Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Getting over clumsiness

radix

Don Juan
Reaction score
Ok guys maybe you can help me with this problem I'm having. I'll make it a bit juicy so you'll have something to laugh :)

Basically, my problem is I'm clumsy.

For example. I'm cooking a meal, doing 3 things at a time right... rice boiling, veggies boiling, some meat too. Then I taste some of the rice to see if it's allright, ofcourse the pan is hot so I use something to cover my fingers. The rice is almost overdone so I think damn, have to drain that water soon. So without thinking I grab the pan again, OUCH!! this time without covering my hands. Then I start draining, and while doing this I almost drop the pan too. Then I figure out that the meat is going quite hard and I have to turn it before it burns, so I put down the rice, turn the meat and ofcourse make a nice stain on my shirt from grease that goes all over the place. Anyway, it all works out and moments later I'm putting my nice home cooked meal onto my plate. Ofcourse after I sit down to eat I have to walk back to the kitchen 3 times because I forgot the sauce.. then the cutlery.. and finally my food which I brought back into the kitchen when I went to get the cutlery.

Another example. Some weeks ago I was fixing my sink. I took out some of the plumbing and at some point found out I needed to go to the store to get some extra parts. Since I was planning to do this later, I thought I'd first clean up some of the mess I made - so I put some water in a bucket and cleaned. And then - genius that I am - I proceeded to throw away the water. In the sink. Which had no plumbing. SPLASH. Ofcourse, there were people watching. So, I smack myself in the head and laugh with them, and use a cloth to get the water back into the bucket. Which I then empty... into the sink. I'm not kidding.

Man, and this stuff just happens -all- the time. I've thought about it a lot and I think somehow I have trouble figuring out what the consequences of my actions will be. I will easily drill a hole in something that's laying on my floor and not think about the fact that this will put a hole in my floor too until after I've made a couple of nice holes in my used-to-be pretty wooden floor. Ofcourse after realizing that I have trouble with these cause-effect chains I started to pay attention to them, and the strange thing is it doesn't help! Even if I try to think over all the consequences, I always miss an obvious one - usually the most destructive. I still do the weirdest things that leave everyone laughing.

As a bit of background info, I always used to be the shy introverted type but since a few years I've grown tired of it (the stories I could tell about how I related to girls.. would make you cry with laughter, and they make me cringe now that I know better) and I've read lots of books and online material about gaining confidence, getting over shyness etc. I've actually gotten infinitely better to the point where I can walk with my head high and my shoulders held broad, I can talk to strangers and look people in the eyes (the effects this has on people are amazing), and even smile, so I felt really good about myself for a while there. Right now however I keep running into situations that make me realize I'm not there yet - there's a couple of things that I will definitely need to fix, and my clumsiness is a big one. It totally messes with your self esteem if people are laughing at you all the time. I'd laugh with them if it were an occasional thing, but this is just not funny.

So all you DJs out there, if you have any tips for me on how to get over this I'd love to hear them. Thanks guys!! :)

gav

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
lmao at the sink thing

never label yourself as clumsy?
what references do you have that you use to identify yourself as a clumsy person?

the same number as everyone else probably. i make stupid clumsy mistakes all the time, BUT i don't look into it. i don't think "ffs, i make clumsy mistakes all the time therefore i'm clumsy". stop it! those are just a few accidents.

imagine if i did this:

3 days in a row i forget to take my wallet when i go out.
I could think: "it's nothing, everyone makes mistakes" and then get on with my life

or i could think "holy moly, i've forgotten my wallet TWICE now. That's it, i'm a forgetful person with bad memory.

as long as you aren't making intentional mistakes, you're fine

Reaction score
Ypu lack concentration - whatever you do don't become an Electrician - you may forget that the electricity is still turned on while working on the wires.

You need to plan more before you do these things. People don't like to plan what they are going to do because it takes time. But absent-minded people like you need the structure that planning brings.

Also avoid clutter, clutter brings frustration and is a distraction. and only do one thing at a time so that you are focus on the task at hand.

Anytime you fix a plumbing fixture, always have a bucket and a towel!!!

Tango-Kid

Don Juan
Reaction score
Take it easy. Don´t do too many things simultaneously. Even if you´re in hurry, it´s better to finish one thing completely with good results than to finish three thing ending up in chaos.

Western people - well, modern people - tend to think that they are always in rush and their precious time on earth is running too quickly. Forget that bs - time doesn´t expire, but people expire!

So.. just take it easy!

Ps. you might have good chances with Snowwhite :D
Ps2. If your problem isn´t about time - you can learn to control your body by taking up some good sport-classes. I´ve been doing gymnastics since I was a kid, and martial arts since I was 10 - it really helps me in cooking rice, too!

Dirtheart

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'll give you the simple answer: SLOW DOWN!

That's all there is to it. Talk slower, move slower, think slower. Stand back from time to time and just look around you. Haste is a major cause of stress and stress leads you to do clumsy things.

You could also try focusing your attention on the sound of your actions, as aural thinking tends to put one more at ease than visual thinking. I.e. when you walk, concentrate on the sound of your footsteps. When you are in a public place, listen to the voices, the wind etc.

Seriously, it can be very relaxing, slows down your pulse and will help you avert clumsy mistakes.

Ol'BlueEyes

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Life ain't a race. Relax, take it slow.
Here's another tip. Get very good at a particular skill, so good you can do it in your sleep. Make sure, when you do it, women can see and be impressed.
For example: I'm an ace at homemade pizza. (who doesn't like pizza?) I can make any pizza known to man, just give me the ingredients. I'm always invited to big get-togethers, like Super Bowl parties. Plus, girls love guys who can cook.

radix

Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies everyone!

I will try slowing down as suggested - I've recognized wanting to go too fast as a problem before but somehow it keeps coming back. I think curing my absent-mindedness might still be related to my confidence so I'll work on that some more. I have very big confidence ups and downs and when I gave it some thought I found that during a confidence-up everything seems to go much better, including absent-mindedness.

It's sortof a vicious circle you get into I think - you make a couple of dumb mistakes, feel less confident due to them, make more mistakes due to that etc..... so I'll work on it :)

Thanks again!

Don of Truth

Don Juan
Reaction score
Just thought I'd add...

Agree with Ol'BlueEyes and Dirtheart...slow down.

I'd like to add that whenever I want to do a task that is pretty complicated but I don't have much time I KNOW my mistakes will increase. I just deal with them when they come.

The quicker you want to complete a task the higher the RISK of mistakes. Experience is the thing that balances out that risk.

Planning is boring...it takes sooooooo long right ?
WRONG...planning can take as little as 5 seconds.

PLUS...with the sink thing...you were being watched so that usually puts people in a mental fog which prevents clear thinking. Try a speech class at a local college to improve your "doing constructive things while others watch" skill.