Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Anyone owned a Merc SL 350 or 500?

derby1

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Just looking at these in the UK, they look a little like a corvette..

my point being theyre cheap as chips

for 5 grand I could be driving round in a serious looking sports car, if I got some decent rims for it....

I understand parts etc but im mechanically, minded anyway... it would only used 2 days a week as the petrol is a lot over here

thoughts?

Lookatu

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
There's a reason why Merc's drop in value like crazy since new. Lot of tech that not everyone can fix or work on easily, expensive repairs, baby boomers always wanting new or CPO with warranty, younger dudes not interested in them as much so less demand in the used market.

Some Merc engines are better than others as far as reliability and the ease to work on them.

If you need any advice on Merc's, I suggest asking on those forums or asking this guy. He's local to me and has been a tech for years. His vidoes are also informative as well:

His specialty are Mercedes. I'm more of a BMW guy myself so can't really help you. Good Luck! :up:

backseatjuan

Banned
Reaction score
Make sure the engine and transmission is good. Check them inside out. Merc is a nice car, but because when you bring it to mechanic they see $$$$$ walking in, they have a bad rep in the US. Tho, in other parts of the world, Russia for example, it's a reliable car. Toyota will be more reliable though.

Kotaix

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Newer german cars of all brands except for maybe Porsche have engineered obsolescence built into them, and the service costs are brutally expensive. I looked into an Audi A5 because I loved the styling and got turned off the minute I realized that the direct injection system means you have to have the valves cleaned by the dealership every so many miles.

Lookatu is absolutely correct, there is a very good reason these cars are dirt cheap and they depreciate so badly. If you buy one of the newer SLs on the cheap, you're going to be able to drive it until something breaks. Then you throw the car away because for the price of repairs you could buy a brand new car cost for what it'll cost you to repair it.

This guy is a bit obnoxious to watch but he tells it like it is.

Young OG

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Just looking at these in the UK, they look a little like a corvette..

my point being theyre cheap as chips

for 5 grand I could be driving round in a serious looking sports car, if I got some decent rims for it....

I understand parts etc but im mechanically, minded anyway... it would only used 2 days a week as the petrol is a lot over here

thoughts?
What years are you looking at? From what I hear the Mercs from the 1990 to around 2010 were junk. You would be better off getting a Audi, VW, or BMW over a Merc.

Also, stay away from anything high mileage that has a turbo. The turbo will eventually go out and will cost you thousands to replace. (Example = e90/e92 BMW 335i)

Lookatu

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Newer german cars of all brands except for maybe Porsche have engineered obsolescence built into them, and the service costs are brutally expensive. I looked into an Audi A5 because I loved the styling and got turned off the minute I realized that the direct injection system means you have to have the valves cleaned by the dealership every so many miles.
I'm glad you didn't fall into that trap.

A lot of people can afford to buy a car but a lot can't afford to own it and maintain it.

I have mostly all German cars but that's only because I know how to work on them myself. If I didn't, I couldn't afford to own any or them.

Example: I just replaced my dad's electric water pump on his BMW. Parts cost was $500 but it would've been $1800 bill at the dealerships.

stovepipe

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If I was a mechanic with the tools and space to work on my own car I'd buy one. Otherwise I wouldn't even take one for free. They are unreliable money pits, which is why they are the #1 most depreciated car. There isn't one owner I ever met that didn't constantly complain about it's poor reliability and high repair costs.

I always tell someone who might be considering one to only buy with a warranty and sell right before it expires. One of the many examples is my neighbor who had a CLS. One day he came out to see one side of the car's air suspension failed. He paid $3k to fix it. Then 2 months later the other side failed which was another $3k to fix. In a matter of a fews months when it was all said and done he paid almost $7k repairs. He ended up selling right after as he couldn't afford another expensive surprise.

Had another friend who had a C. He paid I think around $17k for it used. I remember after a few years of him owning it I asked him if it was reliable. He told he has spent close to what he paid for the car in repair costs. The air suspension is notorious for failing on these cars on top of their well known electrical issues.

wifehunter

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'd buy a Lexus, instead.

Because, if you're going to pay a lot for parts, you want them to last.

Toyota makes good parts.

Good parts, good car.

Kotaix

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If I was a mechanic with the tools and space to work on my own car I'd buy one. Otherwise I wouldn't even take one for free. They are unreliable money pits, which is why they are the #1 most depreciated car. There isn't one owner I ever met that didn't constantly complain about it's poor reliability and high repair costs.

I always tell someone who might be considering one to only buy with a warranty and sell right before it expires. One of the many examples is my neighbor who had a CLS. One day he came out to see one side of the car's air suspension failed. He paid $3k to fix it. Then 2 months later the other side failed which was another $3k to fix. In a matter of a fews months when it was all said and done he paid almost $7k repairs. He ended up selling right after as he couldn't afford another expensive surprise.

Had another friend who had a C. He paid I think around $17k for it used. I remember after a few years of him owning it I asked him if it was reliable. He told he has spent close to what he paid for the car in repair costs. The air suspension is notorious for failing on these cars on top of their well known electrical issues.
Never buy a car with air ride. Range Rovers are notorious for the same problem.

stovepipe

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Never buy a car with air ride. Range Rovers are notorious for the same problem.
Facts. As much as I like the ride I'd never buy a car with it.

Lookatu

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
One of my BMW has air ride and luckily for that brand it hasn't failed me since 2008. I've bought new old stock units just in case for clearance at $85/piece for when it does go out.

Funny thing with Range Rover owners, you know if their truly wealthy or wannabe's just by looking to see if their rear ends are sagging because the wannabe's can't afford to have them fixed. LOL
I see this all the time.