Your Potential for Greatness

Sting

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I am a firm believer in that each and every human being is destined for greatness in some fashion. Each and every day I see someone, my age or younger, achieving a particular goal and think to myself “I could do that if I put my mind to it.” A psychologist might call my belief a “grandiose delusion,” which is defined as “a delusion of inflated worth, power, knowledge or identity.” However, I look at my thought process as creating a “potential reality,” one that I could make actual if I only chose to exercise the discipline and make the appropriate sacrifices to achieve it. Naturally, there are certain physical or genetic limitations that prevent me from certain achievements, but in those situations I never consider such goals as potential realities, because doing so would only be an exercise in frustration.

Now, what do my thoughts, or delusions if you will, have to do with you? If you want to eliminate the limitations you have placed on yourself, you must first adopt the mindset that you can achieve anything – within certain physical and genetic limitations – if you exercise the appropriate degree of discipline and make the appropriate sacrifices. If you continue think that your current reality, or something akin to it, constitutes the whole of your potential, you will never achieve anything remotely resembling greatness. You will languish in mediocrity and self-doubt – with only yourself to blame.