Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Would I look like a prick?

Blurry

Don Juan
Reaction score
First off I would like to make it clear that I am by no means from a wealthy family. I pay for my own university and most of my cost of living expenses.

Now recently an investment I made in BP has paid off. For a while now I've been wanting to buy myself a Rolex Submariner. I don't want one to flash my wealth or anything like that, but more as a symbol to myself that I can achieve something when I put my mind to it. Now I am in college and I am wondering if people would perceive me to be a spoiled prick or stuck up if I had one. Obviously I couldn't explain to each person that I financed it entirely myself so what would the perception of me be?

ChalengeGuyFan

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
First, few would appreciate its real worth.

Second: why? I'm sure you can find better ways to spend those money, ways that would really contribute to the quality of your life.

Have you traveled?
Have you done the activities that you wished you had done (sports & stuff)?
Do you have nice clothes and shoes?
Wouldn't you have tons of fun with girls?

And so on..

FairShake

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Blurry said:
Now recently an investment I made in BP has paid off.
Too late on that prick thing.

You can probably gauge the type of college classmate you have better than we can. Unless you are at a super hippie liberal arts college casual displays of wealth are not exactly forbidden.

And maybe it's just the hippie in me but FVCK what other people think. Especially if they think it without getting to know you.

PDubb75

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'll start this off by saying I'm very into clothes, shoes, and watches. If I could, I would spend my entire cash flow on those 3 items.

BUT! I personally would not get that watch. I could NEVER justify spending that much money on 1 watch. What price are you looking at here? As far as I know they can range from about $5,000 to $25,000.

While my first thought was "who cares if someone thinks your a prick", I thought about it a little more. You are going to get all sorts of reactions. The ones that come to mind are:

1. People thinking it's a fake and judging negatively right off the bat.
2. Intimidated - While this may be more men than women, I could see it proving to be more of a pain.
3. Gold diggers - They see you spent $10,000 on something you could have easily spent $200 on and they will expect the same treatment
4. Spoiled Stuck up Prick - Like you said... it's rare for someone at your age to be able to afford that. They will make assumptions
5. Distracted - I can see you trying to spit some game and they simply aren't paying attention to you (aside from your wrist)

Yeah, I realize this sounds like I'm just being negative, but to me it sounds like more of a pain in the ass than anything. I completely agree with ChalengeGuyFan that this money can be put to much better uses. Just think how much you can do with that amount of cash, and weigh your options.

Also, feel free to message me with some investment tips!!

Blurry

Don Juan
Reaction score
FairShake said:
Too late on that prick thing.
Ouch, blew my cover so soon?

On a more serious note thanks for the feedback. I'm looking at the more low end Rolex priced at around $4000. I really think the Submariner is a really beautiful watch and it's a shame that they have the stigma for being what stuck up spoiled kids wear.

I might get a T-Touch instead considering they are less costly and don't flaunt as much. I hate the common misconception that people my age never earn their own money. That being said, I have spent some time with the extremely rich spoiled kids that I might get mistaken for. There are a lot of them but usually you can tell which ones appreciate how much $1 is.

Theminatar

Don Juan
Reaction score
Also, you're in college. You could risk it getting stolen...

Gratz on the investment.

PrettyBoyAJ

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
How did you make this money? You made an investment?? How?

Alle_Gory

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
So you like blowing money on shiny trinkets that have little value except due to their popularity. To each his own.

What makes you look like a prick is your attitude, not what you physically look like or what you wear.

But wearing expensive things like a Rolex, will get you noticed by people. People who like money. They either have it, or they want it (goldiggers).

PrettyBoyAJ said:
How did you make this money? You made an investment?? How?
He said BP. Probably the oil company. Either he shorted the stock during the disaster or he bought it right after at it's lowest.

ArcBound

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You won't look like a prick because most people won't even care or know you have a Rolex Submariner at college.

theunflushables

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Personally, I don't think it'd make you look like a prick. A little out of place perhaps, most college kids don't even drive cars half the cost of what you'd have strapped on your wrist.

That being said, I think there would be better uses for your money. Why not invest that money again and see how much more you can make?

Reaction score
It's impossible to look like a prick. Plastic surgery hasn't progressed that far yet. :D

d!ckmojo

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Get it man. Human society is all about status. Displaying status-symbols is the most sure-fire way to get respect in life. When people respect you, everything else falls into place.

Drdeee

Banned
Reaction score
No u wouldnt look like a prick.

Thought I wouldn't get a watch for 25 k. I'd get a mustang, 93 gt modded with a bigger engine. For 13 k that's left over I'd invest into tires and interior. But then again what's 93gt for one's heart is ferarri 575 gtc for another, and maybe after all a watch is a nice acessory for you and your ride.