Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Will the chest press bulk out my chest as much as the flat bench press?

bigshot

Don Juan
Reaction score
Was just wondering if the chest press (machine) is as effective in building my pecs as much as the flat bench press?
Im asking this because I dont have access to free weights at the moment, just machines.

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
no, it isn't but it's better than nothing.

the flat bench isn't the best chest builder anyway

Quagmire911

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
bigshot said:
Was just wondering if the chest press (machine) is as effective in building my pecs as much as the flat bench press?
Im asking this because I dont have access to free weights at the moment, just machines.

If you're a complete beginner you will get some benefit out of it. But only to a point.

However, free weights are always superior for a number of reasons. If nothing else is available continue with it, but move onto free weights as soon as you can.

As far as chest mass, incline bench is also better than flat. With free weights you'd be incorporating different lifts for overall progression like incline/decline, normal grip/close grip-whatever. With machines you can't do these things.

Quagmire

bigshot

Don Juan
Reaction score
Warboss Alex said:
no, it isn't but it's better than nothing.

the flat bench isn't the best chest builder anyway
Im assuming the incline bench press is a better chest builder?

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
bigshot said:
Im assuming the incline bench press is a better chest builder?
correct, because of fascial stretch. it stimulates the entire chest, not just the upper

Crazy Asian

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
right now i use a chest press (i'm assuming it's the thing where you sit up and press your arms from the sides inward) because it does not hurt my shoulder like flat benching does. but i do believe that flat bencing is better

playa99

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
lol you use 15% more chest muscle when you bench than when you chest press

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
playa99 said:
lol you use 15% more chest muscle when you bench than when you chest press
incorrect.. the chest muscles will be more activated in a chest press machine. but press machines are easy and therefore will not give you the same results.

bench press (the proper way) doesn't affect the pectoral muscles very much, it's much more of a tricep/lat move.

bigshot

Don Juan
Reaction score
Seriously...What would i do without you guys!? :cool:

Thanks =)

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I've always heard that dips were the "best" chest exercise.

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Inclines can be done at any angle from 10 to 45 degree, anything higher than that and it's more of a shoulder press.

Dips are great but when they get heavy they may bother your shoulders forcing you to keep the rep range higher and the weight lower, with the incline press you use more weight. (if we're talking hypertrophy)

edit: i meant 'rep range higher and weight lower'

Last edited:

Mad Manic

Banned
Reaction score
Warboss Alex said:
Inclines can be done at any angle from 10 to 45 degree, anything higher than that and it's more of a shoulder press.

Dips are great but when they get heavy they may bother your shoulders forcing you to keep the rep range higher and the reps lower, with the incline press you use more weight. (if we're talking hypertrophy)
Yes weighted dips start placing a lot of stress on the shoulders/rotator cuff when you get more advanced and deal with a lot of weight. I know lol.

NickSCFC2000

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Espi said:
IMO, the incline is THE money builder when it comes to building the upper chest, which is most visually manifest and appealing...just be sure to lower the weights just short of your clavicle area...I see too many guys lowering the weight to the middle of their pecs, which is not as effective for building the upper chest.
I prefer to use dumbells for incline, it's easier to feel where the stretch is occurring compared to pressing a bar I reckon.

cuzza

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I prefer dumbells for incline stuff because I always prefer dumbells over a bar for benching, just not a fan of it. Secondly, I train alone and I don't feel safe racking and unracking an inclined bar when there's some weight on it.

Frink'

Don Juan
Reaction score
Isn't there something about freeweights being better than machenes because they have side to side movement too?

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Frink' said:
Isn't there something about freeweights being better than machenes because they have side to side movement too?
you need to be stronger to balance the free weights as well as lift them, yes.

onyx

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
i always use dumb bells when pressing my chest..start with the incline do 6x3, then flat for the same...i train by myself so i feel safer i used to use barbell and though i never got pinned it almost happening a few times