Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Becoming a narrator for books online

christie

Banned
Reaction score
Does this side gig have a job title? Is it simply "narrator"?

My almost 3 week vacation starts in 6 hours and I'm excited to try recording myself reading books.

It is a way of getting myself still feeling productive while I rest.

I wonder if there's a headset microphone I can get that plugs into my cellphone.

I know the demand for audiobooks has gone up. Let's see if I can get my voice sounding marketable to bring in side gig money.

Roober

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It's called voiceover artist/actor/talent. There is lsnt a ton of money for ebooks primarily because it's a huge investment of time, and you usually just get a percent of sales.

However, there are tons and tons of markets for voiceover. Corporate training, commercials, advertisements, tons of jobs out there. Average pay is about 15-30 cents a word. If you have your own equipment and don't have to re-record a bunch, you can certainly make a living off of it. On the lower end, you'll make about 50/hr. On the high end, around 150-200/hr.

There's surprisingly a lot of nuance to the job, and it can be a lot of fun. Google search, watch some YouTube to get started, then get some training.

christie

Banned
Reaction score
It's called voiceover artist/actor/talent. There is lsnt a ton of money for ebooks primarily because it's a huge investment of time, and you usually just get a percent of sales.

However, there are tons and tons of markets for voiceover. Corporate training, commercials, advertisements, tons of jobs out there. Average pay is about 15-30 cents a word. If you have your own equipment and don't have to re-record a bunch, you can certainly make a living off of it. On the lower end, you'll make about 50/hr. On the high end, around 150-200/hr.

There's surprisingly a lot of nuance to the job, and it can be a lot of fun. Google search, watch some YouTube to get started, then get some training.
Oh thanks!
I had some challenges.

I think training would help. So would knowing what equipment I need.

Roober

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Start cheap.

1. You can jerry jig a sound proofing area, such as a closet or otherwise. It will probably require more editing, but I'm a firm believer that you don't overspend until you start bringing money in

2. Get a decent mic. If there is one area to splurge a bit, this would be it. A good low end mic is the blue series. I have a Rode NT1, which is solid, and I just picked up a shure SM7B because I'm thinking of starting a podcast. Additionally, you need a audio interface, mic stand, and headphones. You can get all of this for less than $500 if you should around.

3. Audio software. Just use audacity because it's great software and it's free. You won't need any of the high level functionality of the expensive software.

4. I'd start with youtube and take a masterclass on udemy. You can get mostly everything you need to learn about the profession and get started there.

5. After that, I would look for voice training. As you start searching around, you'll find tons of options for that.

Then it's just a matter of putting yourself out there and trying to get work.

christie

Banned
Reaction score
Start cheap.

1. You can jerry jig a sound proofing area, such as a closet or otherwise. It will probably require more editing, but I'm a firm believer that you don't overspend until you start bringing money in

2. Get a decent mic. If there is one area to splurge a bit, this would be it. A good low end mic is the blue series. I have a Rode NT1, which is solid, and I just picked up a shure SM7B because I'm thinking of starting a podcast. Additionally, you need a audio interface, mic stand, and headphones. You can get all of this for less than $500 if you should around.

3. Audio software. Just use audacity because it's great software and it's free. You won't need any of the high level functionality of the expensive software.

4. I'd start with youtube and take a masterclass on udemy. You can get mostly everything you need to learn about the profession and get started there.

5. After that, I would look for voice training. As you start searching around, you'll find tons of options for that.

Then it's just a matter of putting yourself out there and trying to get work.
Ok!

This is a good assortment of info to start with, thank you