Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Cardio tips

livin large

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Is there any difference in the benefits from running versus riding the exercise bike? It seems like riding the bike is a lot easier, plus watching tv while working out is a little more motivating than running around a track.

Also, does anybody have any creative ways to work out? I tend to get bored pretty easy with exercise (especially running). I've been playing racquetball, and that's been good, but I can only play a few times a week or I get sick of it.

dualman7

Don Juan
Reaction score
You poor baby, you want us to hold your hand while you're riding the bike too? If your heart isn't 100% in it, you will never achieve your goal! Whether it being to lose fat, or to gain muscle, if you aren't giving it all you have, you might as well just stop working out. You're just wasting your time. And you won't accomplish anything.

xyzzy

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score

Dude, if you like sports then find more of those to do, but kick the exercise bike to the curb.

Look for the following signs of a good workout:

1) . Involuntary breathing This means the workout is strenuous enough that the cells in your body are crying for extra oxygen, so you breath deeper and fuller. It is through involuntary breathing that the body draws energy from fat stored in the body.

2) Sweating Heat is a by-product of work, and your body is trying to get rid of it through the production of sweat. This is an important sign that your body has gone into an anaerobic state. The muscles are also not very efficient so a lot of energy is lost to heat.

3) Elevated Heartbeat More cells are getting overworked so the body is pushing more blood to them, and less to other areas. Organs that dont need blood such as your stomach, liver, etc. get less blood and your muscles get more blood. Which is why you can get cramps and shouldnt swim after eating, btw.

So...are you peddling on that exercise bike enough that you are out of breath? Are you sweating buckets? Is your heart about to explode out of your chest?

Personally I find an exercise bike/treadmill is fine to warm up my muscles before I workout, but not really good enough to do those three things Ive stated.

Last edited:

Maurizio

Don Juan
Reaction score
In response to the original question about the benefits of running vs the benefits of cycling / using the exercycle:

Running will burn calories slightly faster because more muscle groups are being used (even your arms are swinging when you run) and that will result in a higher heart rate at lower percieved levels of exertion. Running is also weight bearing and will promote good bone density, but you are at a high risk for joint dammage if you have ANY imperfections in your running form... trust me, you probably do. Take a look at the bodies of a competitive distance runner and a competitive cyclist. The runner is most likely VERY VERY thin and gaunt, the cyclist will look more normal in proportions although will be VERY lean and cut. True cycling requires much more raw strength than running, thus you end up looking like less of a cadaver. I am an elite level cyclist, so I'm a bit bias.

As for sweating being a signal that you've gone anaerobic... no way. You should start sweating way before going anaerobic. The burning feeling of lactic acid pouring into your muscles is what REALLY signals that you've gone anaerobic. Endurance athletes train their bodies to start sweating at the very first indication that the heat is going up in order to be more efficient and regulate temperature better. I'll start sweating lightly even if I'm just sitting in a warm room.

xyzzy: You can't exert yourself on an exercise bike? Come on man, try a little harder. I just got back from a trip to get some physiological testing done to see if I can live at the olympic training center later in the year, and get a spot on the US Junior National Cycling Team. They put me on this super fancy type of exercycle, hooked me up to a computer, and three coaches put me through hell. They had me go harder and harder until failure. My heart rate was at my max of 203 - 205 for over three minutes. I was a freaking fountain of sweat. Two of the other athletes who were being tested vomited after finishing. It was that hard.

Point being: The exercycle can be hard and provide a good workout if you want it to be.

- Maurizio

xyzzy

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score

Maurizio

Thats fine for an athlete such as yourself, but when the original poster mentions that they can "watch TV while working out" gives me visions of fatties peddling on a Cruise in the Bahamas while trying not to spill Pina Colatas over themselves.

Thats why I was asking if he was putting forth enough effort. Which is the point of my post... IF you are using the bike to gain a strenuous workout THEN that is fine.

I wasnt saying that you couldnt get some sort of workout from it, but I doubt, and this is my opinion, I will ever see someone in better shape from a stationary bike than from running or using a regular bike. At least with a regular bike you are getting hills, fresh air, mental stimulus, vitamin D and a host of better workout conditions.

