Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Gold and Silver

zekko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I was wondering what some here thought about gold and silver as an investment. Lately I've been thinking about buying some. Not really because I think it is a good investment, just more of a whim really, I think it would be kind of cool to own some. And it would be a nice sort of thing to pass on to someone.

The drawbacks I see is where do you store it so it doesn't get stolen? Also, how easy is it to sell if you want to liquidate it quickly? And where would be the best place to sell it?

I almost bought some metals stock some years ago, just for diversification. I think that's the real value in metals, diversification, although some people think they are a good hedge against inflation. I'm not so sure about that.

speed dawg

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Track record isn't too good, from what I've seen. If you take out the peaks and valleys, it seems to just hold its value.

ChristopherColumbus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I was wondering what some here thought about gold and silver as an investment. Lately I've been thinking about buying some. Not really because I think it is a good investment, just more of a whim really, I think it would be kind of cool to own some. And it would be a nice sort of thing to pass on to someone.

The drawbacks I see is where do you store it so it doesn't get stolen? Also, how easy is it to sell if you want to liquidate it quickly? And where would be the best place to sell it?

I almost bought some metals stock some years ago, just for diversification. I think that's the real value in metals, diversification, although some people think they are a good hedge against inflation. I'm not so sure about that.
A timely thread. Check out Goldmoney.com if you want to buy gold. I think the gold bull market is waking up again.... wouldn't take much for it to explode upward to new all time highs:

wifehunter

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
where can haz Gold ETFs?

I'm interested!:)

Dingo

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I try to buy a few ounces of silver American Eagles per week... Up or down...basically dollar cost averaging into the market.

I buy them partly as an investment but also I can give them as gifts and also for the SHTF scenario.

zekko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I try to buy a few ounces of silver American Eagles per week... Up or down...basically dollar cost averaging into the market.
Hey, finally someone who actually buys some metal! If you don't mind answering some questions:
Where do you buy at? Have you ever tried to sell any of it? Where would you sell it?
Is it a hassle finding a secure place to keep it?

Dingo

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hey, finally someone who actually buys some metal! If you don't mind answering some questions:
Where do you buy at? Have you ever tried to sell any of it? Where would you sell it?
Is it a hassle finding a secure place to keep it?
I got two coin stores I use regularly. They give me a break on price since I'm a repeat customer. I dollar cost average so I'm not too concerned about a nickel or dime more or less here or there.... Works the same if I was selling.

I haven't sold in a while. The last silver I sold was a 100 ounce brick years ago when prices where crazy high. Sold it at a coin shop.

Not a hassle to store. Those 20 coin tubes or 10 ounce bars don't take much space. My place is plenty secure.

I'm buying more and more as a SHTF hedge. Silver eagles are the perfect amount for barter. And they are a very beautiful coin that makes for a cool gift or tip for people.
2016ASE.jpg

zekko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Silver eagles are the perfect amount for barter. And they are a very beautiful coin that makes for a cool gift or tip for people.
Those would make for an interesting tip to give someone. The only thing I would be afraid of is, a waitress or whoever may not know what they are. I believe those say "One Dollar" on the reverse side. She might think they are worth one dollar and spend it, and not to mention think you are a cheapskate for leaving her a dollar tip lol.

Von

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I am looking for Copper investments.

Where can I buy copper ?

graphite and lithium too

Machine10033

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Dingo I have been buying and selling since 2006. I get most of my stuff from Apmex. I am doing the same thing as Dingo.. preparing for a shtf situation... not saying it will happen but doesn't hurt to be prepared. I buy the American silver eagles and the Canadian maple leaf silver coins. I also buy gold. Selling is pretty straight forward it's usually spot price at a coin shop. I have a ton of coins that have numismatic value and that's where you need to watch. Coin dealers love to try and trick people into selling those coins at spot price. I had a Morgan silver dollar cc that was valued at 1300 and the one dealer argued it was only worth spot price. 10 minutes later at another dealer I was selling it for 1300. Like anything do your research and realize there are scammers out there. My expensive stuff is in safe deposit boxes and other stuff I keep in my super heavy fire and water resistant gun safes

zekko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Selling is pretty straight forward it's usually spot price at a coin shop.
You're fortunate if you can sell gold or silver at spot. That requires the buyer to be counting on it to increase in value. This is something that I'm looking into before I decide whether or not to start buying. Coins that have numismatic value are obviously a different thing.

