Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Are Books Overrated?

Diaoz

Don Juan
Reaction score
Lately I've been thinking about the value of reading and would like to hear your input.

Personally, I understand the common knowledge of books being enriching. I also see the well-read more successful than say, those who flip through tabloids .
However, I'm beginning to doubt it's place among the truly wealthy.

I was discussing a specific book with a friend last night. Personally, I felt it was junk and corrupting minds. The good mate however, thought otherwise and was quite obviously beyond congent reasoning.
Therefore it brought to mind the influence books has on our thought patterns. Sure, as intellectual beings, we can think critically and judge the contents. Though I believe the risks of being swayed in a certain direction, is very real.

Name any topic and you can find a pile of books on it, many of which have notions that contradict each other.
A discerning reader would of course, choose the useful from each and adapt it for personal use.

But then, how would we accurately judge which are the useful? I believe on a subconcious level, it's determined by:
1. The method of delivery (eg. phrasing)
2. Author's credentials (our perception of them)
3. Our personal, already-formed thought-patterns (we often look to support our personal assumptions)

As DJs, we already understand the impact of communication methods. It's usually not what we say, but how we say it. The same applies to text. Of course though, this is a complicated subject and will have to be discussed at length.

I'm more interested in touching on authors.
The Unknowns:
Going through books I've read in the past 6months, I randomly picked out the names of some authors I don't really know and did a Google on them. Turns out (as expected), that for most of them, the only materials available are their own! The exact PR blurb on the book cover.

The Famous:
Next, those already in the public eye. Personally, I'm fairly skeptical about many publications from people in this class. They're stuck between "normal" and "successful". It seems that often, they're just blowing their own trumpet.
I mean, who knows how good they really are? Things often look great on the surface but havoc is raging beneath. The book may in fact be one of their ways to make some much needed crisis fund.

This also brings up the Rich Dad controvesy. Is Kiyosaki's success just a figment of our imagination?

The Successful:
Now these are the guys who have actually made it.
Problem being, they don't really have a good reason to write. Sure, some have a passion for life and want other people to succeed. Most however, are on an ego-trip and are coated with exaltations about how good they are yada yada.
And if it's useful, then wouldn't there be many Billionaire Investors from reading Buffet?

True, books and knowledge are only half of the equation. The more important part is implementation. Which is also what I'm getting at.
I went through a list of everyone I know, and realized the most successful person who reads WILDLY I know is an Analyst. And while he's smart and now leading a great comfortable life, he's not one of those on Forbes 100. We of course also know, Analysts are often wrong. (because they regurgitate what they read?) :crackup: :crackup:

Now, I've had a belief in books for a long time, but am now beginning to worry about it's true benefit. Does it just make us more successful, generally speaking, and not right at the top?
We're all aware that authors will inevitably distort the objectivity of content by basing on their personal experiences and/or imagination.

Therefore since people who write hasn't exactly lived the top life, and those who are at the top have few reason to be honest, is reading a mirage then?

What do you think?

The Bad Ass Canadian

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Reading is one of the best ways to keep the mind sharp. Staring at a computer all day turns me into a fvcking robot. With a sharper mind comes a stronger thought process. This will help you get the job done, in every aspect of your life.

As far as what individual authors are trying to say, my advice would be to take what you want from everything you read and anything you disagree with just ignore. It won't hurt you, to do so.

I don't see how books and reading would have anything to do with how successful you are. It's all down to the individual. I know some really well read people who are getting no where in life, and I also know some very wealthy men who can't barely read at all.

A-Unit

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Re:

Books are the free means of acquiring knowledge of times past. There was a time when people couldn't read. Then they weren't allowed to read certain books. Now, we can read anything we choose to. It is a priviledge, and the only means by which an independent thinking body can forge ahead without the need of big brother or a corporation.

Those who would choose to, can diligently read and create their own path. An analyst would analye regardless of the books they read. That's a personality/habit trait, not some consequence of reading books.

I buy lots of books. I'd say right now I have over 200, easily, and at least 50+ e-books, coupled with numerous programs and even free downloads. By topic I have 10+ Real Estate books (pretty boring books though), over 20 stock books plus several stock trading programs paid for here. Etc, etc. I'm not trying to blow smoke. What I am trying to establish is personal and independent research to fit your own path.

For instance, in stock trading, many just look for tips. But there are those of us who would like to invest and leave it, like an apartment building that distributes cash flow. Yet there are others who want to flip and move on. They want quick cash. No style is better than another, only the 1 that suits the investor.

There are those that like day trading and there are those who like long-term trend investing. The point is to find what fits the person. Dating advice works the same. I've bought countless books, that have only a few good thoughts which make sense to me, but added immense value. There are others which have LOADS of value and I use to incorporate their value into a total picture.

