Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Core Competency: Deserve First, then Desire

I can go into more detail if needed. Please choose one after reading.

• I understand and can apply the concepts you've mentioned.

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Please go into more detail about the concepts you've mentioned.

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters

KiInCollege

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
USA, Graduated Already - old screen name!
Core Competency: Deserve First, then Desire

Anyone that has taken Business Policy is familiar with Core Competency and Competitive Advantage. But if these terms are new to you, they won't be after reading further.

What Core Competency refers to is what is you are good at. It's what you do that is better than the competition, in the relative sense.

A company like Dell has removed resellers and distributors from the manufacturer-to-consumer process. Gateway, IBM, and Compaq have trouble emulating (imitating) the business model that has made Dell a success because their corporate culture is different and to completely replicate what Dell does would cause a competitor to abandon side goals, or holdup, that are barriers to completely imitating Dell. Dell is a recognized leader as a Hardware Distributor.

Well by now you're thinking what the hell does this have to do with banging chicks...

Bryan Redfield, a contributer to sosuave, brought up an excellent point about marketability. In one of his articles, he said, in summary, that you can want a Mercedes, but that doesn't qualify you to own a Mercedes. You are more likely qualified for a Honda, so concentrate on acquiring a Honda, not dreaming about a Mercedes.

In other words, "Deserve First, then Desire." Maybe one day you could deserve that Mercedes...

Above I had mentioned Competitive Advantage. We compete with others. When you court a woman, the other men she has available to her are your competitors. Your Core Competency, or what you do well, strengthens your Competitive Advantage versus your opposition.

I am drawing parallels to business definitions, but it is not a perfect comparison. I can't relate being a low-cost leader and differentiation to meeting women. However, the point is that you must recognize your competition and improve your strengths. Here is where it may become clearer. Picture these examples.

You're a handsome guy. You could be the "industry leader" among handsome guys, if you did some wardrobe improvement or additional exercise. While balance is important (you must at least qualify in catagories like intelligence and charisma), your most recognizable characteristic is your appearance. What women will remember about you is that you have the best, most unique appearance among other men that she has ever known. And another advantage: Appearance is very difficult for competitors to imitate. It's a trait that makes all humans unique.

This handsome guy should pay attention to boosting other qualities, but not focus on them. Say he is below-average in his education. He could make himself more knowledgable, but given his focused effort, at best he could only be above-average, not a leader, about appearing knowledgable. Don't let a side goal holdup your Core Competency.

Maybe you're not handsome. Maybe you're best known for your charisma. Instead of just bringing a few dead parties to life, you've now decided to host your own parties and get the contact info of other popular party goers. You've increased your network of friends. Your are The Man to go to for finding out what's happening this weekend.

He could spend some effort improving his appearance, but that shouldn't be his focus. He'll never be a leader in being one of the best looking men around.

These are two examples of people that have focused on what they do well, and have now positioned themselves as leaders. Even if the margin of advantage they have over their competitors is small, it is enough to make them the best in women's eyes.

What is your Core Competency? What are you going to do about it?

Good luck, fellow DJs.