Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Windows XP, say it ain't so!

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Haunted by the memory of creating one operating system years ago that doesn't self-destruct, Microsoft is now going to destroy it remotely by ending support. That is the future of commerce when everything from cars to appliances becomes web enabled. When the manufacturer decides it is time for you to buy a new one, all they have to do is "end support," and it will be like a kill switch for what is supposed to be your property, not theirs.

People who understand computers better than me seem to think hackers are immediately going to break into the XP machines because it will be easy. I don't understand what I have to steal, but ok.

This article mentions three free Linux alternatives:
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2107...ndows-xp-refugees-who-dont-want-a-new-pc.html

If anyone has input on the choice between Zorin, Ubuntu, and LXLE, that would be great. Please respect my ignorance by using small words and oversimplified terminology in your answer.

Huffman

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You do know that - for every product - there is a limited support time. In Windows XP's case, the official support ended several years ago already.

However, since so many people (and businesses) were still using XP, Microsoft decided to extend the support for another couple of years - mainly because Vista was crap - which is already surprisingly nice!

Now, that has been 3 years ago, and everybody KNEW and was told TIME AND TIME AGAIN that XP was about to become a ticking time bomb.

Don't tell me this hit you overnight. That thing is 13 years old. It has already lived far longer than is healthy.

Huffman

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
People won't "break in immediately", however the risk of getting more spyware and computer viruses will be (moderately) increased. I wouldn't recommend to use the internet on that computer then. Good Antivirus should take care of most of the trouble though.

I would recommend Windows 7 (not 8). If you want to try Linux, go with Ubuntu. It's fairly easy to use and has been around for a long time.

Eph

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm glad it is finally about to come to an end. As a web developer, I'd had to keep in mind Internet Explorer 8 users (XP can't get past 8) because of XP. As a PC Tech, I have to deal with old XP computers. The only time I haven't had to deal with XP is as an applications developer, and that is just because I haven't made any desktop programs as of yet. If only Vista wasn't such a flop, XP could have died off years ago.

You should really look at 7 or 8(.1), if you want to stay with Windows. I recommend 8(.1) because even though you may not like the Modern UI (the tiles), you can use it the same way you use Windows 7, or XP. You can stay on the desktop all day, everyday if you want. 7 and 8 are both excellent.

Since you seem (and say you are) a little tech illiterate, you may also want to look at a Mac. I don't like Apple products, but they are supposed to be extremely user-friendly.

If you really want to go Linux, go for Ubuntu. Although, Linux isn't exactly meant to be user-friendly. It was made for developers after all.

Desdinova

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Bible_Belt said:
Haunted by the memory of creating one operating system years ago that doesn't self-destruct, Microsoft is now going to destroy it remotely by ending support. That is the future of commerce when everything from cars to appliances becomes web enabled. When the manufacturer decides it is time for you to buy a new one, all they have to do is "end support," and it will be like a kill switch for what is supposed to be your property, not theirs.
This is why I chose to abandon Microsoft's operating systems after Windows 2000. I don't agree with the idea of approving your customer's purchasing loyalty. If there's one thing that I always realized about Microsoft, it's that having their OSes pirated actually made them more dominant.

Now that things are becoming more webby in today's world, the OS that one uses isn't as significant. People are using Apple and Linux a lot more in today's world, and they get the job done just as well as Microsoft, and sometimes better.

Windows 8 pissed off a lot of people, and with how pretty much every other company is dominating the markets that Microsoft is failing to penetrate, the last thing they need is to have a flop in the area that they still dominate. If they want to make themselves significant again, put the install DVDs back into the computer packages, and let people go back to stealing for a while.

With Microsoft having a new CEO, it's unlikely that they're going to get their dominant position back. If anything, it's likely going to sink even deeper.

ChalengeGuyFan

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It finally dies! That's great news for users and developers, alike!
Technology has evolved a lot, guys. Keep up with it!

Eph said:
If you really want to go Linux, go for Ubuntu. Although, Linux isn't exactly meant to be user-friendly. It was made for developers after all.
Everything you said is wrong. Give KUbuntu (with a k!) a try and see for yourself. Use a Live CD, so you don't have to install it.

BTW, being computer-illiterate in today's world is like being an actual illiterate in the past. You're at a great disadvantage and should feel ashamed.
Unless you're retired and over 60, you should get your act together and learn how to properly use a computer.

