Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Hall of Mirrors

Matt Rogers

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hi, this is a really silly question and completely narcissic so don't say I didn't warn you. But I get really insecure about how I look.

In photos I generally look pretty good. Sometimes when I look in a particular mirror I think "damn looking good" and then later on in the day when I look in another mirror I think I look ugly as sin. I also think I look different in every mirror I look in. Is looking in a mirror a true reflection of how you look, or is it distorted in some way such that as I find, you look good in some mirrors and less good in others? Also as a mirror is 2D while people see you in 3D does this distort how you look?

Another thing I find is that in my opinion my looks fluctuate wildly, while to me other people look much the same from day to day unless they make a special effort.

What is the best way to get an accurate reflection of what I truly look like? Are photos more accurate than mirrors, or is it best to use something like a video camera.

I know I shouldn't care about how I look and should just DJ anyway, but it is kinda hard when you look in the mirror and cannot even stand looking at your reflection sometimes.

CapiCrimini

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hahah... thats truly funny cause at this moment I have a book sitting on my compute dedicated to mirrors... big book to...

history, psycology, and art of mirrors, bunch of other things to.

No mirrors are not true reflections... unless you go see the true refelction mirror in Manhatten i think...

Anyway instead of telling you the simple answer[all mirrors are different depending on how they were made, what they are made of, and there quality]

i'll give you this book and it will answer all your questions plus some...

Mirror Mirror: A history of the Human Love Affair with reflection
by,.. Mark Pendergrast

Matt Rogers

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Cool, I will buy the book, but before it arrives if anyone else wants to answer my questions, please do, it would really help.

CapiCrimini

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
check your library... It's free there.
Thats where I found mine...

But it does deal with the different types of mirrors the science behind them and everything.

Also the lighting and your posture might be what your really seeing..

Like I don't look as good from the direct side... and if I get the wrong angel my face looks messed up even though its not[like my jaw is an extra inch the wrong way]

Pisses me off... But you just gotta keep in mind you don't look like that really.

Don Ronny

Banned
Reaction score
A mirror is actually an inversed image of yourself. If you really want to get a gander at how you look, then use 3 mirrors, angling them until you see the reflection of your reflection. They need to be decent mirrors too, (not the ones you buy at the 99 cent store)

The first time I did this I was disturbed, because I was so used to seeing myself "inverted" and never realized how asymmetrical my face is.

Of course, these days I could give 2 sh!ts how I look. I know I am one sexy bastard!

Alen-Delon

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
dude i glad you brought that shyt up, cause i ve noticed that shyt too. i mean if you really want the real image of yourself look into crystal blue water and you shall see. even miror makes your body look better then it really is. but if you reall want true image of your self then a photograph is the best. proffesional one though ....

Dirtheart

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You might want to check this link:

http://www.asc.upenn.edu/courses/comm240/spring2000/lrosenberg/BDD.htm

I've had experiences with this myself, but when it comes down to basics, you can never know how you look to other people because everybody's perception is different. So even if you are satisfied with who you see in the mirror, someone else will see you totally differently.

I guess there are "standards" that define what is widely deemed attractive, but even someone with the perfect body, complexion, hair, teeth etc is not necessarily attractive to everyone.

Matt Rogers

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
So photographs are more accurate than mirrors? As I look good in photos but in some mirrors I look absolutely hideous. It is heartening to hear this might just be due to some weird combination of angles.

Another thing that interests me is the effect of subjectivity on how you think you look-or imaginary ugliness. For example I read somewhere that Ashley Olsen thinks she is ugly and her sister is hot. I mean wtf that girl is fine! I was reading a psychological study that says that most people tend to underrate how good they look (obviously with some exceptions). Plus my brother thinks he is ugly, when in reality he is good looking (took him out to a club for the first time and he was getting more attention that I was!!)

chimps_rule

Don Juan
Reaction score
depends on lighting and mirror, some mirrors refelct u wider or narrower, and have bends and waht not that distorts some parts cos its not made to exact scienctific measurements etc. skinny mirrors do exist!

in general u cant say whether photos or mirrors make u look better.

but being photogenic tells u whether u look good in a photo, largish features that are picked up well by a camera. "the camera loves you..etc". thats why most models have large lips, eyes and large cheekbones. see them in real life and those features would look freakish and abnormally sized.

