Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

explosive weight lifting

Playastyle

Don Juan
Reaction score
Just commenting on this. If you are an athlete, you should really be doing this kind of lift. All of that slow movement is really keeping you back from your full potential. Not that that type of lifting isn't good, but I feel that explosive lifting is better. It teaches your muscles and nervous system to fire energy at 100% so you can jump higher, run faster, throw farther, etc. People say that they are dangerous, but every type of weight lifting is dangerous. You just have to know what you are doing. Also, if you are injured somehow during a game and you are out for a while, you won't lose as much strength because ur nervous system still knows how to fire energy at 100%. My training had me try this about a year ago. In 2 weeks, I added 20 pounds on my bench press. This was a low gain too. He said I should have gotten more. He's right. I was skeptical so I didn't do it exactly as he said. I still did somewhat of a slow movement. That is just my thoughts. You may think it's BS, but that is up to you. If you want to become a better athlete, look into explosive lifting. Just thought I would let all of you know about this.

Templeton

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Explosive lifting is indeed a great training approach for many athletes but it is important to point out that this kind of power training is best utilised at a point in the training year after a good strength base has been developed.

It is important to differentiate between strength and power - strength being more to do with how much you can lift and power the speed of the movement - or the ATTEMPT to perform a fast, explosive movement, so specific power training will (generally) involve lighter weights than specific strength training. There is of course an overlap between the two and in my view they cannot be WHOLLY looked at in isolation of each other - at least not in the effect each type of training produces.

Last edited:

DJ Girevik

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Good post. I usually incorporate both into my workout (powerlifts, dips, chins and pullups for strength, and hanging olympic lifts and kettlebell lifts for power), and I generally warm up for squats by speed squatting 60 kilos 10 times or using kettlebells and an exercise bike.

wheelin&dealin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Templeton
Explosive lifting is indeed a great training approach for many athletes but it is important to point out that this kind of power training is best utilised at a point in the training year after a good strength base has been developed.
Very true.

You should bulk up to your desired weight and size and then incorporate explosive/olympic lifting into your workout program. You will be able to explosively lift more because you will have more muscle to lift with.

I have been doing snatches and cleans for awhile now and I have noticed a significant increase in my sprinting speed.

I have been doing a Westside Barbell powerlifting routine while incorporating olympic lifts into it. I am happy with the results.

Drug_L0rd

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by wheelin&dealin
Very true.
I have been doing a Westside Barbell powerlifting routine while incorporating olympic lifts into it. I am happy with the results.
is it just me or are you another one on this forum to not care for oiled up men in thongs posing for other men and other gay things like taking two d!cks in the ass at the same time which is impressive as much as it is gross.

i respect that man, that's good. how long you been doing the westside routine for. they produce some strong motherfuc kers. i wish i could pay them a visit, too bad i live in Australia.

geting back to the question, yes i most definately always lift explosively, i have to anyway, for boxing.

i definately encourage people to do so.

wheelin&dealin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Drug_L0rd
is it just me or are you another one on this forum to not care for oiled up men in thongs posing for other men and other gay things like taking two d!cks in the ass at the same time which is impressive as much as it is gross.

i respect that man, that's good. how long you been doing the westside routine for. they produce some strong motherfuc kers. i wish i could pay them a visit, too bad i live in Australia.
Bahahahaha :p

So, you don't like greased-up guys in thongs? :rolleyes:

I've been doing the routine for about a year. I've noticed huge gains in my squat due to all the good mornings and variations.

Drug_L0rd

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
yea, they got some intense sh!t. if you don't eat right you wont get the results you want.

but i can't go full on hardcore with the lifts, like board presses and floor presses and all that. the gym doesn't allow it, plus there's no space to do it.

Amorican23

Don Juan
Reaction score
I've been powerlifiting for a number of years, and doing the Westside stuff for about the past 2 years. Its cool to see some other people on here who know about REAL training. How much progress have you guys made on the westside stuff? Its worked really well for me. I'm in a cycle right now where i'm adding some more volume to try to gain a few pounds, but i am still hitting the speed work with bands for the bench and squat once a week. I threw in some actual heavy squatting too...just wanted to get away from the heavy good mornings for a little while. I'm also incorporating some cleans and snatches, which i love to do but are hard to work into the regular westside program. How's the westside stuff treating everyone else who's using it?

maosrdbf

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Playastyle
Just commenting on this. If you are an athlete, you should really be doing this kind of lift. All of that slow movement is really keeping you back from your full potential. Not that that type of lifting isn't good, but I feel that explosive lifting is better. It teaches your muscles and nervous system to fire energy at 100% so you can jump higher, run faster, throw farther, etc. People say that they are dangerous, but every type of weight lifting is dangerous. You just have to know what you are doing. Also, if you are injured somehow during a game and you are out for a while, you won't lose as much strength because ur nervous system still knows how to fire energy at 100%. My training had me try this about a year ago. In 2 weeks, I added 20 pounds on my bench press. This was a low gain too. He said I should have gotten more. He's right. I was skeptical so I didn't do it exactly as he said. I still did somewhat of a slow movement. That is just my thoughts. You may think it's BS, but that is up to you. If you want to become a better athlete, look into explosive lifting. Just thought I would let all of you know about this.
I guess I'll be the idiot here and ask what is "explosive lifting" ..

I just began going to the gym 3 days ago after years of no exercise or sports so I'm sore like crazy. I plan on working out 4-5 days a week doing the same muscle group once a week with the rest of the days resting or just running.

Soshyopathe

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
In bodybuilding, we lift slowly up and even slower down. This produces more muscle mass, but not necessarily much strength gains. Explosive lifting is tacking a little extra weight on the bar, and lifting up as fast as you can, then slowly down. Be controlled but powerful, and it will increase your strength greatly.