Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Doing Bench Press, The Correct Way?

soulforge

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
How do you guys prefer to bench press?

I keep both my feet firmly on the ground, spread them out a little, and ALWAYS maintain good form.

However I have seen some dudes at my gym, including a mate of mine, who will put BOTH feet up on the bench sometimes.

My friend tells me, by putting his feet up firmly on the bench, he feels the tension somewhat deeper in his chest..

Any thoughts on this?

Macaframalama

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

I keep both my feet firmly on the ground, spread them out a little, and ALWAYS maintain good form.

However I have seen some dudes at my gym, including a mate of mine, who will put BOTH feet up on the bench sometimes.

My friend tells me, by putting his feet up firmly on the bench, he feels the tension somewhat deeper in his chest..

Any thoughts on this?
For main work sets (competition bench), where I want bar speed as fast and explosive as possible, it's feet down. Its all about maximal tension, moving heavy weight, recruiting as much fast twitch fIber, reinforcing the pattern and neural pathways at that point. If I'm doing some drop sets or rest-pause, i won't use leg drive usually. It doesn't matter much. Normally, you should be able to press a little more using leg drive. I get about 20-30lbs out of leg drive. The bench press is a full body lift, despite laying horizontally on a bench. Tension should be kept throughout the entire body. Feet up or Larsen Press is just a way to isolate the pecs and anterior delts a little more. It's mainly used by bodybuilders or as a supplemental movement by powerlifters.

soulforge

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
For main work sets (competition bench), where I want bar speed as fast and explosive as possible, it's feet down. Its all about maximal tension, moving heavy weight, recruiting as much fast twitch fIber, reinforcing the pattern and neural pathways at that point. If I'm doing some drop sets or rest-pause, i won't use leg drive usually. It doesn't matter much. Normally, you should be able to press a little more using leg drive. I get about 20-30lbs out of leg drive. The bench press is a full body lift, despite laying horizontally on a bench. Tension should be kept throughout the entire body. Feet up or Larsen Press is just a way to isolate the pecs and anterior delts a little more. It's mainly used by bodybuilders or as a supplemental movement by powerlifters.

I take it from this, by putting your feet up on the bench, you are isolating the peck muscles, and taking away resistance from the rest of the body.

Not a bad thing, if you want to hit the chest a little deeper!

CamCam

Don Juan
Reaction score

Any thoughts on this?
You do nearly the same as me; except I arch my back a bit, tits up.

I do sometimes put my feet up on the bench; and this is why - to work stabilizing muscles in my core. I would NEVER do this with heavy weight though, because without planted feet on the ground you can easily tip off the side.

I do it sometimes, with lighter weight, and when I am trying to high rep to near failure. I feel that it slightly helps me isolate my chest

soulforge

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You do nearly the same as me; except I arch my back a bit, tits up.

I do sometimes put my feet up on the bench; and this is why - to work stabilizing muscles in my core. I would NEVER do this with heavy weight though, because without planted feet on the ground you can easily tip off the side.

I do it sometimes, with lighter weight, and when I am trying to high rep to near failure. I feel that it slightly helps me isolate my chest

Yes I did a couple of bench press sets today, with feet firmly on the bench.. Definitely felt like it isolated more of the peck muscle..

And agreed, not a good idea of your overloading with heavy weight

switch7

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

Any thoughts on this?
not good imo. Your traps should be pushing into the bench. See following link for proper bench technique:

https://www.t-nation.com/workouts/6-week-bench-press-cure

EyeBRollin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Feet on ground, and I push from nipple level. I personally use a narrower hand position than most, to cancel out my long arms. My bench ends up being highly shoulder and tricep focused. I train almost exclusively low reps for strength. However, the bench is the only exercise where I’ll add a couple higher rep low weight sets to get the pecs stimulated a bit more before benching heavy.

speed dawg

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

Any thoughts on this?
Hand positioning is more important to me. I go right outside shoulder width. Also, it really takes a good mind/muscle connection to truly flex the chest and get the most out of bench press, else you run the risk of using your shoulders and triceps too much.

I don't widen my hands to hit the bench, I think that puts undue stress on the shoulder.