AMF

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Let me tell you, I've thought about this ALOT.

And my opinion is that it all depends on LIGHTING.

Look at this scale I just invented (Im bored at work right now):

Lighting that make you look VERY BAD: Halogen/spot lighting directly above you. Shows & enhances all imperfections UNNATURALLY. (Damn modern bars just love this sh*t dont they?)

Lighting that makes you look just BAD:

1) Any white/bright lighting DIRECTLY ABOVE your face. Shows all imperfections.

2) Bright/white light "in your face", from the front; or from behind you, reflected in the mirror (god i sound like a total fag here!)

Lighting that is a "testing" fair representation: DIRECT sunlight. Will show tiredness, spots, flaws etc harshly.

Lighting that is a fair representation: Daylight.

Lighting that is a "kinder" fair representation: Overcast/dusk/dim daylight.

Lighting that is flattering:

1) Any light coming from the SIDE rather than above, producing slight shadow. Even slight shadow hides asymmetry and imperfections.

2) Warm or yellow light.

3) Dim lighting/darkness!

In general, a video camera gives the only accurate impression of how you look, too. I know people (cough cough) that have used one wired through a TV to check how they look!

Losers

:D

Dirtheart

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
AMF makes an excellent point! This is why models and actors have to wear make up and have special lighting.

Sometimes light casts shadows over the face too, which makes you look different. This is especially the case with photos where you only get to see a single frame of yourself, but mirrors can have the same effect too depending on their position.

I think I look good in my hallway mirror because the lighting is quite dim and evenly spread. But when I look in a mirror directly in front of a window, I look ghastly. The light from the window shows up all the creases and flaws in my complexion and I always look pale and old in that mirror.

Actually, I must admit, since I've become aware of the effect of lighting, whenever I go out, I always try to sit in the most flattering light or facing away from a window.

Reaction score
fvck mirrors

The mirrors in my gym make me look good. When I look in a mirror that's in direct sunlight I seem rather palid looking. Every god damn mirror gives me a different result! What I've found that helps, if you really wanna judge how you look, is too set up a handycam in your home and film your self. Much more realistic interpretation then ANY mirror.

Interesting subject you bought up though, something original.

AMF

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Dirtheart,

Im so glad you mentioned the "mirror in front of a window"!

I have to say, once or twice when I was paler (before tanning) and I had worse skin, I actually cancelled a night out after catching this view. Seriously, what insecurity.

I too gravitate towards the "nicely lit" mirrors, although you cant completely trick yourself this is 100% accurate. What Ive found in general, is that when Im REALLY tanned, I will look good in ANY light. Infact, even by "rubbing" my cheeks to make them red (give me a break will you:D) improves my look DRAMATICALLY. Ridiculous, I know.

My worst flaw is constant under-eye circles. Again, only when Im tanned do they not look TERRIBLE. I often feel I dont even look healthy... a bit like Mr Black from "Captain Scarlett"... so i am what my friends call a "tanorexic"...:D

Hope this all hasnt become too horribly vain and insecure! :D

CLOONEY

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
AMF, lol, hilarious!!

As for the question, yes lighting, makeup angles, length and width of the mirror (screen for filming purposes), will all effect your imagine. Who cares, chicks like you or they dont!

Someone also mentioned about a lot of models, how they have really strong stand out features, making them very photogenic. These are usually the European models and yes in real life they are fukcin horrible!

CLOONEY

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
oh and I agree with AMF, tans can have a dramatic effect on your appearance. I have seen Brad Pitt without a Tan, man, looks totally different and nothing at all! U dont see him like this cause he is always done up for movies, oh and not to mention in real life, he has aweful scarring on one of his cheeks from his acne days!

diplomatic_lies

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Well if you are doing this for professional purposes (ie. you're a model, or you need to look good for your job), I recommend a video camera, on recording. Act like you normally would (ie. shake hands imaginarily, smile, make your speech, bla bla), then review the video.

Works perfectly.