Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Help me out of a rut

Dapper Swindler

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I think I have a serious problem now. I can't seem to do any work at all. My job right now consists of sitting in a computer lab every night for six hours where I do nothing but surf the net. I don't keep up with the smallest assignments that my two classes are giving me. Tonight I was trying to work on a character development assignment for a screenwriting class, which should be fun, but I just couldn't move my fingers on the keyboard. It's awful because I need to be creating a resume and finding a job but I can't do that either. I haven't done an ounce of work in weeks. I can't concentrate on anything.

I think I need to take a moment to stop punishing myself and try to figure out what the problem is psychologically. Maybe it's that there is no specific goal in mind. I'm a college graduate now. Before, it was always go to class and get through school. Not that I made it my top priority; it was just the thing I was doing and it allowed me to do other things on the side. I guess it's what people call "structure". Now that I've finished that, there is no plan for the future. You might say that I need to figure out a plan and make that my goal, but somehow that isn't clicking. What can I do to overcome procrastination and laziness? I hate doing nothing but I think it feels like nothing has any point anymore because there is will be no definitive outcome to it.

Also, so I don't have to come up with a second thread. Do you guys have any advice when it comes to job hunting? Is it appropriate to send my resume to places first instead of trying to find employment opportunities businesses are offering?

Centaurion

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I hear you man. I also have problems with getting work done. I dont have any advice though :(

But regarding job-hunting. I just recently attended this huge Work-fair, where alot of the top headhunter agencies held lectures about how to get a job. And one investor Arthur Buchardt, said something that was worth noting. He said like,

'Don't read/look for job-ads/openings. Just pick out 10 of the most interesting organisations or companies you find, and then go knocking on doors.'

Alpine

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
That's not bad advice. I don't think he literally means knocking on doors though.

Make a call and get the name of the person who would be running the department you'd be in. Then call back another day and talk to them.

Of course you'd better have something worth saying. This takes you to the top of the queue. Avoid HR at all costs, your resume will just end up in a filing cabinet.

You would do well to start reading self improvement books. If you have one on the go all the time, your mind is always focused on making personal progress and your life takes on a degree of momentum.

CLOONEY

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You never do excersise huh?

Get your azz into a gym and start getting that blood flowing again! Push yourself and let your body realize it is alive once again! Endorphines will be released and you will have no problems at all! Excersise is truly the best thing for you in life, try it some time! Now go and sign upto your local gym!

Finlay

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by CLOONEY
You never do excersise huh?

Excersise is truly the best thing for you in life, try it some time! Now go and sign upto your local gym!
Maybe,but gym sessions are boring as hell, thats the best way to make somebody who cant get anything done, get even more de-motivated,it is at this point he realise he isnt as fit as he could be and will give up instantly.

Personally, i reckon you should remember the last time you enjoyed anything, what was it you enjoyed about it, why, was there anything significant about that particular time?

It is the significant part that needs concentrating on, if you can find what that is you half way there.

Centaurion

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Alpine
That's not bad advice. I don't think he literally means knocking on doors though.
no **** sherlock :rolleyes:

Desdinova

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I've been very much in the same situation. My job doesn't stimulate me anymore. Last week I got my 5hit together and created a resume. There's lots of websites out there that will help you build a professional looking resume and get you prepared for a job interview.

I've actually got an interview today. The stuff that you learn on this site also helps out in this area of your life. You need to remain positive, goal oriented and know yourself well.

You'll never get out of your rut if you don't do some work getting out of it.

Alpine

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Centaurion
no **** sherlock :rolleyes:
Well it may seem obvious to you, even though you're Australian.

But I've had people coming round booted an suited with a CV before and some people think it's taking the initiative.

Finlay

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Desdinova
Last week I got my 5hit together and created a resume.

You'll never get out of your rut if you don't do some work getting out of it.
Thats a good idea, i mean you dont have want to get a new job, but writing a resume/ CV can pick you up.

Write down every job youve ever had, but particularly write a lot about your hjobbies, every hobby you ever had or any interest you ever had-

this will make you remember what your interests are and whats missing which may spark something which you can reignite and start enjoying again.

dont leave anything out.