Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

why so sore?

sadburger

Don Juan
Reaction score
Hey Guys, finally decided to signup after visiting this site off and on for years... learned a lot from here.

Anyways, I am getting ready to start a serious diet and workout program to bulk up and cut some body fat and get into great shape. I'm really motivated and looking forward to it (going to be putting up a lifting journal in the next week or so once I really get going). I've been going to the gym off an on for a long time, and regularly the last 3-4 months. Mainly chest arms etc, nothing real serious and I didn't have a good program.

So I'm getting ready to do the Starting Strength program and i'm at the end of day five of the anabolic diet. I had to travel this week so I knew tuesday would be my only real day in the gym so I decided to do a routine from starting strength just to get the hang out of... squats bench and deads. I have never really done squats or deads before but I practiced the technique beforehand and was sure to warmup (did warmup sqauts with nothing, then the bar, then 50 on the bar). I did a set with 90 on the bar and thought it might be a bit much to start with so put the 50 back on it. two more sets of 5. Bench went okay, and the deads were fine.

Anyways, three full days later and my thighs are still so freaking sore! Wednesday and thursday I could barely move, walking up stairs was a major pain. What did I do wrong? Is this just a facet of never really working out my legs before? Did I have bad technique? Is it going to be like this everytime? I'm anxious to get on this program but if I'm going to be unable to move for three days after each workout that's not going to work well...

donjuanjovi

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Google D.O.M.S., or 'delayed onset muscle soreness'.

It's perfectly normal, especially for a beginner.

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yup. It's normal.

Keep at it, you'll be amazed how quickly you can add weight to the bar when you first start, just make sure your form is good.

stronglifts

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
sadburger said:
So I'm getting ready to do the Starting Strength program and i'm at the end of day five of the anabolic diet. I had to travel this week so I knew tuesday would be my only real day in the gym so I decided to do a routine from starting strength just to get the hang out of... squats bench and deads. I have never really done squats or deads before but I practiced the technique beforehand and was sure to warmup (did warmup sqauts with nothing, then the bar, then 50 on the bar). I did a set with 90 on the bar and thought it might be a bit much to start with so put the 50 back on it. two more sets of 5. Bench went okay, and the deads were fine.

Anyways, three full days later and my thighs are still so freaking sore! Wednesday and thursday I could barely move, walking up stairs was a major pain. What did I do wrong? Is this just a facet of never really working out my legs before? Did I have bad technique? Is it going to be like this everytime? I'm anxious to get on this program but if I'm going to be unable to move for three days after each workout that's not going to work well...
Retrain your legs. 3x a week as described in starting strength. It will help the soreness go away.

If you never squatted before, yes you will feel it in your legs. Persist, you'll get tough with time.

sadburger

Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks everyone... pretty much what I thought, but I wanted to make sure you guys didn't think I had screwed up badly. I worked on technique for awhile before actually starting just so I would have the basics down.

Stronglifts, your blog/page has been really great source of info for me, and got me interested in the anabolic diet. Love the videos and info!

stronglifts

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
sadburger said:
Thanks everyone... pretty much what I thought, but I wanted to make sure you guys didn't think I had screwed up badly. I worked on technique for awhile before actually starting just so I would have the basics down.

Stronglifts, your blog/page has been really great source of info for me, and got me interested in the anabolic diet. Love the videos and info!
Tnx sadburger. If you have ideas/critiques/questions for the blog, feel free to send them.

(JJ)

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
pain and soreness are just weakness leaving the body :up: ... but yea they do hurt like a b!tch when you havent done em in a while.

joekerr31

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
of course its normal, why do you think they make stuff like A535!

lildevil

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I don't need a diet my coach at school is freaking killing my ass.. He makes us run four miles then do crunches ,push ups, and leg ups...One of this days im going to get heat stroke...it wouldn't matter mother****er has no compassion he would throw water