Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

How can I answer this question?

GlutusMaximus86

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I don't like to ask this but I can't seem to get hold of my Literature professor. Anyway we have a journal assignment in which we have to answer this question "How do Thomas Jefferson and Benjamin Franklin exemplify the Age of Reason in structure, tone, subject and style?" For the journal my professor says I will probably need 3-4 typed pages (though it can be more or less, I just simply have to do a good job). I've worked on this journal for several hours and have not gotten anywhere. I'm working on doing some research, but right now I still just don't fully understand how I should approach this question and am not even 100% sure what she means by this question.

Anyway my question is does anybody have any ideas as to how I should approach this question and also maybe give me an explaniation of what my professor might mean exactly by this question?

Thanks for your help.

earthshyne

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
TJ and BF are not exemplifiers of the Age of Reason. They existed in a world of slavery, supported by force of the state.

Use that as your thesis.

If you want to argue about someone who exemplified the Age of Reason, read Voltaire instead.

Dapper Swindler

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Okay, I think I can help.

First, is there some kind of reading material that comes with this? If so, find out what it's called. Then search google for some kind of summary or commentary on it that better explains it and gives you the key points. Maybe sparknotes.com has something.

Now look up information on the "Age of Reason" so you know exactly what that is. Try wikipedia for a quick summary. Try to find specific characteristics.

Next go to dictionary.com and look up the words "structure", "tone", "subject", and "sytle" so you know EXACTLY what they mean. Sometimes people throw around words like that without knowing what they really mean but once you know exactly what they mean you can know exactly what you're looking for.

Now start an outline that looks like this.

I. Age of Reason
a. characteristics
1. 2. 3. etc.
II. Thomas Jefferson
a. structure
b. tone
c. subject
d. style
III. Benjamin Franklin
a. structure
b. tone
c. subject
d. style

Now go through the material and find examples in it of TJ and BF using structure, tone, subject, and style of the Age of Reason. It will be easier now because you know exactly what you're looking for. Underline each sentence that is a clear example. Type that sentence in the outline in the appropriate part. You may even be able to cite it, that's bonus points.

The idea is to break down papers like this into logical steps that are easy so you won't be overwhelmed by the vagueness of the question.

Levex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Plug this in somewhere:

Franklin was not explicitly an atheist, but he did speak against the church. It was him who made "God helps those who help themselves" famous.

DrMetallica

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
B Franklin liked to sit on his porch naked to "air out the body", while he talked to everyone who walked by him in a friendly tone.

He was a social proof GOD.

GlutusMaximus86

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Shocked by my professors reponse.

Well my professor finally did get back to me (I asked her essentially the same question I asked you guys), but her response to my question wasn't exactly very good:

In class we discussed the highpoints of the Enlightenment era. For your
journal you are to discuss how Franklin and Jefferson exemplify the
Enlightenment. Be sure that you cover the tone of their work, the structure
of their work, and their content.
She must just be really busy, I suppose, and didn't have time to really answer my question. Oh well, thanks for your help guys I really do appreciate it (expecially Dapper Swindler).