Writing a statement of purpose for medical field, advice appreciated.

Zaraza

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I'm 20 yrs old and am now applying into a nursing program. My grades have been average (3.0) which means I meet the requirements but do not excell. When you wrote your statement of purpose, what sort of things did you talk about? Life expiriences? achievements? What i want to accomplish with this thread is to find a style that i should write my paper in. How did you guys go about doing this?

Thanks

6-heads lewis

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
tell them you're a disabled, gay black woman, you'll probably fit into some minority quota.

The Bat

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
With medicine, admission personnel are looking for the whole package. This means that you must show proficiency in academics, skills, and compassion.

With nursing, they are going to be looking for people who can not only succeed and handle the academic rigor of the nursing program and clinical skills, but also someone who has the right motivation that is going to enable the person to keep coming back and practice nursing every single day for a long, long time.

Ask yourself: 20 years from now, wake up in the morning, will you be willing to go back to that hospital or clinic and do the same **** that you've been doing for the past 20 years?

Use this to motivate you to find experiences, achievements, personal successes in your life to use in the personal statement.

As far as style goes, anything will work. Open with an impressive statement or quote. Something that will capture the reader. You have to keep in mind that these academic personnel read hundreds and hundreds of personal statements every day. Your opening statement or quote HAS to stand out if they are going to pay close attention to the rest of it.

And don't let them down. Don't write cliche statements or quotes. If you do, then back it up with a good example of how it applies to your life.

Your personal statement needs to display your entire persona. You can definitely outshine other applicants with an amazing, emotional, inspiring, motivating, and dramatic personal statement regardless of your average grades.

PM me a draft if you want me to look over it.

By the way, I will be starting medical school this fall so I definitely know what I'm talking about and am a reliable source.

Good luck dude.

Zaraza

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
The Bat,

Thank you very much. Since this is my first time doing this, its nice to get some serious advice. I will most likely take you up on the offer of sending you a draft. I need to complete it first. haha.

Thanks again.