Anybody know about salary negotiating(non-women related)

Dhoulmagus

Banned
Reaction score
First job offer since graduating college offered 30k and it is in North Dakota. Idk what the other people make there because I can't find **** on the internet. However, I was expecting in the 40k range.

Huffman

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Do you have anything to negotiate with? Like, are you better than the others, or have some additional qualifications, or related experience? If not, you might not be able to do much about it.

One thing that helps me if I really want a job but the salary is lowish:
- Make an agreement that you start "on trial" for the low salary. Make an agreement that after (some months) there will be a re-negotiation of the salary. If possible, make it part of the contract. They may be surprised but you can argue very well that you're confident you will convince them etc.

Employee jobs in Germany are really rigid, nobody will negotiate more than 5%, no matter how good you are. If you have a certain degree and x years of experience, your salary is basically fixed. So you have to add some extra "rules" and "benefits" to the contract. Lunch vouchers, gym membership, anything! Thing is, in most companies the HR/Finance dept. have a very tight budget and can't decide to give you 5k more, even if they wanted. But if they like you, they can give you all sorts of benefits and open career doors for you.

That said, I hear in the US you can negotiate harder than over here. But to get from 30k into "40k range", that's a 33%+ upgrade.

Last edited:

Huffman

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Another thing - depending on your field - is to contact headhunters / HR agencies. I'm in IT so I actually get contacted by them, but I'm sure you can find some on Linkedin etc. Most of their offers are crap, but get them talking for a bit and ask them about average salaries. Don't believe everything they say, but these guys have valuable info!

BeExcellent

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The answer to your question depends on you AND the market in which you find yourself. Companies hire people for the absolute least amount they can get away with paying. What you think you ought to be making is immaterial independent of the market. Your best bet may be to take the position, go there are demonstrate value to the organization. Once you demonstrate value you become marketable at a higher level; either to some other organization or to the one that doesn't want the cost to replace you and whatever you bring to the table.

You may actually get a HIGHER offer to go to ND as opposed to somewhere else because employees may be more scarce there.

Don't be one of these people who turns up your nose at an opportunity. Take the opportunities placed before you and make the most of them. So what its in ND. How much time will you lose waiting for other opportunity while you could have been efficient with your time and creating value and experience for yourself?

If you want to negotiate everything in terms you find favorable work for yourself and be the best at what you do. Then you can pick and choose.

speed dawg

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
First job offer since graduating college offered 30k and it is in North Dakota. Idk what the other people make there because I can't find **** on the internet. However, I was expecting in the 40k range.
Depends on if you have any muscle behind your 'negotiation'.

If you have no other job offer, and really need a job, you really can't negotiate can you? Just like Game, you have to have options to be choosy. You always google average salaries. If you don't possess that mental capacity I'm not sure what to tell you.

Tenacity

Banned
Reaction score
OP:

- What industry are you in?

- What experience and professional education do you have?

Like some have mentioned, working in a big/major city would likely be a higher salary, BUT UNDERSTAND that also comes with a higher cost of living. For example, working in Manhattan might have you making $120,000 but understand that's equivalent to making about $45,000 - $50,000 where I'm at in Sterling Heights, MI.

evan12

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
When they send an offer send them counter offer , but be aware that some companies does not like employees who work under expected salary because that mean he will not be happy.
check what is the average salary there , and make sure you are with the average and releastic in what you are asking for