Wisdom tooth removal

blinkwatt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I just had a wisdom tooth removed this morning at around 11:30 and it is still bleeding pretty bad to were the gauzes are covered with blood 5 hours later. Is this an excessive amount or normal?

SmoothTalker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
After 5 hours I would say that is still pretty normal. I had 4 removed a month ago and I think I bled for like 4 hours, but afterwards I would wake up with small amounts of blood in my month for like the next 2 weeks. If it's still bleeding noticibly tomorrow morning, then I would probably call your dentist.

Googs

Don Juan
Reaction score
I had one moved (not smart) as well before I got all them removed. Mine bled enormously for about 2 days and I had to call the dentist. He kept telling me it'll be alright but to put tea bags where it's bleeding. I'd call the dentist too if it keeps bleeding after 5-6 more hours.

penkitten

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
put in a new gauze and then bite down. keep the pressure on it. stop talking and moving the gauze around. dont eat or drink anything for an hour.

then you can eat soft things, but do not drink out of a straw or smoke or brush your teeth or rinse yet.

you can brush softly and use salt water rinse tommorrow. you can smoke and use a straw in like five days.

take your pain meds and go to bed and hopefully the bleeding will stop soon.

if it is still excessive by this evening, call the dentist.

LoneSilver

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I had two pulled last year as one was compacted but didn't have to use the extra gauzes the dentist gave me for any large amounts of bleeding.

I was given the instructions to rise my mouth with a salt and water mixture to prevent dry socket which is a painful condition if it occurs so I hope the dentist or assistant mentioned the salt and water wash mixture after each meal to you if your able to eat.

I was also told small pieces of tooth may surface as the socket heals over time but I didn't have that problem either.

If your really concerned call your dentist.

Hope this helps.

LoneSilver

LoneSilver

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I see Penkitten had already mentioned the salt and water rinse something that is really important to prevent the dry socket(s).

LoneSilver

penkitten

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
LoneSilver said:
I see Penkitten had already mentioned the salt and water rinse something that is really important to prevent the dry socket(s).

LoneSilver
dry socket is a mutha effer !!

LoneSilver

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
From what I hear it is very painful but treatable and surprisingly dentist and their assistants fail to mention the salt and water wash during the healing process.

LoneSilver :)

penkitten said:
dry socket is a mutha effer !!

Oxide

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I can feel my wisdom teeth with my tongue... but I don't want to get them pulled !!

LoneSilver

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I know for years the dentist would show me the X-ray of my impacted wisdom tooth the lower one and recommended to have this extracted. At the time it wasn't bothering me but it was hard to get back there to clean and it not being all the way in or out I had to make sure to floss so food didn't get caught.

Long story short 10 years later I wake up with a annoying tooth ache and it was the impacted one giving me the headache so having the lower left side extracted the dentist just took the upper on that side out. I still have my other two which are completely in.

Personally, I don't believe there is a law that says you must have your wisdoms taken out that is if they are all the way in. I would leave them and not worry about it which that was my plan except the one impacted one started hurting and that screwed that plan up ;) but all is good now.

Not sure if anyone else here has this but I still have a baby tooth.

LoneSilver

Precursor

Don Juan
Reaction score
Please Do Salt Water Rinse. Very Important.

I had all 4 of mines removed 7 months ago. I say its normal. I bled for about 6 hours using up the extra gauze and you wake up with small amounts over a period of a week. Enjoy the experience bro

penkitten

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
wisdom teeth dont always have to be removed, its just that most ppl dont have room in their jaws for them and others are impacted. mine came in just fine and i never realised they were there until they decayed. my dentist said that wisdom teeth decay really fast, so he pulled them and i never had a problem.
i have had other back teeth pulled that left little pieces inside but they dont bother me now.