how important is hair? (appearance)

KillingTime

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
In appearance?
I try to look my best but my hair is just crap, it's extremely puffy and wire-y... it's jet black too which I think makes it look worse (if it were black and really straight it'd be cool, but its so big and the black doesn't reflect light so it just looks even more afro-ish)
If I grow it to a moderate lenght I end up looking like Eric Estrada, not the look im going for.
What I do now is just get the typical "mexican" haircut as I call it, buzzed on the sides and about half an inch on top (every Mexican guy around here has that cut, not sure how it is in other places)
Then I just use elmers glue to try and spike the top a little (regular glue won't hold my hair at all)...it usually ends up looking like ass, the glue makes it look like plastic.. then even if it's spiked the hair is so dark that you can hardly tell, it looks really lame and extremely ghetto but I can't do anything with it.

So how important is hair? I keep everything else up as best as I can but I was cursed with the worst hair possible.

diablo

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
There are plenty of things you can do with your hair, even if you weren't born with "the best". Have you ever been to a professional stylist? I'd recommend setting up a consultation; at any reputable salon it should be free. The stylist will tell you what options you have for your hair, how much longer you should grow it out before they can do something with it, and what products you can use to get rid of the wiry, "fro-ness". Then, they'll try to schedule an appointment for you within that time frame, so they can charge $50 for a haircut. Whether you want to proceed with the cut after using the products they recommend (which you can buy on eBay or somewhere other than the salon) is your call. Give it a shot sometime this week and let us know how it turns out.

Julian

Banned
Reaction score
I used to be the same way, 1 inch on top and buzzed on the sides... (half mexican hah).

Anyway i started growing it out longer... close to 2 inches on the top, maybe an inch on sides an back... I have naturally more coarse type of hair so maybe out hairtype is similar.

Heres what worked for me...

I grew my hair out like 3 inches on top, inch or so on the sides an back. I went to the salon and had them "texturize" it... (ask them to do this).

Depending on the type of hairstyle you want texturizing makes it more manageable and better looking... in my case i was going for a crazy spikey tyler durden type style. So she cleaned it up a bit and texturized and i was good to go.

I also use american crew forming cream which absolutely roxors my soxors.

If you are like my friend (whos full mexican) then you may have some problems. He has VERY curly hair and usually sports a ceasar type cut when its longer. Works for him.

KillingTime

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Ive been to the salon, but the upkeep is crazy expensive since I have to get their haircuts, then get it straightened (its not really curly, just like cotton candy lol), then get it dyed, then highlights.... after all that it looks awesome but I'm left broke.

The Tyler Durden look is what I like too but without all the salon upkeep I don't see it happening. Ive also thought about dying it to a lighter shade on my own, i can't really go blonde b/c it would look really out of whack but maybe a reddish brown... ive seen some dudes with messy hair but it was really light, didn't look too bad. Mine is so dark and coarse, add in the poofyness and it just looks dirty, I figure if it were lighter it would at least show some texture.

We'll see what happens, gonna go look around for the dye. If not, back to the Mexican cut... lol my little sister goes to a mostly hispanic school, she had this party and like 30 dudes showed up, we all had that EXACT same haircut, guess its what works.