Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Hit a two plate bench today

DEEZEDBRAH

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Seemed like I was stuck at 200 for months.
I'm a beginner with about 1 year of proper training and nutrition.

Today was a rest day, I just went to the gym to stretch.

Warm up sets became working sets and I felt strong.

Things rarely go as planned. The other times I planned to hit a PR failed.

Supplements I used before the bench: beta alanine, creatine monohydrate, citrulline malate, caffeine, multivitamin, probiotic, fish oil.

Pre-workout meal: Rice and chicken+ protein shake

This is by no means anything to brag about but for a guy 300+ lbs over two years back in a huge 500 calorie deficit since, I gained strength and mass while losing over 100 lbs in fat.

Feel free to comment if you have any questions.

Current stats: 6'2 + 200 lbs + 17% body fat
Dark mate, congrats. Now stack on the W.

I'm no scientist or sports pro athlete. I found if I switch up my routines, I break past plateaus. For instance, 5x5 3×8-12 is the range I play in. I was aiming for a 4 plate squat BUT I started noticing soreness and stiff knees. I pulled back. It's simply not ideal nor functional. 5x5 was my route there.

See what you respond to and get there. Keep it up brother.

EyeBRollin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

I'm no scientist or sports pro athlete. I found if I switch up my routines, I break past plateaus. For instance, 5x5 3×8-12 is the range I play in. I was aiming for a 4 plate squat BUT I started noticing soreness and stiff knees. I pulled back. It's simply not ideal nor functional. 5x5 was my route there.

That’s too many reps for strength gains. All high rep does is make you sore and swole. Stick to the 1-3 range. The Myofibril hypertrophy is denser muscle tissue. It is more functional and more aesthetic.

darksprezzatura

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

That’s too many reps for strength gains. All high rep does is make you sore and swole. Stick to the 1-3 range. The Myofibril hypertrophy is denser muscle tissue. It is more functional and more aesthetic.
5x5 and 3x8-12 are both great routines.

1-3 specifically is too taxing for my CNS.

I'd say it's a great idea to do a 5x5 split twice a week and 3x-12 thrice a week along with two rest days for strength and hypertrophy gains.

EyeBRollin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

I'd say it's a great idea to do a 5x5 split twice a week and 3x-12 thrice a week along with two rest days for strength and hypertrophy gains.
5X5 is too much volume to build strength especially once graduated out of the novice phase. Also, there is no need to train strength & hypertrophy separately, as strength = hypertrophy (however hypertrophy =/= strength).

DEEZEDBRAH

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

Power lifting 1-3 reps 6 sets is effective BUT stupid high risk for serious injury.

I came through learning to bench from a old school power lifter. Tiny dude but decades of training. very successful business and in competitive power lifting. Sadly, I saw him in a sports car walking with a cane after a catastrophic injury. It's pretty much game over at this stage of the game BUT he lived a good life. He's made a ton of money and has a beautiful stunner of a wife plus a ton of sports cars. life is good. I agree with you and I don't recommend power lifting. I found 5x5 is dangerous enough if doing it right. No injury if form and techniques on point. No anatomical imbalance or injury.

Keep it up man. The lock down has been trash. I lost count on gym routines since the beginning of the pandemic.