Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Working out as a teen

seloifter

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Quote from "Body for Life" by Bill Phillips

"Q: Should my teenage boys start this Program?

A: The Body-for-LIFE Program is intended for healthy adults - generally those over teh age of 18.

I do not bleieve young teens - ages 13 to 15 - should train with weights. At that age, I recommend calisthenics, like jumping jacks, push-ups, pull-ups, sit-ups, and running - the type of activity I used to do when I was that age.

Sixteen- and 17-year-olds can do the exercises described in this book, but their aim should be to conduct 15 to 25 repetitions per set, and using the Intensity Index, they should never exceed a level 7 effort [the intensity index is 1-10, where 1 is sitting on the couch, and 10 is where the earth is shaking and someone could offer you a million dollars to do one more rep and you couldn't do it]. You see, during puberty, teh body is so primed for growth that low-intensity resistance exercise creates results. But, during puberty, teh bones are still growing, and strenuous resistance exercise may interfere with bone grwoth; thus, teenagers should not begin working out intensely with weights until they have completely "matured" physically. Typically that's around age 18.

In terms of nutrition, I blieve teenagers should develop the habit of eating frequent, high-nutrient, protein - and carbohyidrate-containing means. However, fast-growing teenagers should not restrict calories - as long as the food is of good quality (chicken, potatoes, rice, fruit, vegetables, milk), they should eat often and plentifully.

As for teens and supplements, when something's working right, why mess with it? So when kids ask me whether they should use creatine or whatever, I say forget it. Invest in a good healthy diet. Eat the right foods six times a day. Avoid teh wrong foods. And drink alot of water."

Well, the guy is pretty knowledgeable about exercise, but my question is, what are your views on teens and exercise? Is he right?
Your comments?

DIESEL

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yeah, I would say he's on point... especially about 15 year olds obsessed with their max bench press and how big their biceps are..

I didn't start lifting til I was 17, and I figured I didn't really get a fukkin' clue as to proper training and nutrition til I stopped reading the "magazines" when I was 19.

D

chim_chim

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
You see, during puberty, teh body is so primed for growth that low-intensity resistance exercise creates results.
Sure you can get some results, but the most muscular high schoolers are the ones that lift heavy.

But, during puberty, teh bones are still growing, and strenuous resistance exercise may interfere with bone grwoth; thus, teenagers should not begin working out intensely with weights until they have completely "matured" physically. Typically that's around age 18.
I'd like to see evidence that weightlifting interferes with bone growth.

sonick182

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Working out PROPERLY will not interfere with growth, and does not stunt your growth. Its all a myth...

The only way to do it wrong is if you do something stupid, and hurt a growth plate, thatll seriously f*ck you up. But thats rare if yo're not screwing around when working out.

KmZDon

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by sonick182
Working out PROPERLY will not interfere with growth, and does not stunt your growth. Its all a myth...

The only way to do it wrong is if you do something stupid, and hurt a growth plate, thatll seriously f*ck you up. But thats rare if yo're not screwing around when working out.
amen!