AAU Try-Outs

MNRep

Don Juan
Reaction score
Aight, well AAU Basketball Tryouts are Sunday March 16th. See, I've never played AAU before. Ever. I've been in basektball camps since 3rd grade and since 5th grade I've played for school and I've been kinda obsessed with basketball all my life. (I'm guessing I'm not alone on this board). But, this year I just got really pissed off by not making varsity (either did mike as a sophomore but I don't think I'll end up like him) and I decided I'll do anything to play varsity next year. So, I'm gonna try out for AAU March 16th. Do yall have any tips for me to at least make the team, cause I really don't know how hard it will be. I'm 16 and a point or shooting guard if it helps any.

Thanks.

She makes you weak in the knees.

But she won't give you the time of day.

Here is how to get her.

Ofus

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
What kind of tips, basketball tips, lifting tips, ..??

StuartScott x 2

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
MAN BASKETBALL IS MY SPORT. For anyone else that knows my story, rehab is going well, I just started playing again last month after 8 months of rehab.

Anyway as for AAU tryouts, just look out for #1. Fukk the plays, look for your shot, drive to the hoop, draw contact, get the points, with points comes the fame. When you drive to the basket, 3 things should happen, you should score, draw the foul, or dish the rock for an open shot for your teammate.

I'm a pg also and I don't like to brag but it's impossible to guard me b/c I'm 6'3" 193 pounds NOW, but as for you just practice, practice makes perfect. Work on your handles, non stop until the 16th, work on your weak hand, the behind the back dribble and spin move are the ultimate "escape" moves. Work on the in and out dribble, I love that move, try to take and make 250 shots a day, working at GAME speed, not half assed but at GAME SPEED.

Also, this is your time to get better, summertime is when you improve, during the season, everyone is the same, practice and games, but over the summer, you're on your own. Just practice everyday, get your ball and dribble around your neighborhood and back to your house. It should take 45 minutes to 1 hour, when you dribble, you're practicing game moves. Order a pistol pete ball handling video and do the "dirty dozen" ball handling drills. I'm telling you bro, you do this from now until around June, you'll get better, between June and July, put the basketball down and lift weights and eat right, don't play basketball, maybe shoot some free throws but stay away from the cardio, try to gain 5-15 pounds, around mid july (after about 6 weeks) start playing basketball again, NONSTOP, start playing pick up ball. Don't worry about getting rusty, you'll be rusty for a couple of days but soon after, your muscle memory will take over and you'll be around where you were when you stopped playing. I know this. I've taken months and months off b/c of injury only to come back with the same skills I had before I got hurt. I just took 9 months off only to come back with about the same skills but the first couple of times I was rusty but after a few sessions, I'm back to where I was before.

When people see me play they always ask me, "how do you get your handles bla bla bla" I tell them, "man I've been working on my handles since I was like 13, just practice non stop" but people don't have that mentality, they think that when you play as much as possible you get better, you don't get better by playing, you get better by practicing by yourself.

Just practice, you're left hand (or whatever your weak hand is) should be about to fall off when you work on your handles, that's how you know you've been working hard.

Practice makes perfect.

MNRep

Don Juan
Reaction score
Try-Outs

Alright, thanks. I'm mostly looking for tips on how to improve myself in 3 weeks and impress coaches when I'm there.
btw, how hard is it to make it on an AAU Travel team?
Any other tips would be helpful..

Mr. Mystery

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It depends on how good the team your trying out for is.

Like Stuart said, practice alot. I used to wreck shop in ball, but I wanted to gain some weight so I stopped playing about a year ago, but if I wanted to, given a week or two, I could start running **** again.

I realized that I wasn't gonna make the NBA, and that I had better things to do with my time, but I plan on getting back into it once I put on a good bit of weight.

I had a nasty handle and I got it from playing with people much better than me growing up, and from practicing dribbling in my basement and on the court alone.

I don't know about making teams, I never had the grades to be on the school team, and never had the money for AAU, but I have run too many "AAU" players off the court. So if you practice, and get better you'll make the team.

Good luck.

Mr. Mystery

wheelin&dealin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Re: Try-Outs

Originally posted by MNRep
Alright, thanks. I'm mostly looking for tips on how to improve myself in 3 weeks and impress coaches when I'm there.
btw, how hard is it to make it on an AAU Travel team?
Any other tips would be helpful..
Plyometrics, quickness drills,...