--------------------------

I don't judge the author, I judge the merit of the idea.

We should embrace the ability to acquire knowledge from past masters and look at that with grandeur and awe. It's as good as being able to sit and speak with them.

The problem i see is that education in general ignore the books that are so important to ADVANCING a child's life.

Education has not IMPROVED the quality of a person's life. Outside study does. If this was the case, children at 10 and younger would be reading more advanced books. Finance, investing, and law would be taught in the teens.

All that has happened education-wise is a LENGTHENING of the process. It does not take THAT long to LEARN anything that will make US succeed.

THINK ABOUT IT!

People can take weekend courses in R/E and begin investing and hunting for R/E properties.

People can take basic courses to invest in the stock market. It does not take a whole year to learn to calculate the P/E of a stock!

The purpose of knowledge is to gain results and lead to happier, higher quality of life.

Does education in general bring us closer or farther away from this goal?

If it's farther we must consider the validity of education as we know it, and throw it away.

If it's closer then we must consider investing MORE into education.

-------------------------

The application of knowledge is power. If you surround yourself with great and powerful minds, osmosis occurs. Reading different topics day after day will give you your own home course of successful study. This shows true dedication and brings outside value and information that others don't have or won't get.

To me, those that acquire basic, general, standard educational information only what a job or career, they don't want wealth, riches, happiness, and don't certainly have the drive to be the best in their field.

In getting knowledge, one must set aside their ego and assumption of elitism and focus on their goal: being the best they can be. That includes knowing what your competitors know, being ahead of the pack, and knowing all possibilities. Sometimes, even if you don't use the info, knowing it gives you an advantage by NOT using it, because maybe it has holes, or would lead to poor results in 1 area.

A-Unit

sneaker

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I think this is an interesting thread. While I can't really comment on alot of the thingsDiaoz is discussing, I have a couple of questions that I need some input on.

First off I wanna say how important I think reading is. How it stimulates the mind and gives you great opportunity learn things and enrich your life is awsome. I've purchased books that I think will benefit me the most in the areas I want to improve in my life. That being said, I still find it hard to read on a regular basis. I have read only a couple of the books I've bought. I'm actually a good reader, but I have trouble finding the motivation to read as much as I should be. It's just that much easier to turn on the TV or get on the internet.

Do any of you guys have this problem? If so, how do you avoid it? Do you set specific goals on when you want to finish a book? For example, depending on the size and difficulty, do you set a certain amount of days that you want to take to finish it? Or do you try to read a couple chapters a day? Do you just read when you feel like it?

I also would like to know how much of this is habit. I'm trying to get out of watching any TV and limiting my internet time and get used to reading ALOT more often. Have any of you had this specific "transition" problem?

PS: I know my reply doesn't have too much to do with the Diaoz's original post. If you'd like, I can start a new thread.

Diaoz

Don Juan
Reaction score
Hi guys, really appreciate your thoughts.
As mentioned, I firmly believe the merits of reading as an intellectual stimulant. In my earlier post, I mention how book readers are generally more successful than say, people who flip through tabloids.

A recurring issue The Bad Ass and A-Unit brought up is about sifting through and applying only what one thinks is useful for himself. True, my exact sentiments before delving deeper.

But now that I've been observing and thinking about it, my question and doubt is, how often can we objectively determine which content is the useful one?

GQ_Confidence_1

Don Juan
Reaction score
IMO, you'll have a big advantage in life if you read great stuff consistently. How many people even read a daily newspaper?

I only like reading books, reports or articles from people with results. Guys with a track record. I think you'll get better insights from a .333 hitter than from a half dozen .250 hitters.

Guys like Kiyosaki are .275 hitters. You don't really know his background. Is his story just puffery? Maybe you could pull some good ideas from him....but alot of it is really broad.

In the last 7 years, I've probably read close to 150 books, and lots of great reports and articles....

-Some serve to inspire.

-Some are for fun and really interesting

-Expands your paradigm...makes you look at life in a new way

-Makes you money, saves you money

I use to think that reading wasn't all it's cracked up to be because, if it was so easy.....then everyone would be doing it. Everyone would read Warren Buffett and they'd be millionaires.

But the flaw with that, is thinking that everyone always does whats best for them. Not so!! The answer can be right in front of people...but they dont take it. Look at weight loss. Everyone knows what to do...diet and exercise...but no one does it.

People in general don't recognize the limits they place on themselves....once you break out of it, and create a new habit....what seemed impossible now seems easier (talking to girls for example!).

Reading and gaining knowledge has DEFINITELY helped my game with girls :) Imagine what your life would have been like if you had a guide like the DJ bible when you were 16.

