Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Army Reserves

Gangster Of Love

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Dolt.

dietzcoi

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
i am an active duty US Army Lt. Colonel.

My advice: Don't do it.

They Army won't care about you. We treat enlisted poorly. If you get a leg blown off the VA won't take good care of you either.

Do not waste a year of your life in Iraq. We are not going to win it. It will be a waste just like Viet Nam.

All for nothing.

Dietzcoi

Aztec

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by dietzcoi
i am an active duty US Army Lt. Colonel.

My advice: Don't do it.

They Army won't care about you. We treat enlisted poorly. If you get a leg blown off the VA won't take good care of you either.

Do not waste a year of your life in Iraq. We are not going to win it. It will be a waste just like Viet Nam.

All for nothing.

Dietzcoi
Whatever man.

Ken, it's obviously a tough life decision. You know the risks and consequences of being a soldier especially this awful times.

Before I went to Ranger school, I heard some discouraging comments about it. I even doubted myself if I could pass the course physically, worse mentally with couple of hours of sleep, patrolling, measly MRE a day etc. etc. But others who REALLY WANTED it got in and survived. I got through it . Looked like a twig when I came back to my unit and I appreciated mess hall food much more.
:D

If you are my son I obviously wouldn't want my son be in Iraq and risking his life. I don't want to harp on Iraq situation to avoid lockdown. If you want to wait this out, go to college and then pursue military career, that's okay too. Just don't go out of a dare from friends or seeing a good army commercial. It has to be in you.

A-Unit

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Some thoughts.

Back during the summer, at the age of 24, I went all the way through the process short of signing on the line. It shocked me how quick it was. Next thing I know I was picking my job. I had no clue, and the local recruiting office wasn't much help.

My recruiter was helpful, to a point, but he pushed it like it was a car, and not my life.

"Dude, you in?"
"Dude, it's been awhile, what do you think?"

I got alot of mixed feelings. Obviously on TV they portray it pretty poorly, and in my area I good number of new enlistees have already died, while on the other side, some have become heroes, or been stationed elsewhere.

It's a toss up, and I think the bottom line is making sure you're prepared for doing what you have to. You might not be ready for it, but know you can handle it.

I was going to enlist as an Officer, but they wanted to me to rise to that rank so I could lock down a position at a local Reserve Base. Made sense, I just wasn't comfortable not having that outlined up front. And with the committment for good money being 6 6years, I was thrown back abit.

I still juggle with serving, and I think each person has to find their own truth. I have a friend who became a hero and earned the Purple Heart in the USMC for saving his platoon of 30 men while stationed in IRAQ. He survived a major fight, even did some Rambo-like moves in the midst of battle and wasn't injured. He was sent back for a short-time then is done. He had the passion to be in for awhile, BUT he did watch friends die and "get blown to bits."

You're serving the country, but realize, you are part of one of the most political and bureaucratic organizations out there. Benefits aside, make sure you weigh what you have to give up to get them. I wasn't told the full committment was 6 years until I happened upon it.

A-Unit