Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Contract may be cancelled before I start

ubercat

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I've picked up a 6 month contract with one of the banks

It's through a large Recruitment Company.

But the email offer came from a bank employee or at least she had a bank email address.

I had another job lined up as a backup offer until the background checks completed.

I've passed their interim background checks and the recruitment company confirmed that the bank had accepted me to start on the planned date.

So I resigned my job and withdrew from the other job offer because I didn't want to burn the recruitment agency and the start date was too long to string them along. Now my contacts at the bank say the project might get cancelled. Which is a new situation for me.

Can they just cancel the contract with no notice period before I start. Obviously that would cause me financial loss especially at this time of year.

ubercat

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Not signed but there have been emails exchanged with offer and acceptance. And the recruitment company advised me I had cleared the check and I replied back saying my understanding was that meant I was ok to commence at the bank on the planned start date, that the rest was just onboarding paperwork and I was going to resign my job based on that understanding.

Last edited:

ubercat

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
@BeExcellent @guru1000

I haven't submitted all the contractor paperwork yet. No signed contract. But I have sent email accepting.

I m trying to work out my next move.
I possibly could go back to the other company. But not if I m bound by this contract.

Is the contract enforceable by them at this stage?

BeExcellent

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
@BeExcellent @guru1000

I haven't submitted all the contractor paperwork yet. No signed contract. But I have sent email accepting.

I m trying to work out my next move.
I possibly could go back to the other company. But not if I m bound by this contract.

Is the contract enforceable by them at this stage?
The contract is not inked until it's inked. If you have not signed yet then you are not bound. Emails are informal communication and they would have a hard time persuading a judge that an email binds you.

Tell the recruitment company you need to have a signed agreement so you can start (or the bank...whoever is doing the contract) and know all terms are negotiable until the deal is signed.

If the need no longer exists they will let you know.

In the meantime see about other opportunities ( your old job, another contract, etc.). You must look after yourself and put yourself first as no one else will...but also realize things like this can be fluid.

This sort of thing does occasionally happen. Lean on the recruiter to find you another gig. They have a financial interest in placing you so see if they can find you another deal.

ubercat

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yeah it was really my mistake. I d been through psych tests 2 interviews, references contractor onboarding and background checks. Plus the process at the other company and then my mate inside was saying this project was funded and would go for at least the next year. I never thought they would put that much effort to it and then just suddenly pull it. Looks like it's going to be one of those hard life lessons damnit

ubercat

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks everyone, happy ending. The gig looks like it's going ahead. The agency just sent me my engagement letter. It states 2 weeks notice by either party. So as soon as I attend on Monday I get something. That was my big fear that I would have gone through all of this effort and turned down another opportunity and not receive a single Cent. Also I've been trying to get past the front door of a bank for a long time so to get a foot in the door and then have a chopped off would have been pretty brutal. Now I'm past the front door and can try and make my own luck.

BeExcellent

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks everyone, happy ending. The gig looks like it's going ahead. The agency just sent me my engagement letter. It states 2 weeks notice by either party. So as soon as I attend on Monday I get something. That was my big fear that I would have gone through all of this effort and turned down another opportunity and not receive a single Cent. Also I've been trying to get past the front door of a bank for a long time so to get a foot in the door and then have a chopped off would have been pretty brutal. Now I'm past the front door and can try and make my own luck.
Congratulations! Now demonstrate your value & you'll do well. :)

ubercat

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It's been a ratty project, 3 PMs crapping on us daily but I m still there so at worst it's a 3 MTH contract on the resume. And now I ll start applying for jobs at other banks so bit of luck and the move might work out.