synergy1

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I am planning on buying some physical gold, but i don't treat it as an investment. An investment in my subjective point of view is something that returns value. Much in the same way of owning a currency doesn't provide me a real return, gold is a hedge against hyperinflation as it can be used as an exchange of value. (durable, easily stored, etc).

I think if the economy (US or global) has a real crisis of confidence, it'll be nice to be on the other side of that. The amount of debt in our system is astronomical - Trillions. If it doesn't get paid off, the deleveraging cycle will render all assets whose value increases due to debt to go down. That said, I also still like real assets and wouldn't care how they perform on a dollar basis. I love how people base their opinion of bitcoin ( as an example) off the value of dollars it can be exchanged for which to me is rather ironic because their stand on fiat currency is that its intrinsically susceptible to rapid devaluation. So why peg something elses value on something you don't trust?

AAAgent

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You're fortunate if you can sell gold or silver at spot. That requires the buyer to be counting on it to increase in value. This is something that I'm looking into before I decide whether or not to start buying. Coins that have numismatic value are obviously a different thing.
I don't think it's that hard to sell precious metals at spot. I sold 500 oz of silver at spot price on the same day. It was a mix of silver eagles, maple leafs, 10oz bars, and britannians (these were slightly above spot). I've visited a handful of precious metals stores that buy, jewelry stores that sometimes buy, and even gem stone stores that buy. The silver to gold ratio has historically been 15 to 20:1 and is now roughly 65-75:1. Silver is probably the better bet. I'm all out of metals for crypto except for a few silver eagles I keep as collectors items. Sound money is definitely the way to go, I just happen to believe to will end up being crypto as opposed to gold and silver.

I try not to go to the shady looking stores. Most stores find it interesting that someone as young as I am is so gung ho about precious metals. I've also invested heavily into gold miners and leveraged gold mining funds. After a while, you learn it's all manipulated and it gets tiring.

greatsnake

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
both just hold their value.
Stock investors usually switch to gold and silver when Wall St. is volatile or when there are signs of a Bear market.

ChristopherColumbus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I am planning on buying some physical gold, but i don't treat it as an investment. An investment in my subjective point of view is something that returns value. Much in the same way of owning a currency doesn't provide me a real return, gold is a hedge against hyperinflation as it can be used as an exchange of value. (durable, easily stored, etc).

I think if the economy (US or global) has a real crisis of confidence, it'll be nice to be on the other side of that. The amount of debt in our system is astronomical - Trillions. If it doesn't get paid off, the deleveraging cycle will render all assets whose value increases due to debt to go down. That said, I also still like real assets and wouldn't care how they perform on a dollar basis. I love how people base their opinion of bitcoin ( as an example) off the value of dollars it can be exchanged for which to me is rather ironic because their stand on fiat currency is that its intrinsically susceptible to rapid devaluation. So why peg something elses value on something you don't trust?
We could be looking at a 'hyper-deflation'. In a deleveraging cycle, the US dollar [reserve currency] could become a lot stronger [crucifying the American economy... further] with other alternative 'store of value' currencies, such as Bitcoin and gold, becoming even more expensive when priced in the US dollar. There is a liquidity triangle on line somewhere which portrays it well. As you say, value will quickly erode from assets downward into the most liquid valuable currencies. Hyper-inflationists got it wrong in not acknowledging that 'fiat', far from based on nothing, is based on debt.