Mack Of All Trades

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Run. It is WAY better. Cycling on a stationary is for lazy people who dont have the determination to run.

livin large

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Maurizio, thanks for the info.

Let me clarify my original question for dualman. I probably exercise more than everybody who has posted here except Maurizio (my roommate is a competitive cyclist, so I know you're working your a$$ off). My point was, unlike Maurizio, I don't have a desire to be a competitive runner or cyclist. If I run 30 miles a week, yes, it gets boring. There aren't many great areas to run on streets around here, so pretty much my only option is a track at the local high school. I'm willing to bet you've never run 30 miles in a week dualman, and especially not around a track.

xyzzy, when I'm on the exercise bike I'm working my butt off. I have access to a bike that monitors heart rate, so I can cardio train and make sure I'm not getting lazy - I try to keep my heart rate at about 160, so it's definitely not easy. I thought I was sweating a lot when I was pushing 170 yesterday, I can't imagine doing 200+. But yes, watching TV is motivating. If there is a game on and I can watch it for an hour while riding the bike, I'm more likely to do that than run 6 miles. That's why I was asking about the benefits of the bike vs. running.

I'm also looking for other ways to get a good cardio workout. I mentioned racquetball because I can play for a few hours and be just as tired as when I run 6 miles. I'm not the type that just hits the ball toward the wall when it comes my way - we're pretty intense. I was hoping somebody knew of another activity that could give me similar results so I don't have to play the same guy in racquetball as my only break from running.

I do cardio 6-7 days a week, so it's not like I'm looking for an easy way out. I've been doing a lot of running, that's why I'm looking for new ways now. Thanks for the replys (except for dualman).

Let me clarify one more thing from my original post - when I say riding the bike is easier than running I mean easier on the body (especially the knees).

xyzzy

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score

Well geez man why didnt you say so in the beginning? :D If youre maintaining an elevated heartbeat then its a good thing.

Anyway as far as running goes, if its on soft gravel or a cork track, and you are getting plenty of fluids, have good shoes, then running isnt as devastating on the knees as everyone worries. Just avoid running on concrete as much as possible.

A whole hour is too long though, usually with cardio 20-30 minutes max will keep you from losing muscle mass.

The Irish Tongue

Don Juan
Reaction score
Comparing the running and the bike got covered pretty good.

As far as alternative cardio goes, I like jumping rope, swimming in the summer, ice skating in the winter, marathon sex is good for a few hundred calories, and beating the crap out of my heavy bag for 20 min.

Big N

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Here's a different approach to cardio that I find exciting. Either learn a dance from MTV or choreograph your own. After you learn it, you can keep dancing to it for as long as you want. Learn different routines to spice it up. If you find that it's too easy, try singing & dancing at the same time.

I like this because (a) I like pop music (b) I like dancing (c) I like singing (d) it is challenging (e) I see myself improve...the list goes on & on. It's tedius to learn the dances, but once you get them it's all gravy.

Maurizio

Don Juan
Reaction score
If you like the accompanament of a television for motivation while doing your cardio, then go for it.

During our $hitty New England winters, I'm forced to do most of my training indoors, in my basemnt. To keep me from going insane during 3 hour sessions (which is the longest my sanity permits while indoors) I have a lot of good movies, and videos of racing that I watch, which are pretty cool. I also like to WATCH music videos, but listen to my own intense Eurodance mixes on the soundsystem down there.

Satisfying my other senses makes the experience more tolerable, and I'd even say that listening to music that pumps you up will encourage you to ride harder without noticing the added effort.

Sometimes I'll run one or two days a week for roughly 8 miles, if the weather is REALLY bad with ice and snow, and I start to go stir crazy with all the indoor training. I too would find the experience of running really dull were I not listening to music that really movated me and took my mind off the task at hand.

Good "hype" music is my key for preventing boredom.

If you like playing raqetball, then do it. Realize however that to achieve the same amount of calories burned, that you'd probably have to play raquetball for 2.5 times as long as you'd have to run.

Since you state that you have no desire to be a competitive runner or cyclist, and are simply looking to prevent monotony, then you should do both.

- Maurizio