Desdinova

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
ChalengeGuyFan said:
I
BTW, being computer-illiterate in today's world is like being an actual illiterate in the past. You're at a great disadvantage and should feel ashamed.
Unless you're retired and over 60, you should get your act together and learn how to properly use a computer.
If anything, I think Microsoft has helped dumb down the general population when it comes to using computers. They buy computers with operating systems pre-installed, and they don't come with a re-install CD. They aren't giving the user the power to remedy their own systems. The best way to eliminate a virus or spyware these days is to wipe the hard drive and re-install. Users aren't given the power to do that. The anti-virus companies who take your money rejoice over user stupidity.

I come from the days of DOS and BASIC where you had to study a book to learn how to use your computer. These days, everything is done for you. The only manual you get with a computer is how to connect everything together.

Oh, you know how to use Excel? That's nice. I know how to break into your computer with a lowly USB flash drive.

Eph

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
ChalengeGuyFan said:
Everything you said is wrong. Give KUbuntu (with a k!) a try and see for yourself. Use a Live CD, so you don't have to install it.
Kubuntu, like Ubuntu and all other Linux distros, (again) were never really meant to be. Linux's claim to fame isn't user-friendliness. Its power/control in the form of the Terminal. Why do Linux users need power? Because Linux was made for developers, not end-users! Windows holds your hand every step of the way. Which is a nice precaution for those who just want to read an email, or look at Youtube. Linux, on the other hand, assumes you know what you're doing. Maybe read up on your operating systems a bit.

And using a Live CD just so you don't have to install the OS is ridiculous. He would be better off installing it into a virtual machine, or even dual-booting.

LiveFreeX

Banned
Reaction score
Get LINUX MINT OLIVIA

This is what I'm running in addition to windows.. I am able to choose between the two at startup. UBUNTU is really easy to use if all you want your computer for is the web but it doesn't come with enough programs to make it useful for anything else. Mint includes a free office package, graphics processing, movie players... all the things you take for granted that windows has... well Mint has all of them but for free. Mint loads faster and looks just like windows except it will likely have everything you need from the get go. You don't have to setup any drivers or do anything extra to run the net, just install the OS and you are all set.

The only thing I can't get my head around is BASH but I rarely need it for anything anyway.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks Livefree, and to everyone else for the advice.

When I say I am computer ignorant, I mean in comparison to what I can see is the highly respectable knowledge and skill of our many sosuave posters who have active careers in the field. I used to have to do tech support for a stock brokerage, but that was a long time ago. That's why I knew enough to have XP put on my current machine. I had it built for me; PCs at the time all had Vista. I felt like I had outsmarted Microsoft, and I did, at least for the past seven years. But now they played their trump card, the 'end support' kill switch.

Have you ever heard of Curtis Mathes TVs? I'm guessing not. They made televisions at a factory in Texas. My parents bought one when I was four years old. That TV never quit working. I finally took it to be recycled about ten years ago. It was picking up cel phone calls. Curtis Mathes went bankrupt because they made a product that never quit; no one ever had to buy a second TV. That is a cardinal sin of capitalism - making your quality so high that you drive yourself out of business. If only those Curtis Mathes TVs had been operating systems, they could have just "ended support" and the company might still be in business.

This is the future of everything being connected. You're also connected to the manufacturer, who will inevitably pull the plug on your device at regular intervals so that you have to buy something new.

ChalengeGuyFan

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Eph said:
Kubuntu, like Ubuntu and all other Linux distros, (again) were never really meant to be. Linux's claim to fame isn't user-friendliness. Its power/control in the form of the Terminal. Why do Linux users need power? Because Linux was made for developers, not end-users! Windows holds your hand every step of the way. Which is a nice precaution for those who just want to read an email, or look at Youtube. Linux, on the other hand, assumes you know what you're doing. Maybe read up on your operating systems a bit.

And using a Live CD just so you don't have to install the OS is ridiculous. He would be better off installing it into a virtual machine, or even dual-booting.
Instead of "reading up on my operating systems a bit", I used them all. Average Joe does not *have* to use the terminal - clicking around is enough. People *choose* to use the terminal for more advanced stuff or to get things done faster.

