Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

DIESEL (and others) thoughts on bodybuilding vs powerlifting?

sit

Banned
Reaction score
gah, im still confused.

im tired of wading knee-deep through questionable bull****, looking for that nugget of truth.

what are your thoughts on bodybuilding vs powerlifting? do you agree that there is a difference in lifting to "look strong," and training to exert force?

i ask, because im still looking for a solid training program. i want raw, brute power. i dont care about being cut, i just want immense, practical power. there are so many conflicting perspectives on the subject.

e.g.

- 3 or 4 day split; major bodypart each day
- full-body workout 2 times a week; training to failure (HIT program)
- 3 day split; revolve around bench/dips, squat, deadlifts. one each day.
- 10-20 rep, great form vs failure at 6-10 rep.
- 4+ sets per bodypart vs reaching failure in 1-2 balls out sets.
- bodybuilding to look strong & muscular vs powerlifting to BE strong and exert lots of power; pure force.

WHAT TEH ****.

one group of people promote splitting, the others say do full-body workout 2-3 times a week with heavy, compound, simple exercises for 2-6 months to build a solid foundation. then others say the full-body to failure is solid for advanced workouts.

god damnit.

DIESEL

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
bodybuilding v. powerlifting probably depends on what look/goals you're after..

If you want to look good for the honeys..then train more like a BB'er..

If you want raw brute,strength then train like a powerlifter..

however, I think it's possible to reach a healthy balance b/w the two.. please note that the training philosophies are pretty much diametrically opposed..

Decide on that, then post back.

D

sit

Banned
Reaction score
id much rather train for raw, brute strength. id never train just to look pretty for somebody else. i understand how valuable a cut physique can be for pick-ups, but id much rather be strong like a bull.

i suppose that means ill be training like a powerlifter. where do i go from here? what advice do you have? what quality books/websites/etc can i rely on for information?

thanks in advance.

DIESEL

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If you want to be a true powerlifter get the videos made by Louie Simmons at the Westside Barbell Club in Columbus, Ohio.

just run a google search on either "Louie Simmons" or "Westside Barbell Club"

peace,
D

Flyguy3663

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Sit,

bodybuilding and weight lifting is the same as anything else. there are a ton of different things that work for everyone. like what diesel does might work for shyt on my body. or what I do may be nothin for diesel and he might actually lose by doing what I do for good results. the point is.. there are different things that work for different people. thats why there are so many mags and website about strength-training.

just figure out what your ultimate goal is. i mean u said u wanna be "raw strong" and dont give a fvck about being cut. i personally would train differently than u based on my goals. my goals are a lot different. i am going for more of a massive but cut physique eventually. i train 4 times a week. i do biceps, chest, triceps, and shoulders and back.. i do each bodypart individually except for shoulders and back which i train together. i do abs twice a week.

the main point is that u need to determine your ultimate goals. i mean seriously tell urself what weight u wanna be and how ur gonna wanna look once u get there. then(as weird as it sounds) start imagining yourself big like that. then just get your program centered around training to get to that level.

in ur case ur gonna wanna go with lower reps and more sets. like say 5-6 sets of 1-3 reps. powerlifting in my opinion is too dangerous. i dont wanna take chances and fvck with weights that are above 85-90 percent of my one rep max. cuz when u do that ur injury risk is raised a ton. im not tryin to make u not do it but in my honest opinion u'd probably be better off working on a bodybuilder's split at least for now. work in the 6-12 rep area and do 4-8 exercises per muscle group and work them on individual days.

just do research and if u need any help IM me on AOL.. Flyguy3663.. peace man

K-Daddy

Don Juan
Reaction score
A balance CAN be achieved. I'd like to have a great body and also be superstrong. Now, it's very hard to devote something to both of those...for one reason, because powerlifting involves more than just muscle size. A lot of it has to do with the CNS and stuff.

Something that works for me is to train like a powerlifter when I'm cutting. Now, my strength isn't near where it could be when I'm cutting, but the point is that my muscles get used to heavier weights. When it's time to bulk again, I'll go with more reps for better hypertrophy, but I'll be a little stronger this time around. Besides, when I'm cutting, I'm just looking to keep the muscle, not gain any. It might work for you...but like someone else said, find out what works for YOU. Don't use the training program of some dude on some hardcore gear. You'll overtrain severely, among other things.

-Kow

Eltosian

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by sit:
i suppose that means ill be training like a powerlifter. where do i go from here? what advice do you have? what quality books/websites/etc can i rely on for information?
As Diesel also suggested, search for Louie Simmons.

Also good are:

Brooks Kubik (Dinosaur Training)

Pavel Tsatsouline (Power to the People, The Russian Kettlebell Challenge, etc.)

Mel Siff (Supertraining)

Stuart McRobert (Brawn, Beyond Brawn, etc.)

Arthur Dreschler (The Weightlifting Encyclopedia)

Steve Justa (Rock, Iron, Steel)

Bill Starr (The Strongest Shall Survive)

Other respectable names are Tudor Bompa, Fred Hatfield, Charles Staley. There's a lot of info out there about powerlifting and olympic lifting, but sometimes you really have to dig to find it.

A good compromise between powerlifting and bodybuilding would be a low-rep, multi-set, heavy program, with short rest intervals. For example, 15 sets of 3 w/ 80% 1RM with 30-90 second rest intervals.

The key to building mass is volume, or "tonnage."
The key to big lifts is intensity (% of 1RM.) So this would be a good compromise.

Bones

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
What would static contraction training fall under? I've read some of the stuff on it by Pete Sisco and i'm interested in it

Flyguy3663

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I personally say FVCK all that powerlifting and static training shyt.

Man work in the 5-12 rep range to failure and do maybe 2-5 sets per exercise. do 3-6 exercises per muscle group. work on a split so you are doing a different muscle group each day and every group gets 5-8 days before it is stimulated DIRECTLY.

fvck that russian power crap and all that advanced "static". if you wanna be a guinea pig be my guest and keep experimenting and wondering why your body is in the same rut. if you wanna break out go HEAVY and keep the reps 5-12..

It just amazes me how people have the answers in front of them but still choose to be ignorant and work dumb programs. if i knew what i know now when i first started i would easily be 5'10 and 200-210 as opposed to 5'10 and 190..