A-Unit

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Re:

Personally, I like books more than college courses. Not only are college courses drawn out, the text books don't require you understand or find the info, or even determine what you do and don't get, but they're academic, not real world. What's the use of information if it's not applicable in some way to our survival and success?

Sure college gives us degrees, which shows people we're intelligent and capable, something you can't do with a vast personal library, but a $150 text book with questions at the back of the book, telling you what to know, instead of allowing you to find what it is you want to know KILLS the learning process. This is what books of today have done wrong to the youths of America in public education. Such books have the habit of giving kids the answer, instead of learning to get it.

In terms of what is good and what isn't comes to results. We can't know what is useful and what isn't unless we act on it and see about it's usefulness.

If you read on some new DJ principles supposedly exposed by an accomplished DJ and you only used it once, that's not enough. Likewise, if it's a tactic that is only good for getting a ONS, then maybe it doesn't suit you if what you want is a LTR.

The same applies to investing. If you're into stock investing, then you go for the guys who are publicly successful, who tow the line, and put their reputation out there. Jesse Livermore, Peter Lynch, Warren Buffett, Benjamin Graham. I've seen books that say you can make $1,000,000 in the market, but did it during the ERA of irrational exuberance, so it doesn't really count.

I don't think there's a perfect science to book selection. I would begin with classics, those books that were required reading in English classes, investment books that top traders have, personal development books of long-standing pro's (Maxwell Maltz, Jim Rohn, Tony Robbins, Og Mandino, etc).

You will notice most Real Estate books are very similar in topic. Sure, there's Tax Liens, Flipping, Apartments, Commerical Property, Fixer-Uppers, etc, and those differ, but dig deeper by topic and they're very much the same, with only minor differences. Those minor differences can make the difference, though.

Learning, like anything is a life long journey. If you start today, even though you want results now, by next year you'll be amazed at how much you've read and accomplished. Most want results now and so want to find the perfect book to begin with, or want to have the perfect schedule, or room. I say, JUST START. Read whenever. Read in the bathroom, read before bed, read on your lunch break, read @ the beach, read in traffic. Stick a book in your car, so if someone is late, you can use your time wisely.

Reading enables you to control what thoughts go in your mind. You control what's "on." You cannot do that with TV. I just got cable today, and only because I wanted football and to watch the market before work. I used to watch alot of TV and play quite a bit of games, but don't so much anymore. Only when I don't want to think very much for a minutes or had enough reading. I'd say I do about 2-3 hours per day, but it varies, from Donald Trump to Lord of the Rings to Buffet. I do it for enjoyment, but also because the books provide alternative thought.

Surprisingly, Tucker Max on his site admits that this is 1 key to his success and even his "strong game." Not that you wouldn't expect it, but his "theme" is quite contrary to be intelligent in some respects. He is a Duke Law Grad, though, so there is that bit of credibility.

I, too, don't like newspapers much. Most of my news is via online, if at all. When you consider what the news REALLY is, it's a tool of control, a tool of fear, of programming.

Honestly, is car accident THAT important?
Is a murder THAT important?
Is a rape THAT important?
Are what neighbors do to each other THAT important?

Is that NEWS? Are fires THAT important?

The news station is nothing more than real propaganda trying to steer emotions of the people and distract them. This, I swear on.

The other day, I saw a commercial for a mini-series on "Sex Trafficking" as it relates to the Aruba case. Are you kidding me? Yes, it happens, but it's not as widespread as one would expect. It's not like it's happening in Small Town America, or even Boston for that Matter. Such things happen to people who put themselves in risky places, i.e. girls going out alone getting drunk without protection going with sketchy men. THAT IS RISKY. It's one thing to trust your next door neighbor, and entirely another to have a ONS with a random chick (or dude) and be so trusting at first blush. DUH!

On another occasion I was watching NCIS or SVU or something @ 9pm. I was somewhat shocked that TO and Denise Sheriden got busted for her somewhat tawdy and risque ad during MNF, yet what I saw was a couple engaging in full blown sex. So tell me, MNF, which airs @ 9, was not nearly as bad, but took punishment and fines WHY?

Anybody who's watched notices the graphic murder, sex, and adult themes on basic TV, at a time when kids around 10 years old are still up.

Pretty much anything that could slightly influence society and people's thinking is made into a TV show or mini series. TV is just that bad. Even my clients that watch CNBC are so nerve racked over the markets I have to ensure them they're not at risk, cut them loose, or redirect their calls. Look behind the purpose of TV. Sure, those free-thinking people don't get sucked in to all the crap, but not that many people are THAT free thinking.

A-Unit

RaWBLooD

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
No books aren't "overrated" some people like to listen to people, some like to read, whatever.