Windshield cracked, a rock hit it. Repair it? did this happen to you?

Zaraza

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I was driving to school on the highway, and then BOOM CRACK! A rock hit my windshield, i now have 3 cracks. If this has happened to you, did you repair it? I have heard about those epoxy gels that you inject into the windshield, but i am doubtful that they work. Should i even repair it? my car is 1994 altima, I also have a mazda 6 so its not my only car. Is it dangerous to drive with a cracked windshield?

Thanks for the input

Z

Alle_Gory

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Epoxy gels work on small cracks. Smaller is better.

Fix it or replace it before it spiders out of control. Depending on the size it is dangerous to drive with a cracked windshield. Its already damaged and cannot protect you well.

mpimpin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Go ahead and replace it.

picard

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I think you better replace the windshield. small repair is suitable only for minor crack however you have 3 big cracks on the windshield. my car windshield had only a minor crack but it cost 50 bucks to repair it. if you try to repair those 3 big cracks, it will cost more than a new windshield.

Zaraza

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
damn, lol i was hoping for people to encourage me into not fixing it. Since its an old car and will break soon probably. I guess ill give it more consideration and take it to a shop to see how much they would charge for repairs. Then compare that to the price of a new one.

If another rock hits it, you think it will shatter? Cuz at 60mph a shattering windshield would really suck ass!

Thanks guys.

taiyuu_otoko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Whatever you do, the longer you wait to decide will only increase the chances of it shattering while you are driving, sending shards of jagged glass into your eyes, causing you to flip and spin out of control into a fiery ball of unrealized sexual conquests.

Your call.

Maxtro

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Before you do anything you need to get two estimates. The cost to replace the windshield and the value of the car. Since you have two cars, to you the actual value of the Altima is less then its monetary value.

So consider if replacing the windshield makes financial sense.

wolf116

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
When I was sooo poor that this was going to force me to sell my car I did this.

Drive around and find a big truck carrying gravel.
Get the address/number of the company off the side.
Write them a letter about how rocks were falling off the truck and hit your car.
Include photos and a quote for a new screen.

Alle_Gory

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Zaraza said:
If another rock hits it, you think it will shatter? Cuz at 60mph a shattering windshield would really suck ass!
The rock must hit at 30.10023 to 90.21198 degrees parallel to the center longitudinal road divider and not exceeding 68.344442111233 mph southwest velocity.

Da Realist

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If it's a small crack, just have someone put some glue in all 3 and you're done; it's cheap and simple. If they are exceed a certain length, you may have to just get your windshield repaired. When I did it, it only cost a hundred, so it's no big expense compared to the value of your car.

AlexTheGreat

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
To fools who don't know anything about car windshields, know that modern cars are equipped with Laminated Glass windshields that include a plastic film layer to hold the window together in case it shatters. Therefore no piece of glass will fall in your eyes if you hit another rock. In fact, you could crash your car into a tree and the probability that the glass you cultivate from your eyes comes from the windshield is approximately null.

If the cracks don't progress further, you should be good. But you should definitely go to some parts store and buy windshield repair kits, and patch the end parts of the cracks to stop it from propagating, and possibly the hit-point itself.

Good luck.

Maxtro

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
San Jose California said:
That happened to me too. A rock came from the sky and cracked my windshield. The crack really slowly extended until it stopped at a certain point. I also wonder how rocks like that can fall from the sky, as it was on the freeway where it's wide open and nothing was above us.
Asteroid.

Alle_Gory

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
AlexTheGreat said:
To fools who don't know anything about car windshields
Go home everyone! The decree has been passed down to us mortals.

A windshields job is to protect you against more than just wind. A cracked windshield is a weakened windshield. The plastic laminate is only strong enough to hold the glass together after it shatters.