Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Will a normal belt work as a weightlifting belt?

CaptainJ

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Curious to know will a normal 1 inch leather belt give similar, if not the same benefits as a weightlifting belt? Only a 3 inch belt would be able to fit my short torso anyway, so should i opt for the cheap option?

kingsam

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
seeing that normal belts are designed to keep ur trousers up not to keep you in proper form lifting...probably not...

dude just buy a real wightlifitng belt, dont be cheap, they cant cost that much...

CaptainJ

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Kerpal said:
No, it won't work. Regular belts are too thin and designed to go lower on your torso. Plus you probably wouldn't be able to get it tight enough.

Are you sure a 4" won't fit? I got this belt: http://www.inzernet.com/detail_econobelt.asp?PRODUCT_ID=ECON_POWER_BELT It works great and it was only $40 + shipping.
4 inches is definitely too big, as I measure 2.8 inches from hip bone to bottom of rib cage and I read in a 70sbig article that if the belt goes onto the bottom of the ribcage, then you could be in for an injury.

I've made extra holes in the belt, so that it fits nice and tight around the torso. Surely it will provide some kind of support? Is it a good cheap alternative solution until I can find the right belt for me?

Colossus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
4" is not too big, you just cant wear it too high. Guys are squatting 800-1000 lbs with 4", 13mm belts and doing just fine. I use the same for all my big pulls and squats.

Remember the purpose of a belt is to give you something to 'push' against instead of the weaker muscles of your abdominal wall. It increases intra-abdominal pressure and prevents herniations and strains.

A clothing belt will not work. Ever. If you are asking that you probably arent even strong enough to need a belt. No offense.

CaptainJ

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Colossus said:
4" is not too big, you just cant wear it too high. Guys are squatting 800-1000 lbs with 4", 13mm belts and doing just fine. I use the same for all my big pulls and squats.

Remember the purpose of a belt is to give you something to 'push' against instead of the weaker muscles of your abdominal wall. It increases intra-abdominal pressure and prevents herniations and strains.

A clothing belt will not work. Ever. If you are asking that you probably arent even strong enough to need a belt. No offense.
None taken. You say the a clothing belt would not work? What does this mean? you mean that it will provide no support whatsoever? Because I would have thought that different size belts provide different degrees of support, not just "it works" or "it doesn't work". I'm not trying to defend a clothing belt, I just want clarification as to if it will provide any support whatsoever. Yes I'm not strong enough to NEED a belt, but i've read articles that belts do nothing but good, both for getting stronger and staying injury free.

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I was thinking about this earlier, and I don't think a belt is going to prevent a hernia if you're genetically predisposed to them. In fact, it may increase your chances of getting once, since it increases IAP.

cffrmw

Don Juan
Reaction score
I would recommend NOT using a belt until you get close to the point that you will need one. Not using a belt lets you use more stabilizer muscles and will strengthen them as well. A belt is only used to prevent injuries. PLUS, if you start without a belt you should be able to feel it when you aren't using correct form, which will hopefully lead you to doing the exercise right in the first place, so that when you do start using a belt you don't hurt yourself from bad form.

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
cffrmw said:
I would recommend NOT using a belt until you get close to the point that you will need one. Not using a belt lets you use more stabilizer muscles and will strengthen them as well. A belt is only used to prevent injuries. PLUS, if you start without a belt you should be able to feel it when you aren't using correct form, which will hopefully lead you to doing the exercise right in the first place, so that when you do start using a belt you don't hurt yourself from bad form.
How do we know when we need one?

Which stabilizer muscles don't get worked when using a belt?

What about the belt prevents you from knowing if your form is bad?

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Kerpal said:
How do we know when we need one?

Which stabilizer muscles don't get worked when using a belt?

What about the belt prevents you from knowing if your form is bad?
:confused:

mikeyb

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
No, a regular belt won't work! Not that you'd be the first to try though.

Jitterbug

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
That guy deadlifted raw 350kg + 90kg from the bands with no belt, no wraps, just chalk.

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yeah I know about KK, but why did you post that?

CaptainJ

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I think they are trying to say that you shouldn't bother with weightlifting belts. Which is ironic because Konstantinov trains with belts, in fact he probably wouldn't be as strong as he is without belt training.

Also a comparison to a professional genetic beast like Konstantinov will always fall on its face.

waynejohn

Don Juan
Reaction score
I don't understand why the issue of belts is complicated.

1) Belts are not needed to prevent injury
2) Belts increase the pressure in the trunk thus stabilizing the body and helping strengthen the core, abs, and back
3) Wearing belts over time helps improve strength a bit better than wearing no belt during that same period of training
4) Get a real belt when you have access, have the money, and can find the one in the shade of pink that you prefer.

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
CaptainJ said:
I think they are trying to say that you shouldn't bother with weightlifting belts. Which is ironic because Konstantinov trains with belts, in fact he probably wouldn't be as strong as he is without belt training.

Also a comparison to a professional genetic beast like Konstantinov will always fall on its face.
+1

I used to be on the fence about belts. But eventually I realized wearing one is a good idea.