+1 for Linux Mint

goldengoose

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
April 8th is the last day for XP updates and they said you can try to download windows 8 but it most likely won't work. Just another way for them to make more money off the public. Don't know if this is true but I read somewhere that said 35% of people still have XP.

Desdinova

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
LiveFreeX said:
UBUNTU is really easy to use if all you want your computer for is the web but it doesn't come with enough programs to make it useful for anything else.
Haha, what?

I run Ubuntu on every computer in my house. I use it for everything. I have a computer in my living room that I use to stream Youtube videos ad-free with an app called MiniTube. I use VLC for recording stuff off my dish. I use WINE to run some really old Windows programs that I just can't let go - including my music recording software.

Linux is at a point where it's just as good as the others out there. It has a pretty bad stigma for being a complicated command-line-only OS. The command line just gives you more power if you know how to use it. There's also a TON of support for Ubuntu via the message forums.

I've been using Ubuntu since 2006 and it's only gotten better.

The only thing I can't get my head around is BASH but I rarely need it for anything anyway.
I use BASH to create executable scripts for things that I cannot download. I've got a computer in the bedroom that executes a BASH script at startup, which in turn fires up a music player. I've got fvck music at the touch of a button.

People usually come to me, wanting me to fix their virus-infected Windows computers. I tell them that I no longer work on Windows computers, but I offer to install Linux for them. Some say yes, some say no.

Married Buried

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I still have XP and I love it, will never change it as long as possible. Tried to install it on my wifes laptop but it wouldn't take. Downloaded Windows 7 torrent and had it easily installed in minutes. Been running it for 2 years already no problems. How much do they charge for Windows 7 again?

Huffman

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Bible_Belt said:
I had it built for me; PCs at the time all had Vista. I felt like I had outsmarted Microsoft
Yeah, Vista was total crap. Even fat arrogant Ballmer himself recently admitted that it was the worst thing that happened during his being CEO :D

But Windows 7 literally took everything that was wrong with Vista and made it right. It's superior in every sense.

Anyway I just thought it strange that you were so surprised at XP's support ending. Such has been the nature in the business for over 30 years. 13 of which had active and free support for XP! Way longer than what is normal. If anything, they should be commended for that.

Here in Germany, a lot of companies are crying BOHO THIS IS SOOO UNFAIR! WE CANT AFFORD TO UPGRADE! Nope guys, it was announced YEARS ago! People (and small companies) just have to learn that every product has a limited lifespan, and computer software will depreciate over time just as industrial machines do. If you're running a business, you have to include this fact in your accounting. In some countries, this depreciation even gives you a tax benefit.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Huffman said:
Anyway I just thought it strange that you were so surprised at XP's support ending. Such has been the nature in the business for over 30 years. 13 of which had active and free support for XP! Way longer than what is normal. If anything, they should be commended for that.
I thought "support" just meant fixing their own screw-ups? Is there more to it than that?

OzyBoy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I don't use windows any more it gave me the ****s last year (windows 7) so i installed ubuntu and i'm very happy with it after the initial learning curve.:up: :up: :flowers:

Huffman

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Bible_Belt said:
I thought "support" just meant fixing their own screw-ups? Is there more to it than that?
Half yes, half no. These days Software has become so complex that nobody can predict what weird stuff is going to surface in 10 years, when people have been using your product in all kinds of creative ways.

Most products have a limited warranty. The company has to cut the support at some time. But I guess they should offer a clear contract where it says how long the support will be from the start.

Huffman

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Funky stuff!
http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/Niedersachsen-verlaengert-XP-Support-bis-2015-2155622.html

The German state government of Lower Saxony is currently negotiating with Microsoft to extend support to 2015. This is so stupid, I can't believe it. I'll translate the relevant bits for you:

Initially, private software company T-Systems had been commissioned to upgrade all government machines to a new Windows version in time. However, due to "financial concerns", the contract was terminated ONE YEAR AGO and, instead, negotiations with Microsoft began.

This extension is being paid for with TAX MONEY. The department was unavailable for comment on the actual costs. However, a Microsoft manager said "The price for such an extension is usually so high that most private companies can't afford it".

This is what happens when you sleep, when all this has been known for many years. Public administration, **** yeah! Don't get me started on the new Airport Berlin BER - it's what happens when you spend tax money and don't have to answer to anyone.