the week.

Got it?

Ricky

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
And Viroid, even that isn't the authoritative or final answer if you are a die hard HIT'er

But agreed that you definitely don't need to do more than 10-15 in a week.

Progress should be anyones gage. If you go to the gym and bench press 3 times a week but aren't getting any stronger for example, then it is pretty likely you are training too much!

If you continue to gain on 3 times a week benching, then by all means continue!