Help! Being a mature man in a NEW Town

negativefcf

Banned
Reaction score
Hi,

I am about 25 years of age, and I recently relocated due to a job to a new town. It's pretty big, but I have no friends here (locally). I was wondering how do I get my social life in order? Meeting people (guys and gals).

Thanks.

P.S. I don't go to church and my neighbors are in the late 30s. Moreover, my coworkers are also in their late 30s, ie. family and no social life.

libre

Don Juan
Reaction score
Sports clubs

Are there sports club that you might join? I played volleyball with the city activities when I moved in the city. I had lots of fun and met people.

I don't know about where you live. Here there are city activites of all kind which you can join and which are not expensive : learn spanish, play volleyball, ...

Ricky

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Same boat here.

I wish I could join a sports club. My schedule during the week is kind of unpredictable around here.

BigDawg

Don Juan
Reaction score
I got into scuba diving to expand my social circle. Of course, I was here for almost a year when I signed up. Now, I do a lot of activities with the local scuba club both in and out of the water.

If it's a big enough town, there should be publications available about things going on. There's always some salsa or ballroom dancing class starting up. A buddy of mine, who lives out west, was in a similar predicament to you. He had already learned how to ballroom dance and he's out just about every weekend cutting a rug.

So, besides outdoor activities and dancing, there's also cooking classes, wine tasting classes, etc. Those are opportunities to meet people.

As for the difference in your age compared to your neighbors or your co-workers, that's not necessarily a big deal. In my previous location, one of my good friends was about 10 years older than me (and his wife was about 10 years younger than me :) ). We were neighbors and we hung out all the time.

So, if there are things that you don't normally do, you might take this opportunity to try a lot of new things.

Give me a good reason for not starting something new.

al77

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If you are not lazy enough...dance classs would give you lots of advantage in terms of meeting women socially plus you can dance with some of them somewhere else later...

Depends what you like of course.

How about somthing simple:
a photography class, painting\drawing class?
If you want to imporve your presentations and meet tons of outgoing guys try toastmasters.org.

Aztec

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by negativefcf

P.S. I don't go to church and my neighbors are in the late 30s. Moreover, my coworkers are also in their late 30s, ie. family and no social life.

Take it from me, do not let that hinder you from your goals.

Too many excuses can float in your head. Go find classes as suggested. Then work on it one day at a time.

Metalixia

Don Juan
Reaction score
Hey man, I moved to a new town a few months back and met loads of new friends from my college course and from work. i also joined a new judo club!

good luck!

markrt69

Don Juan
Reaction score
Depends on what you want.

The internet can be a huge help. You can look up local events, join dating sites ( you'll have to sift the flakes, but it can be worth it) There are even sites where you can meet up with local women that just want sex. If you can think of it, its there. The kewl thing about the net, is you can meet people and they can only have the info about yourself you want them to have.
I have tried chatrrooms like yahoo chat. It is a hell of a goodway to meet locals. Get on there go by location pick your state, and the type in anyone from ( your town) and you would be surprised at the people ( and sometimes fine women) that will answer. I know because it has worked for me time after time.

If all else fails, go to the grocery store. Go down the juice Isle. The first nice looking woman without a ring on, ask her if she has ever had D@cken's Cider. Then wait for her reaction...ok ok, don't do that!

bobbob

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
adult rec classes!! go get a catolog from your local community college. yoga is all girls and gay guys (so there's a decent chance someone will boost your ego).

Ricky

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Just dont stay home is the best advice I've read.

As I read it I'm home.

I have been way too lazy to go out not sure why.

Mental block about the new town i guess.

ChenCristos

Don Juan
Reaction score
get out there and network. Volunteer ( cause you want to) , JOin Clubs, be a regular at a nightclub, get to know everyone even UB's cause they have connections to. You can even find a wing off this site in the wingman forum and from there you and your wing can pick up mad *****es

chili kat

Don Juan
Reaction score
Check out www.craigslist.org

There is a community section for lots of metropolis areas in the world. Lots of people there just looking to hook up and get out on the town, including newbies to the area like yourself.

Through that site within a few weeks I was playing b-ball, hitting bars, playing poker, ect.

Ricky

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
My new goal is to own this town. To know more about it then by coworkers.

Damn there are now at least 2 women that I'd be willing to try dating at work, but we all know it's a ****ing bad idea.

By the end I will have made some of the worst mistakes in dating

1) Married woman (when I was an total AFC several years ago)

2) Long distance relationships (**** I've done 2 or 3 in my time)

3) Co-workers (only did this once and it was a married one, that was a double whammy thing, I ended up quitting the job to avoid that psychoo *****!)

penkitten

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
get online and scout out the town and the town next to it for things to do .

theres gotta be something